Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2009, 01:06 PM

165 posts, read 1,024,821 times

Advertisements

Is there much of a difference in safety of these towns? How about conveniences (grocery store, gas station) - does Ridgefield still not have a Safeway or something other than a convenience store type grocery? Does public transportation to Vancouver and Portland reach these towns?

I'm noticing there are quite a few decent looking single family homes available in Ridgefield and Battle Ground for a good price.

Is the Orchards area of Vancouver the same as east Vancouver? I'm told "east Vancouver" is nice, but hear mixed reviews of Orchards. What elementary school would I be searching near that is considered "east"?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2009, 05:45 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,951,486 times
There are anywhere from very nice residences to pretty junky ones in all of those areas. I think you are going to need to narrow the areas you are focusing on to get any specific feedback.

Old 04-06-2009, 08:58 PM

321 posts, read 1,135,470 times
Orchards is west Vancouver - it is NOT in East Vancouver.
Battle Ground has plenty of services in terms of grocery stores, gas stations, and auto repair. I don't know about Ridgefield.
Public transportation to Portland from BG is going to be tough ... there is basically one main bus that runs down Main Street in BG and you can take it to the downtown Vancouver bus mall and transfer to the #5 Tri-Met bus. But that is going to be a loooooooong ride from BG to Vancouver city center (about an hour?). And it only runs about every half hour at best. On weekends less often. And it doesn't run very late or very early. If you want to live in BG, you are going to want a car.

By the way; the middle school and high school in BG are pretty sucky. The elementary school was too, but they finally built another one so the crowding has been alleviated.

Old 04-06-2009, 11:18 PM

75 posts, read 289,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofia76 View Post
Orchards is west Vancouver - it is NOT in East Vancouver.
How do you figure that Orchards is West Vancouver? It's east of 205...so, then, what is considered "East" Vancouver

Old 04-07-2009, 12:26 AM

321 posts, read 1,135,470 times
Eek! You're right, I didn't make any sense there at all. Orchards is indeed east of the 205. In my own mind I was thinking of Orchards as not part of the area people commonly refer to as East Vancouver because it is north of the 500. Usually when I hear someone talk about East Vancouver they're talking about the area between the 205 and Camas, and between the river and the 500. I don't know what the official definition of East Vancouver is - probably simply east of the 205, as you say ... even all the way up to Brush Prairie?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirtysomething View Post
How do you figure that Orchards is West Vancouver? It's east of 205...so, then, what is considered "East" Vancouver

Old 04-07-2009, 02:53 PM

75 posts, read 289,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofia76 View Post
Eek! You're right, I didn't make any sense there at all. Orchards is indeed east of the 205. In my own mind I was thinking of Orchards as not part of the area people commonly refer to as East Vancouver because it is north of the 500. Usually when I hear someone talk about East Vancouver they're talking about the area between the 205 and Camas, and between the river and the 500. I don't know what the official definition of East Vancouver is - probably simply east of the 205, as you say ... even all the way up to Brush Prairie?
Ah, now I know what you're saying....North East, then? I just knew it couldn't possibly be west!

Old 05-10-2009, 03:50 PM

2 posts, read 7,321 times
The biggest differences of Ridgefield and Battle Ground is that Ridgefield has stayed "Mayberry" (small town) and Battle Ground has gone commercial ie Mcdonalds, Starbucks etc...While there is a huge boom in housing in the outskirts of town in Ridgefield.. IN town itself has stayed quaint and single owner shops etc. We have 2 private owner grocery stores here, but you wouldn't and really couldn't do your regular shopping there. For one it would be too expensive and two, they don't carry a lot of anything esp produce and fresh stuff. Just a lot of "quick run to the store" stuff. There's not a lot of choice's for dining out and in my opinion there's really only one place that has decent food.. the pizza shop. However, again, the prices are high and consitency has sometimes been a problem. I moved here from Sammamish and miss some aspects of the high end life style but really like the old town feel and safe neighborhood for my sons. Everything (for us) is within walking distance and there's a few parks that are great for walking, picnicing etc.. the area is beautiful and we never get tired of seeing the bald eagles flying around.

Old 10-20-2015, 06:56 PM
JYT

109 posts, read 125,038 times
Ridgefield has not turned into cowboy cadillac...

Old 10-20-2015, 07:14 PM

467 posts, read 526,482 times
i have lived in Ridgefield for 6 months and love it. It has indeed stayed "small town." What this means is that we have a lack of local services. A few restaurants (quite good), 2 places to buy groceries, but not enough for weekly grocery shopping. BUT, the mayor has confirmed that a local grocery store is in the works. Which one and where is still not public information. We feel quite safe in Ridgefield. It is the fastest growing city in WA. The city council seems to be very proactive in growth development. Lots of open communication between the city and the school district. We often drive north to Woodland for a Safeway. Most people drive south to Vancouver for groceries. We like the quiet rural feeling, but we don't feel isolated. It all depends on your perspective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area