Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2021, 11:06 AM

146 posts, read 174,130 times

Advertisements

As I indicated in another thread, we are buying a house in Camas. The inspection revealed that the house needed more work than we expected. The AC unit and gas furnace are original and around 30 years old, and we plan to replace them. On the breaker box, one of the breakers is double tapped (i.e. two connections to one breaker) which defeats the point to the breaker and is potentially dangerous. It looks like we will have add an additional breaker box. I am negotiating with the seller for compensation. Not only is the real estate market hot in Camas, but people that can do the relevant work are in high demand. As a consequence, it has been hard to get someone to give us an estimate. The house has 3800 square feet, two stories plus a finished basement. Anyone have a ball park idea of what it would cost to replace the AC unit and furnace and add a breaker box?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2021, 01:23 AM

5,442 posts, read 7,735,145 times
I can't answer your questions. But we just had our furnace repaired by Advanced Air Systems in Vancouver. They were out the next day and got the job done immediately (burnt out blower) so I can recommend them

https://advancedairsystems.net/

Old 05-08-2021, 10:23 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Same company totally ruined a new install for me. They got zero of their $14000 estimate and I had to find another contractor to rip it out and redo it.

Ymmv. I could note ~30 heating contractors who I would not recommend. You can quickly determine if they offer solutions, or are 'cry-baby-contractors' with more excuses than ideas.

I think the owner of Blairco (long term company / reputation) lives in Camas, they could swing by and give you an estimate.

Our scroll heat pumps are fine for 30+ yrs, as duty cycle is light in PNW.

Sounds like you have 2 separate units, knowing your current BTU sizing would give you a very accurate estimate of replacement supplies (if adequately sized). Probably between $3500 and $5000 per unit. (Installed).

Load center / breaker box is likely a very simple fix with tandem breakers if needed. / Available space. Otherwise add a small sub panel ~$60 DIY ~2 hrs.

Old 05-09-2021, 03:12 PM

Thanks. Ironically, I finally heard back from the HVAC guy minutes after I posted the query. Stealth Rabbit was close. $10,000 for both units, installed. Still trying to get a handle on the electrical issue.

Old 05-10-2021, 05:47 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,732,254 times
Diver, if the breaker box is full(probably is, why its double tapped), you can have a subpanel installed and move the circuits over to it that you would like to power with a generator (lights, fridge, freezer, ???). The transfer switch and wall plug/connection for the generator can be added then or at a later time if you want, "divorcing" the wanted circuits into the sub-panel will fix the issue and get you pre-wired for a generator. You get a connection similar to an RV that uses a portable generator and a cord to connect to the plug installed in the side of the house.
I'm doing this in my place now, have a 30 amp double pole (220V breaker) which feeds a sub-panel with lights, fridge, and TV/Entertainment center. I'm using a 100amp panel and transfer switch in case I get a bigger generator later and want to move more circuits over.

Old 05-24-2021, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post
Diver, if the breaker box is full(probably is, why its double tapped), you can have a subpanel installed and move the circuits over to it that you would like to power with a generator (lights, fridge, freezer, ???). The transfer switch and wall plug/connection for the generator can be added then or at a later time if you want, "divorcing" the wanted circuits into the sub-panel will fix the issue and get you pre-wired for a generator. You get a connection similar to an RV that uses a portable generator and a cord to connect to the plug installed in the side of the house.
I'm doing this in my place now, have a 30 amp double pole (220V breaker) which feeds a sub-panel with lights, fridge, and TV/Entertainment center. I'm using a 100amp panel and transfer switch in case I get a bigger generator later and want to move more circuits over.

That is an interesting idea. It turns out that fixing the double tap along is relatively cheap, I was quoted around $100. I think they would add the subpanel you are talking about. But making it generator-ready could make sense. How common are power outages? What did it cost to set up your new system?

Thanks for the tip.

When we signed the contract on the house, we thought the house was turnkey. Wrong. The electrical issue and HVAC was just the start. We ultimately we able to negotiate a $40,000 price reduction even in this crazy market.

Old 05-25-2021, 12:53 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,732,254 times
The transfer switch for the generator gets added into the line between the main panel and sub-panel you'll be adding.
I'm doing my own work so the sub-panel with some breakers was only $35, but the transfer switches really went up in prices and most were out of stock after all the Texas power outages so I haven't bought mine yet. I have the sub-panel, wire, and breakers all ready to go. I will just leave extra wire so I have enough to "cut in" the transfer switch later. If you haven't had the work done yet, you can let the electrician know so they can leave space for the future transfer switch and a loop of extra wire. Some install fancy automatic transfer switches along with a big Generac or Kohler unit so it automatically comes on when the power goes out, mine is just going to be a manual switch and a plug in the outside wall to connect a portable gen. It at least gets rid of having to run extension cords inside to everything you need to keep going.
The weather around the Vancouver area is typically mild, but there have been freak heavy snowstorms and ice storms from Arctic outflow coming down the river gorge and causing all kinds of power outages and pileups. I have an Uncle in that area that has shared many stories and pictures with us on FB. Someone more local would probably know your exact area better and could advise how your "micro-climate" is during winter.

Old 05-25-2021, 04:43 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diver110 View Post
That is an interesting idea. ..... How common are power outages? ....
We never had a power outage over 2 hrs when within urban area of Vancouver WA. (9 yrs)

30+ yrs in the nearby boonies with very high winds and a dense forest where electric trunk transverses, we have occasional disruption up to 4 hours (3-5x/ yr). Many years ago we were down for a week, but they fixed that risk + it was cold and snowy, so the freezer stuff was set outside. We are 100% capable to heat by wood. Well water is the big inconvenience and danger that freezing weather will damage pressure system. (That is all safely in an underground building at well / and in basement of each house.)

If in town or subdivision you will get service restored very quickly, much is already underground in town.

Old 05-25-2021, 05:09 PM

5,442 posts, read 7,735,145 times
We've had a couple of short outages here in Camas in the past 5 years. Usually not longer than 15 min or so, but long enough to make all your electronics reboot. Probably not more than once a year, maybe less.

Old 06-30-2021, 12:41 PM

Thanks. It turned out they could add a breaker to the existing box, so cost-wise it was trivial. Electricity costs here seem to be about half of what I paid in Baltimore. Hydro-electric?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
View detailed profiles of: