Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2020, 08:08 PM

8,180 posts, read 16,589,448 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm looking for a hills that may be good to look out and watch 'local' fireworks below. With all the trees around, it hard to tell which areas may have a better view of things? I'm thinking those which are more developed that have some views.

The best hilly areas I am somewhat familiar with are those in Camas (any good ones in particular?), Washougal hills (around Lookout Ridge) and possibly near WSU-V. Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks,

Derek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2020, 05:34 PM

5,316 posts, read 7,604,151 times
My neighborhood in Camas goes crazy. People watch from the grass lawn behind Klickitat Park and from all the balconies on the houses above the park.

You can park in the park's little parking lot and walk up to the big grass lawn behind the playground equipment and picnic shelter from where you will have a view of the surrounding area and downtown Portland. There are some benches but I'd bring a blanket. It's only a few locals that show up so it won't be crowded. Fireworks will be going off in all directions on all the surrounding streets.

Old 07-07-2020, 08:24 PM

Thanks, Texasdiver. I think we'll keep that as an option for next year. I was outvoted by the wife and kids. They wanted to stay around our neighborhood this year since we went out last year to Ft. Vancouver's show.

Whoa, this place is crazy!! I don't know if it's just our part of Vancouver (UGA), but people were going nuts. I mean they were letting off more fireworks than I've seen anywhere. Could it be a Covid thing (being pent up), a WA or Vancouver thing or something else??? I don't really know. But it was pretty wild.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 07-07-2020 at 09:08 PM..

Old 07-09-2020, 09:25 PM

1,066 posts, read 884,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Thanks, Texasdiver. I think we'll keep that as an option for next year. I was outvoted by the wife and kids. They wanted to stay around our neighborhood this year since we went out last year to Ft. Vancouver's show.

Whoa, this place is crazy!! I don't know if it's just our part of Vancouver (UGA), but people were going nuts. I mean they were letting off more fireworks than I've seen anywhere. Could it be a Covid thing (being pent up), a WA or Vancouver thing or something else??? I don't really know. But it was pretty wild.

Derek
It was nuts across the country from what I've seen given the cancellation of public fireworks. The video of L.A. was crazy, and I've heard it was similarly crazy through the mountain regions, midwest, east coast.

Old 07-10-2020, 06:21 AM

3,841 posts, read 4,494,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post

Derek
Great shot!

Hey I seem to remember seeing you over on the California forums? How are you enjoying Washington? We recently moved here to Vancouver ourselves and so far loving it, in spite of getting here at the end of March when Covid was really starting to hit hard and the lockdowns were in full force. So many beautiful places to walk!

So yeah, how 'bout those fireworks! I'm a native Californian, and as a kid we had sparklers and on occasion someone had something with a little more flare. But the tradition was always going to some park or beach and seeing the professional displays.

So 4th of July, here in Vancouver, hubs and I went down to the waterfront in the early evening and took a nice bike ride around, and as the sun was starting to go down we saw a few fireworks across the river as we were riding along and it was pretty cool.

We had heard that Fort Vancouver put on quite a show, but knew it was cancelled, so we headed for home, planning on a quiet evening watching the musical 1776. We live in an apartment within Vancouver city limits and saw the big flashing sign "no fireworks!" but could still hear some pops and saw some lights in the sky. We parked up and started to head upstairs but we kept hearing more and more noise, so we got curious and jumped into the car and started heading north and we saw so many fireworks in the sky! We could not believe what we were seeing! We pulled down a neighborhood street to watch, and chatted with some folks about it, and they explained that fireworks were allowed in the county, as long as they were outside city limits, and that it's a party every year!

We thought it was the coolest thing and my hubby, who is from England, (and is now a U.S. citizen) turned into a giddy kid and had the biggest grin from ear to ear!

Old 07-12-2020, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
Great shot!

Hey I seem to remember seeing you over on the California forums? How are you enjoying Washington? We recently moved here to Vancouver ourselves and so far loving it, in spite of getting here at the end of March when Covid was really starting to hit hard and the lockdowns were in full force. So many beautiful places to walk!

So yeah, how 'bout those fireworks! I'm a native Californian, and as a kid we had sparklers and on occasion someone had something with a little more flare. But the tradition was always going to some park or beach and seeing the professional displays.

So 4th of July, here in Vancouver, hubs and I went down to the waterfront in the early evening and took a nice bike ride around, and as the sun was starting to go down we saw a few fireworks across the river as we were riding along and it was pretty cool.

We had heard that Fort Vancouver put on quite a show, but knew it was cancelled, so we headed for home, planning on a quiet evening watching the musical 1776. We live in an apartment within Vancouver city limits and saw the big flashing sign "no fireworks!" but could still hear some pops and saw some lights in the sky. We parked up and started to head upstairs but we kept hearing more and more noise, so we got curious and jumped into the car and started heading north and we saw so many fireworks in the sky! We could not believe what we were seeing! We pulled down a neighborhood street to watch, and chatted with some folks about it, and they explained that fireworks were allowed in the county, as long as they were outside city limits, and that it's a party every year!

We thought it was the coolest thing and my hubby, who is from England, (and is now a U.S. citizen) turned into a giddy kid and had the biggest grin from ear to ear!
Hey Podo! Glad to hear you guys are enjoying it here. We are definitely having a good time exploring the natural wonders of the PNW. There is so much to see and here for those who love the outdoors that I think it would take a lifetime to really experience it all. But we'll have fun tying.

Regarding 4th of July, yeah, I'm an old CA native who recalls the the 4th of many days gone by. In my hometown of Hermosa Beach growing up, we were allowed to light of fireworks right on the beach!! So every year, the entire coast was a huge party. And our beach has this bike path called 'the Strand' where I'd ride my bike and skateboard for miles and watch these shows.

So, when we saw these shows in our neighborhood out in the county this year, it brought back some great memories of from childhood. There are parties going on with neighborhood kids and families hanging out. But it seems this year in particular it was going off on a whole new level. I do have a metric for that as well after experiencing the 4th here last year after the show. In addition, our daughter's high school band has a fireworks stand they use to raise money for their music program. Well, this year shattered all records in terms of sales by a pretty significant margin.

Anyway, we had quite to show and we could see many others going of in all directions. It was a fun time, for sure.

Derek
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area