Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2008, 02:41 PM

56 posts, read 293,719 times

Advertisements

Hi,
Is there a smell in the air in Fisher Landings/Cascase Park neighborhoods from Portland International Airport? NE portland is flat, wide open space, and I suspect all that kerosine that jet planes use eventually ends up in the air. And two neighborhoods I mentioned above right in that area.

I'm aware there is an issue from paper mill in CAmas. Are there any other sources of chemical pollution of the envirorment?

Those of you who live around 164th Ave, can you smell Portland Airport? how about exhaust from freeways? paper mill?

THanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2008, 09:11 PM

615 posts, read 1,168,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOCMOC View Post
Hi,
Is there a smell in the air in Fisher Landings/Cascase Park neighborhoods from Portland International Airport? NE portland is flat, wide open space, and I suspect all that kerosine that jet planes use eventually ends up in the air. And two neighborhoods I mentioned above right in that area.

I'm aware there is an issue from paper mill in CAmas. Are there any other sources of chemical pollution of the envirorment?

Those of you who live around 164th Ave, can you smell Portland Airport? how about exhaust from freeways? paper mill?

THanks
This is a great question...and also would like to hear from others who
live in Fisher's Landing about this topic.

Old 05-16-2008, 09:31 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,660 posts, read 57,778,624 times
Worked in Fisher's landing for 25 yrs and usually commuted in, except for '82-'86 when I lived near I-205 and Mill Plain. It is that first day the planes use th N-S runway that you smell it (~ 5 days / yr). Otherwise the general 'dry' wind is from the east (so Fisher's Landing is 'up wind' on dry days. The wet stuff (and accompanying wind) comes from west and the very wet from south so the moisture drops the particulate before you smell it.

The mill rarely smells ~ 5days / yr. Most other heavy industry has been forced out of the area. The new dump / transfer center in Port of Washougal will bring a local foul. (they (WM) got a ridiculously sweet 20 yr lease at a small fraction of the market rate on a large parcel in a land locked area that creates a few entry level jobs... hur-rah for the non-tax paying port district...) end rant...

Freeways, bridges (= congestion), dust, very busy rail , Tug boats... lots of pressure on emissions; favorable winds + lots'o rain help mitigate the smell and I've never noticed it, tho I am quite sensitive to petro smells. (I don't allow gasoline powered cars / mowers / weedeaters in an attached garage)

Old 05-20-2008, 06:40 AM

3 posts, read 7,529 times
I lived in Fishers Landing for 6 years and rarely smelled the Paper Mill in Camas. ( Maybe a few times a year) Occasionally we would see an airplane fly overhead, but did not smell any exhaust or hear anything. I would highly recommend the area. It is so convienent to everything! If you do not like strict Home Owners Associations, ask your Realtor which of the neighborhoods are not goverened by neighborhood associations. They can be very picky.

Old 05-20-2008, 08:21 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,779,066 times
When weather conditions require the use of the north-south runway at PDX, the planes can be right over your head. It doesn't happen often, but the roar and the close, personal look at the airplanes is somewhat surprising. It's usually very windy at those times.

For years and years there was a weekday 5am UPS flight that landed on the N-S strip. It wasn't that loud, but it was our cue to get up.

Old 10-03-2009, 09:36 PM

16 posts, read 60,904 times
I live in Cascade Park and the only real bad smell we get comes from the Meth Lab behind us. We're apparently on some sort of border line and so neither City Police nor Sheriff's Dept can do anything about it.
There used to be a small airport in the general area but it seems to have been taxed out of existence leaving a large field of weeds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
View detailed profiles of: