Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2021, 02:41 PM

1,683 posts, read 2,705,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
pERHAPS Lynden, Ferndale? Birch Bay is probably too expensive. I don't want to be near Portland or Seattle but rather more north towards the Canadian Border.
If you are flexible on requirements you can likely find something around Ferndale or Lynden.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2021, 02:44 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,731,049 times
Honestly, Ferndale, Birch Bay, or Sumas is probably your best bet, but it will be a newer "track home" on a small lot for that price range, or an older fixer that isn't financeable without some repairs.
Also, just before the pandemic began about a year ago, the Everson and Sumas area experienced a levy break and had a really bad flood. The Nooksack River flooded clear through town and to the north where it connected with the Sumas river flowing into Canada, something that hadn't happened in over 100 years. If you look into that area, you'll need to be super careful to check for flood damage and insurance rates for flood insurance (mandatory in flood areas).
Lastly, beware that right now the border is closed to all non-essential travel due to Covid-19, so towns along that border that are usually swarming with our consumptive friends from the north are nice and quiet....potentially misleading what it's going to be like when its back to business as usual. For example, it's not unusual to have border wait traffic 90 minutes long at the peace arch crossing and truck crossings in Blaine, and during Canadian holidays I've seen it as bad as 2 hours 45 minutes. That usually puts the backup south onto the end of I-5 and completely corks Blaine.

Old 02-24-2021, 04:20 PM

5,583 posts, read 5,007,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post
Honestly, Ferndale, Birch Bay, or Sumas is probably your best bet, but it will be a newer "track home" on a small lot for that price range, or an older fixer that isn't financeable without some repairs.
Also, just before the pandemic began about a year ago, the Everson and Sumas area experienced a levy break and had a really bad flood. The Nooksack River flooded clear through town and to the north where it connected with the Sumas river flowing into Canada, something that hadn't happened in over 100 years. If you look into that area, you'll need to be super careful to check for flood damage and insurance rates for flood insurance (mandatory in flood areas).
Lastly, beware that right now the border is closed to all non-essential travel due to Covid-19, so towns along that border that are usually swarming with our consumptive friends from the north are nice and quiet....potentially misleading what it's going to be like when its back to business as usual. For example, it's not unusual to have border wait traffic 90 minutes long at the peace arch crossing and truck crossings in Blaine, and during Canadian holidays I've seen it as bad as 2 hours 45 minutes. That usually puts the backup south onto the end of I-5 and completely corks Blaine.
Thanks for the info.
There is also another area called "Maple Springs" more inland from Custer. Though I am not sure if that is a good safe area.

Have you heard anything on Whibley Island? Or is place prohibited to civilians and only military personnel?

Old 02-24-2021, 11:11 PM

5,439 posts, read 7,730,554 times
Quote:
Thanks for the info.
There is also another area called "Maple Springs" more inland from Custer. Though I am not sure if that is a good safe area.

Have you heard anything on Whibley Island? Or is place prohibited to civilians and only military personnel?
Whidbey Island is one of the gems of WA. There are dozens of towns on the island and lots of expensive homes. It probably gets more expensive and exclusive the further south you go (closer to Seattle) and further away from the Naval Station at Oak Harbor. My wife and I have talked of retiring there if we an afford it.

You can Zillow to your heart's content but you'll not likely find a home with acreage on Whidbey Island in your target price range.

Old 02-25-2021, 04:21 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,731,049 times
Quote:
Thanks for the info.

That would be Maple Falls, and it's not a good area in many aspects.
Whidbey is nice, but is also a big money area and subject to Naval base noise from the jets. I haven't been out there in probably a decade so can't comment on what its like anymore.

Old 02-25-2021, 10:23 PM

Location: Whatcom County, WA/Cherokee County, NC/Pike County, KY
447 posts, read 332,604 times
Maple Falls itself has a tiny population of under 1,000 but is known as the last town before driving up to mt baker. A guy at work recently bought a house there for cheap, way under 400,000. The only down side is it's a long drive to the bigger stores and it isnt much of a town, just places along the highway.

Old 02-25-2021, 10:29 PM

Frankly, i advise to drive up to these places, its impossible to really know unless u go there and study a map. Prices are leveling though. Many realtor pros are expecting a correction soon.

One said for every % of mortgage interest rate increase, values drop 10%. That could mean a 20% correction in Q4 of 2021. I personally noticed way more houses with lowered prices. The starter homes in particular arent very well sought after. Some are on the market for 180+ days, so i may make an offer next year.

Old 02-26-2021, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post
That would be Maple Falls, and it's not a good area in many aspects.
Whidbey is nice, but is also a big money area and subject to Naval base noise from the jets. I haven't been out there in probably a decade so can't comment on what its like anymore.
Ok that's right Maple falls. What is not so good about that area?

Old 02-26-2021, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerzdevil View Post
Frankly, i advise to drive up to these places, its impossible to really know unless u go there and study a map. Prices are leveling though. Many realtor pros are expecting a correction soon.

One said for every % of mortgage interest rate increase, values drop 10%. That could mean a 20% correction in Q4 of 2021. I personally noticed way more houses with lowered prices. The starter homes in particular arent very well sought after. Some are on the market for 180+ days, so i may make an offer next year.
You mean prices are going down? Is this a high crime area?

Old 02-27-2021, 09:04 PM

Quote:
You mean prices are going down? Is this a high crime area?
Higher interest rate generally means prices go down. Prices are so high now because borrowing is so cheap and people afford more home when the interest is low. When/if interest rates go up, prices should go down because higher interest would stop the speculative buyers from driving up prices. It's confusing but something that makes sense in my head, the data is also supported by the last housing crash.

Here's a rough example:

Lower interest (now): 2.7%
Market price: $100,000
Monthly payment: $800.

Higher interest (2022?): 3.9%
Market price: $85,000
Monthly payment: $700.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area