Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2021, 03:03 AM

20 posts, read 30,606 times

Advertisements

I've been tracking the market closely over the past year and there seems to be quite an acceleration in demand for houses on this side of the river, namely in Camas and Washougal. In my search, my goal was to try and find a piece of property that had these must-haves:

- Close and/or easy access to PDX
- Sizable lot, not a shoulder-to-shoulder tract home, preferably something > 1 acre
- Something that isn't too far out of "town" or too remote feeling
- Preferably more upscale and nice

Given those parameters, I narrowed my focus onto Camas and Washougal specifically... but there just does not seem to be many properties available that fit the bill. What's the best place to look for property like this?

I know Ridgefield is being developed and up and coming, but it's too far North and away from PDX for me. Same for Brush Prairie and Battleground.

What's even left out there?? And how's the future outlook in this area going to trend? How about the area North of Lacamas Lake in Camas (i.e. Fern Prairie), there seems to be quite a bit of rural space out there, mixed in with commercial buildings, could that be the best potential?

Lastly, another promising area I found was around Sunset View Rd. in Washougal. It's on the border of the city limits and has a direct shot to Hwy 14. There was a 4 acre lot listed there for $400k just recently which seemed like it would have fit the bill quite well, but unfortunately already sold in a week... any thoughts?

Sorry for the litany of questions but appreciate the insight!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2021, 01:05 PM

103 posts, read 89,271 times
What’s your budget all in? You are kind of asking for the world as far as camas properties so there are going to be very few options and you will pay top dollar for close in acreage.

Old 01-24-2021, 01:13 PM

102,052 posts, read 106,836,948 times
I'm not sure I understand your criteria. They seem a little contradictory. You want something in town, but you don't want urban-sized lots. That's very hard to find in any city, and it costs top dollar, when you do find it.

And you're looking for empty lots to build on, is that right?

Old 01-24-2021, 01:37 PM

Budget is up to $1M, and I guess I'm trying to better understand what this kind of property I'm looking for actually costs these days?

I am primarily looking for lots but also open to houses with lots that fit the criteria.

I think we can all agree that property near town vs. property that's miles away on the outskirts have very different feels.

Old 01-24-2021, 02:26 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,548 posts, read 57,460,499 times
Do consider your commutes. Rural roads came be slow, dark and dangerous. Several friends live in rural Camas on Mt Livingston / Jones Creek /Riley Rd.... I live east of Washougal in CGNSA, and can be to PDX before my friends can get to Camas or are sitting at traffic lights on 192. I prefer no traffic lights in entire county. I can be to Safeway / Bimart / schools in under 10 min. No lights or stop signs. I do 100+ flts/yr and can be from my WA country home to my departure gate < 30 min. (If I hurry...., Usually I allow 45 min to include parking and shuttle.)

I just sold a supreme 3 acres with shop, gardens, small home, view and excellent building site... Under $300k. Bought 10+ acres with great views nearby for under $200k. A friend sold 3 of his 5 acreages off Sunset View. That is a quite convenient location. Too bad it is within Clark County. (Much higher permit, impact fees, building costs and taxes). All but 2 of my neighbors are older and we will die soon, freeing up more properties. Watch the obituaries, that is where the realtors get their listings. Our home goes to a charity, so they will sell it to get cash.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 01-24-2021 at 02:36 PM..

Old 01-24-2021, 03:58 PM

What are your thoughts on the Fern Prairie area north of Lacamas Lake? That seems to be the only area left with some land in Camas that isn't crazy far North.

If buying property in CGNSA, isn't it a huge head ache having to deal with the Friends of the Gorge to build or expand something?

How far East exactly are you of Washougal, like Cape Horn East? I'm guessing with your quick commute time into PDX is due to a straight shot with Hwy 14?

Old 01-24-2021, 04:25 PM

You didn't mention whether Camas Schools was a MUST. (it is for many)
or... If you have teen drivers (two friends living in Fern Praire lost their teen daughters to car accidents on the nearby roads)
or... if you commute daily or a few times / month.

Fern Prairie is fine (beware it is not all 'Upscale', as you will note). I have a few friends buried at Fern Prairie Cemetary, it's a nice place to rest.
We helped build several homes for homeschool families quite near Fern Prairie and many families are still there. We are weekly at a home near NE38th St and 261st Ave, and Reilly Rd using Blair Rd as a commute.

Find your preferred area, find a rental or existing home as near as possible, then... Shop for ideal properties (Some of mine I sought for 10+ yrs each) They often just 'popped' up unexpectedly. As mentioned, I have many friends and neighbors who will be forced to sell in the next 10 yrs (maybe tomorrow...). Taxes, Health, Finances (some have already been without income for 30+ yrs). Over 20 properties have exchanged hands in the last 2 yrs (all within 5 miles).

I am near Cape Horn.

Friends(?) of the Gorge are not your problem when building...(County has taken over building role (which was a huge mistake, compared to Federal control)
'Friends (?) just watch and record you daily with spotting scopes and drones. Just gotta get used to it, they (Outsiders) want to be in your face and in control of you, but as long as you are 'Stealth', (and not bothered by being watched 100% of the time), you can survive. Kinda like a job... Yes, you can be successful, in spite of how difficult your idiot boss makes your job and limits your resources to get results.

Old 01-24-2021, 04:41 PM

Camas schools would be a nice to have but not a must, because I think this circles back to my overall question of availability of > 1 acre parcels in the area and in today's market. It doesn't seem like finding that kind of land with Camas Schools and not super far North is really possible.

Again, only place I can see where that has potential is Fern Prairie. I heard that area is fairly commercial at the moment. Do you think it will gentrify in the coming years? I believe developers are actively expanding there and putting up subdivisions, but other available land for a single, personal residence seems hard to come by.

How difficult is it to build or remodel or expand a home in the SA with the County?

Old 01-24-2021, 05:14 PM

I also know of several retirees needing to sell acreage (usually with existing homes) in Fern Prairie but the only large parcel was sold to a developer by friends who had a farm above Ledbetter Rd.

Fern Praire will not gentrify, as there are not large parcels available and too many small parcels will stay with extended families. It will be mixed use for next 20+ yrs. But there are plenty of decent smaller established subdivisions that will not be 'junky', retain their valuations and quality neighborhoods.

You cannot expand the footprint of an existing home in CGNSA unless you can prove it complies with the Std Dev of sf ft of many neighboring places. I lucked out on an approval I did for a builder friend, when a few nearby existing homes had attached 4 and 6 car garages! I personally am interested a very small projected footprint. (Stealth) Beyond drones, I suppose the next technology the county implements will be able to see "INSIDE" our homes, through multiple levels, then I am hosed.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 01-24-2021 at 05:28 PM..

Old 01-24-2021, 11:53 PM

Thanks for the insight. If Fern Prairie is not going to gentrify and will stay mixed use, I'm not sure where else in the area I could look that would fit my criteria.

By the way, this was the lot in Washougal that I recently missed out on, it seemed to check all of the boxes. What are your thoughts?

https://www.redfin.com/WA/Washougal/37116-SE-Sunset-View-Rd-98671/home/14591515?utm_medium=share&utm_source=web_share&utm _campaign=copy

https://goo.gl/maps/odddT13Bp4qU4bw49
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area