Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2008, 09:55 AM

14 posts, read 35,828 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Vancouver in January from Salt Lake and my snow shovel is done. I am wondering if buying a new one for the next week is a waste of money... So will I need a snow shovel in Vancouver?? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2008, 02:11 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
You will probably need one 2x / yr in Vancouver, for ~ 3" removals, thus you can 'improvise' (flat shovel, back side of rake, your kids beach shovel... ) It often rains and washes the snow away, you want to find a house with a south facing garage to let the sun (?) melt the big areas.

You probably don't have room to bring one + it might get broken or lost
for next couple weeks, ... borrow your neighbor's, or pay the kid next door to shovel. You should be PACKING

Old 12-16-2008, 02:30 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,101,509 times
Never buy, and move, anything you can purchase at your destination. That way you avoid paying not only for the item but also the costs of moving it -- and also the cost of having bought the wrong thing that's appropriate somewhere else but not at your destination.

Janb said it well -- you're not likely to need it here anyway. Wait until you get to your new life to find out what your new life actually requires. Never assume!

Old 12-20-2008, 08:58 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,766,281 times
Ummm, here's a little update

Heh, a shovel would definitely come in handy about now as we have about 5-7 inches and it's still snowin'

I'm stayin' in, and am very thankful for not having to go out in this mess.

All this mid-western type weather is due, no doubt, to GLOBAL WARMING!

/snark off

Old 12-21-2008, 01:10 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Hopefully you can get one at a garage sale next summer. There will probably be a bunch of folks heading south after this winter ! The rental trucks do the loop... when there is a quake in Cali, they run north, when folks get sick or our winters they run south.

You might be able to pick my shovel up cheap, as we have to leave WA, cuz we can no longer pay our property taxes. ($33/day). We will probably end up in WY, but I will get a shovel there, not the most important thing to move.

Be careful If you end up too fr east of Vancouver...
Had to shovel a 3' snow drift away from front door when folks decided to leave tonight. I have a 2' drift INSIDE one east facing garage door. The air compressor is completely buried!

Old 12-21-2008, 01:28 PM

129 posts, read 561,831 times
Well, we had 10 inches yesterday, and freezing rain too. While it doesn't snow like this frequently, it's nice to get places if you need to. You can get snow shovels easily at the hardware stores in town. They were flying off the shelf at our local store...Chains might not be a bad idea either. I'm glad I have plenty of food in the house for this week. It's pretty nasty out there (!) it will be... through Christamas day and beyond.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area