Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 01:38 PM

154 posts, read 688,616 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know whether or not Cascade Park in East Vancouver is a nice area? The house I'm viewing online has the following schools listed:

Crestline Elem.
Wy East Middle
Mountain View High

Any thoughts about the quality of these schools?

thank so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2008, 08:17 PM

1 posts, read 3,298 times
Default Cascade Park schools

I am a student at Camas, but I live in Cascade Park. I go there because of all the negative things I here about that happens at Mountain View. A great school though is Union High school. I don't know about K-8 in this area. We do have a very involved Boy Scout district here though, very large.

Old 09-02-2008, 10:41 AM

thanks fitzy dog! So do you like Camas High School? We're looking there as well.

Just curious, what kind of negative thigns happen at Mountain View?

thanks for your honest reply!

Old 09-02-2008, 10:44 AM

By the way, were you able to choose Camas even though you live in Vancouver? Is there an open choice policy or just personal circumstances? (If so, you dont need to explain - just wondering if there is some kind of policy that allows you to live in one place and go to school in another.)

Old 09-02-2008, 01:51 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,711 posts, read 58,042,598 times
remember that a good choice for HS is Running Start (Clark College)
Academics - Running Start
I have had several friends who did both Camas HS and Running Start.

I know they have preferred Camas HS to Mtn V, Washougal, Evergreen, and Ft Vancouver. Sky View HS (NW Vancouver) has some beneficial programs.

btw, you can usually do a boundary exception with a reasonable excuse. Another way is to figure out a program the school of choice offers but your 'assigned' one does not, and then pursue that program.

I'm sure there is more current info on boundary exceptions than I have, since my kids just graduated college, but we did exceptions in HS and used Running Start also.

Old 09-03-2008, 11:04 AM

141 posts, read 505,844 times
Those schools are not the best. I went to Wy'East and Mt. View and they were decent schools then (15+ years ago) but have really gone downhill from what I hear. I know there is quite a drug problem at Mt. View. I know that Shahala Middle school is good (east Vancouver). Union High School is brand new, haven't heard anything about it yet. We are in Camas and are very happy with the elementary school so far.

Old 09-03-2008, 01:23 PM

thanks everyone.

I've read good things about all Camas schools, incl. elementary. As far as Vancouver, I got the impression that Illahee and Fisher's Landing elem. schools were very good and, as you just mentioned, Shalala Middle school as well. I saw some non-cookie cutter homes in some established neighborhoods that fed into Wy East Middle and Mt. View so I was hoping for some decent reports but I think they are not sounding so desirable.

I really appreciate everyone's candidness about the schools and also info about the boundary issues.

Old 09-06-2008, 10:46 AM

75 posts, read 289,819 times
My children attend Camas schools (elem & high). They enrolled in January, and so far we have been very pleased. Initially, we moved from another state to a hotel in Vancouver, but knew we were moving to Camas (after a lot of school research).

In order to enroll them in an 'out of bounds' school, you need their "home" school to release them, and the "new" school to accept them. In our case, even tho they were never enrolled in WA schools, the VSD had to release them since we were living within their boundries. I know that Camas will deny transfers if the class enrollment is 2 from the limit (to leave room for those who live within the boundries). Most sschools probably have that same rule in place.

Old 09-08-2008, 11:21 PM

how have you found your relocation to Camas? I'm still trying to get a feel for what Camas is like. Aside from the schools, any likes or dislikes that you want to share?

Old 09-10-2008, 09:05 PM

16 posts, read 122,695 times
Default Crestline Elementary

Wy'East is a decent middle school. It is a feeder school for the EXCEL students (academically gifted) in middle school. I have many friends who go to Crestline. It is ok, but Riverview, Fircrest (which hosts the part time EXCEL students), or Hearthwood are better. I would stay away from the Sifton and Image schools. They were both rated as "need improvement" last month.

HokeyGassaway
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area