Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 07:01 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,687 posts, read 57,985,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by organic mama View Post
Thank you so much for all your help. The only thing holding is back is selling our big dully truck.
We didn't realize Washington charges a usage tax for vehicles.
If we took out our truck to Washington, it would cost us an extra 2,000 to move. ...
Anyone wanna buy a Big Black 3500 Dully. 80k miles and already has a 5th wheel hitch loaded on to it. :P
Check your data - my 1T Dually costs under $250 to license in WA to 28,000# GVW (which is far more weight than you will need.) The truck 'use tax' is based on registered GVW (which I think needs to be a minimum of 2x the empty scale weight. You can only bring 2 licensed vehicles into WA w/o previously paying sales tax (last I heard) check here, WA State Licensing: Home. Be very careful about boats and ORV's and motorcycles, they nailed me on mine, and they had been previously registered in a sales tax state. (Colorado). (They are 'itching' to tax OR registered vehicles, as there are so many 'illegals' in the area. (licensed in OR to avoid taxes) WA USED to charge fees based on resale value, not more, tho I still drive 'beaters' to protect my image (50 mpg since 1976 in a $35 car, no dinosaurs / (OPEC) required)

or, give these gals a call, very helpful. (avoid 'sub-agent' fees and the run-around, & get the correct answer)
Vancouver - Downtown

Clark County Auto License Department
Street Address: 1408 Franklin Street
Vancouver, WA 98660
Mailing address: P.O. Box 9812
Vancouver, WA 98666
Main phone: (360) 397-2288
Monday - Friday: 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.

Quote:
BTW..I have a 15 year old that is currently home schooled. Where do I go to register my son in the Washington area for Homeschooling....or test him?
Clark County Home Educators
Welcome to HomeLink River Campus Online
HomeLink/CAM
Legal Information - Washington

then STRONGLY Consider this, Academics - Running Start (must test into as sophomore ~age 15, consider tutoring if necessary, as you want to pass both Math and English portion to avail 100 level and above classes.)
it is a superb opportunity for kids to blossom, whether academic or vocational bound, best training for future University experience + it is "free college", except books (which you can buy on half.com) (90% of Jr Col transferees complete University. < 40% of direct from HS freshmen complete University on their first try, most often they go back to Jr College to get a 'refresher' / edu in college expectations)

Quote:
I'm wondering...Did all the Californians move to Oregon..and now the Oregonians are all moving to Washington? A migration move up.
Clark County, WA typically gets 30% of new residents from CA and 50% from OR at the peak, over 350 per MONTH total influx .

"Help, Let me outta here " whoops, I must be careful I need to sell my house!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2009, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsWolfie View Post

What are your thoughts on the Ridgefield area? We're moving to a development close to Jollie's off the 5 Freeway...
careful... we shun folks that talk like CA "the 5 Freeway", that is referred to as 'I-5' north of CA.

There is nothing wrong with the area you are looking at, BUT... I have a huge personal beef with it, in that our 'ultra-foolish', painfully ignorant, highly paid, county planning dept allowed houses to be planted in high density, in a prime commercial spot... Think about the long term affect... more lanes needed, more commercial needed, higher revenue / sf on commercial props, EZ access to I-5, ...then the bozo's plant houses where folks tie up their equity in a place they may LIVE for 30 + yrs, listening to traffic 200' out their window, + they have to DRIVE to everything, because 'the bimbo planners didn't think of "walk-able communities" energy price soar, driving becomes a luxury, and residents are stuck 'high and dry'. I see a 'revolt' coming from that subdivision, but who am I... A simpleton who has fought 'county planning for 30 yrs'. "Llet me outta here"... BTW.. I pay $33/day (property taxes) for the "privilege" of living in Clark County Motel 6 does the laundry for that price! I moved from a very nice farm in Minnehaha to the CGNSA to get away from Clark County planning, but... they followed me What I did for a $.26 stamp with the federal government (Gorge building approval), When Clark County Planning took over, it now takes 2 yrs and $40,000 - $60,000 JUST to go through the process. (actual permit is extra).

I despise being under that control and paying $12,000/ yr in property taxes for that privilege.
(sorry, I'm steamed)

(don't get me started on the public schools... (which I didn't use)) We DID have the highest state pregnancy rate in our local school at the time, that's noteworthy

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 08-15-2009 at 07:24 PM..

Old 08-16-2009, 06:36 AM

7 posts, read 21,234 times
I really do appreciate your information.. now it worries me. The house I picked to rent seemed lovely and its two rows back from the highway so I did not notice a great deal of noise. We have a year lease so if it doesn't turn out to be our dream home, then we will move. I did note we were "away" from most of the ammenities but I'm alright with that- thank you for your insight and information. I had hoped the public schools would be more of a higher caliber as they seemed to be promoted as such.

Old 08-16-2009, 11:29 AM

don't worry, be happy!

Your mileage may vary. Make the best of it and if it isn't the best situation, you will have time to get feedback and an opportunity to 'find-your-spot'. The schools in that area will be better than ours were, yours has agarian roots (more school and community support), ours; timber roots (Very independent, frequent sound of 'errant' gunfire from neighbors, lots of community / school strife).

Depends what you want in a school, but for discipline, core academics, and broad community support; Hockinson comes out strong. Not everyone can deal with that, as the kids have plenty of homework and must meet high expectations. Some transplants have been offended by such strict school requirements. Eventually the immigrants to the district will prevail over Apostolic Lutheran natives, and the expectations will decline to meet the state norm. Then folks seeking high stds will have to migrate, this has been happening all over the west. SD, ND, and parts of ID & WY are the only remaining areas of 'escape to normal'.

Old 08-16-2009, 05:40 PM

7 posts, read 21,234 times
Fantastic info. I'm OK with the disciplined schools; I like that and we're big on doing well in school in our family.

I understand what you are saying about the development. We had the same situation here in CA in many areas- we live in Yorba Linda and there is nothing to do here- the downtown was never brought up to speed with the homes they slammed in all around this once quiet, peaceful horse community.

All city planning!!

Old 02-11-2010, 05:12 PM

35 posts, read 73,654 times
Ridgefield, IMO, is the best of the best! Rich, fertile dirt and wondeful folks. I lived there for many years before retiring to the small town of Goldendale, south central WA. I trail ride horses and the Vancouver area was just too wet and too densely populated so didn't want to retire there.
Best wishes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area