Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2021, 11:16 AM

5,444 posts, read 7,740,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane917 View Post
We aren't eating out much lately, but I second the recommendation for Thai Wok Kitchen. It is one of our favorites!
It's on my list now. Thai Orchid in downtown Vancouver and Thai Time out in Orchards have been our two go-to Thai places. I had never even heard about Thai Wok Kitchen before. Vancouver has so many good Asian restaurants hidden away in nondescript strip malls.

I keep wanting to try some of the new places on the waterfront. But they are expensive and always booked so we haven't gotten around to it yet. Dos Alas is on my list for tapas. But every time my wife and I decide to go out for dinner it is last minute and there is no point trying to get into one of those places last minute on a Friday evening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2021, 01:24 PM

64 posts, read 64,881 times
Looks like a trip to Thai Wok Kitchen is order! Thanks for all the suggestions!

H-B

Last edited by Hiker-biker; 08-21-2021 at 02:29 PM..

Old 08-21-2021, 06:27 PM

208 posts, read 146,170 times
Quote:
We aren't eating out much lately, but I second the recommendation for Thai Wok Kitchen. It is one of our favorites!
I will third Thai Wok Kitchen. Their fresh rolls are amazing.

Old 08-22-2021, 10:07 AM

467 posts, read 526,769 times
This thread has gotten a bit hijacked, but we have not had a good restaurant discussion in a while. If you go to Thai Wok Kitchen, be sure to try one of the crispy duck dishes. texasdiver, I also love Thai Time. SushiMo next to Thai Orchid downtown is another favorite, owned by Korean sisters. I Am Thai next to Albertson's in Salmon Creek is always good food, and a big reason why we schedule medical appointments at Kaiser Salmon Creek late in the day. They also own Eight Noodles next to Fred Meyer in Salmon Creek.

I have not tried Dos Alas yet, and am waiting for recommendations from someone who has. I have been very disappointed that my favorite tapas restaurant, Ataula in Portland has closed permanently.

As far as waterfront restaurants, the only one I have eaten at is Wild Fin. I have eaten at Twigs in Spokane, but not here. Wild Fin has a decent happy hour. For special occasions we like Elements downtown, owned by a very nice family.

I am very worried about the financial status of all our fine restaurants, but trying to balance supporting them with the need to stay out of crowds. Being retired, we have the advantage of eating out in the middle of the day.

Old 08-22-2021, 11:49 AM

Quote:
This thread has gotten a bit hijacked, but we have not had a good restaurant discussion in a while. If you go to Thai Wok Kitchen, be sure to try one of the crispy duck dishes. texasdiver, I also love Thai Time. SushiMo next to Thai Orchid downtown is another favorite, owned by Korean sisters. I Am Thai next to Albertson's in Salmon Creek is always good food, and a big reason why we schedule medical appointments at Kaiser Salmon Creek late in the day. They also own Eight Noodles next to Fred Meyer in Salmon Creek.

I have not tried Dos Alas yet, and am waiting for recommendations from someone who has. I have been very disappointed that my favorite tapas restaurant, Ataula in Portland has closed permanently.

As far as waterfront restaurants, the only one I have eaten at is Wild Fin. I have eaten at Twigs in Spokane, but not here. Wild Fin has a decent happy hour. For special occasions we like Elements downtown, owned by a very nice family.

I am very worried about the financial status of all our fine restaurants, but trying to balance supporting them with the need to stay out of crowds. Being retired, we have the advantage of eating out in the middle of the day.
One of my wife's work colleagues posted facebook pictures of their dinner at Dos Alas not long ago. Seems like a pretty expensive special event sort of place with very upscale cocktails. But they seemed to like it. But I'm guessing it is more the sort of place where dinner for two is going to push 3 figures before all is said and done if you get drinks.

We generally stay over here on the east side of Vancouver (164th and east) with occasional forays into downtown Vancouver. I don't remember the last time we drove over to Portland to eat. It has been a while.

Old 08-22-2021, 06:40 PM

I’m fine discussing restaurants since we love eating out! I saw this Japanese buffet called Makoto Japanese Buffet at 1119 SE 163rd Pl, Vancouver, WA 98683. Anyone try this one? Reviews are mixed, but we’re fine with eating grocery store sushi on some occasions.

Old 08-22-2021, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiker-biker View Post
I’m fine discussing restaurants since we love eating out! I saw this Japanese buffet called Makoto Japanese Buffet at 1119 SE 163rd Pl, Vancouver, WA 98683. Anyone try this one? Reviews are mixed, but we’re fine with eating grocery store sushi on some occasions.
The one time I was there it was kind of meh. I find that to be the case for most buffets because the volume of waste that they have basically means cutting corners somehow. But they had everything you could imagine. Not just sushi and Japanese fare, but Chinese as well.

If I'm on 164th I prefer the collection of smaller Asian restaurants that are next to New Seasons Market or the strip mall on the other side of the street. There are a couple of Vietnamese places there, a good small Chinese place and the Taste of Asia which was recommended upstream. They are all good.

164th has a surprisingly good collection of Asian restaurants and a good Indian restaurant called Chutney's which is my go-to place for Indian buffet.

Old 08-22-2021, 09:01 PM

208 posts, read 146,170 times
Quote:
No, but I liked Fuji’s Grill and Sushi by Chkalov and Mill Plain. Bamboo Sushi in Portland is my preferred option though.

Old 08-22-2021, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
The one time I was there it was kind of meh. I find that to be the case for most buffets because the volume of waste that they have basically means cutting corners somehow. But they had everything you could imagine. Not just sushi and Japanese fare, but Chinese as well.

If I'm on 164th I prefer the collection of smaller Asian restaurants that are next to New Seasons Market or the strip mall on the other side of the street. There are a couple of Vietnamese places there, a good small Chinese place and the Taste of Asia which was recommended upstream. They are all good.

164th has a surprisingly good collection of Asian restaurants and a good Indian restaurant called Chutney's which is my go-to place for Indian buffet.

Thanks for the suggestion of additional Asian restaurants and the Indian buffet restaurant! And 164th is only about a mile west of our lodging.

Is Fred Meyer a good grocery store? I'm sure we'll be shopping there as well.

H-B

Old 08-22-2021, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion of additional Asian restaurants and the Indian buffet restaurant! And 164th is only about a mile west of our lodging.

Is Fred Meyer a good grocery store? I'm sure we'll be shopping there as well.

H-B
Yes, grocery. Actually more like a fancier and nicer version of Wal-Mart with clothes, tools, furniture, household stuff, etc. It's a big Pacific Northwest/Alaska chain. It was bought out by Kroger a few years ago but still retains its own identity. Everyone from the Northwest grew up with Fred Meyer or "Freddy's" There probably 30+ of them in the Portland metro area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area