Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2009, 10:29 AM

2,779 posts, read 5,499,499 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I'm looking for someone to repair my dining room table. The movers stripped the screw and we can't reattach one of the legs, my husband has tried everything.

Does anyone know someone reputable that could help? I've looked in the Yellow Pages and can't find a thing.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 05:06 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Wood, Metal, Plastic?
Typically, for wood, I take some stout round toothpicks (About 3, depending on size of hole) Add some wood glue, a very little bit (gorilla might work best as it remains pliable). Ram them in the hole, let it sit for a few hrs (let glue start to set up), then run the screw in (as assembled) ALMOST all the way while applying significant force inward to keep toothpicks from coming outward, I let it set up better (~ 6-10 hrs) then tighten up the screw. You might want to have a piece of Wax Paper between leg and table if there is any glue dripping (And if you plan on moving again and not using a saw to remove the leg...)

You can probably find a woodworker handyman by inquiring at Woodcrafters in Portland (or they will have a kit to repair threads with an insert)
Woodcrafters Home Page

212 NE 6th Ave
Portland, OR 97232
(503) 231-0226

or similar help here Crosscut Hardwoods Eugene, Portland, Beaverton, Hillsboro Seattle Lumber Plywood Decking 503-224-9663
(Unfortunately we lost out furniture wood supply Lumberyard in Vancouver...Bergerons, now Winco / Andreson lot) (Just across street from Old Friends see below)

I have had these guys do some stripping for me (They do refinishing too, and I think light repair)
Old Friends Furniture Stripping

7215 NE 18th St # B
Vancouver, WA 98661
(360) 604-8565‎

For metal, (and plastic) go to Parkrose Hardware and get a Helicoil / thread-sert kit (take your screw with you). Since they are close to you, (164th Ave and East 1st st) they might have a handyman listing. Some plastic insert repairs may require epoxy (JB weld works pretty well) coat screw with WD-40 or light dose of Vaseline so it can be removed later.

If you need a new dining room table ,(or just to drool over their hand-rubbed finish...) swing by The Joinery, on your way to the Rhodie Gardens (just about time for that awesome experience)
Portland Parks & Recreation :: Crystal Springs Rhododendron Garden
the folks at The Joinery would be happy to tell you how fix your wood table.
4804 SE Woodstock
Portland, OR 97206
(503) 788-8547

If none of this works... PM me.

Old 03-30-2009, 06:09 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,499,499 times
Thanks janb, I actually had a friend recommend Geppettos Woodworks in Vancouver, dropped the table off today. We had tried the toothpick trick but it really is the bolt that needs replacing. Anyway Geppettos seems great, very nice older man for a very good price. It is a walnut table from the 60s, was my parents and I'd like to not have to buy a new one.

Am planning a trip to The Joinery though, for a "if we ever get out of this recession" look
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area