Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2009, 06:37 AM

2 posts, read 3,312 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone.

My name is Adrian. I am thinking about moving to the US from England, and have seen a job with company I work for now, in Vancouver.

I know very little about the area, or how things like mortgages, taxes etc work in the US. So I have ALOT of questions.

I guess the first question I have is about the climate in Vancouver. It looks like it could be similar to that here in England.

Can anyone help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2009, 01:13 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,497,976 times
Very similar to England, maybe a little colder than London in the winter but same general climate. Beautiful summers, wet rainy winters and somewhere in between during the fall and spring.

Old 08-15-2009, 05:02 PM

7 posts, read 21,236 times
Default Which Vancouver?

Are you considering Vancouver, WA or Vancouver, British Columbia?

I'm new to WA myself but I have a friend who lives in London. From what she has told me about your weather there and from what I've experienced in WA, it is similar. Probably some seasons with a bit more sunshine but the further you move into WA (closer to Seattle), the wetter it tends to be (I have friends who already live there so I've done alot of homework! )

I don't know how taxes work in England, but WA does not have income tax (meaning taxes on what you work for) and they do have a state tax. Anyone who reads this and give a bigger idea, let me know!

Hope that helps! From what I understand, all of the schools are wonderful and its a beautiful state...

Old 08-17-2009, 01:54 AM

2 posts, read 3,312 times
Vancouver WA

Thanks for the information. I wondered if the climate would be similar. I certainly wouldn't want to go somewhere colder and wetter than England

No income tax? So is everything else taxed? This is where I get confused because everything in the UK is done by central government.

How about mortgages. I know the US has been hit hard by the economic down turn as has the UK, but are banks lending? What sort of interest rates are being offered.

Last edited by EnglishChap; 08-17-2009 at 02:03 AM..

Old 08-17-2009, 10:43 AM

There's no STATE income tax, there's a federal income tax and sales tax. Interest rates for mortgages are around 5.5% for a 30yr fixed with 20% down. However, I know when my parents moved back to the states from abroad they had a hard time getting a loan because their credit history was all in another country. Even though they always had excellent credit. That was a few years ago so maybe things have changed but it is something to look into.

Old 08-17-2009, 05:31 PM

7 posts, read 21,236 times
Thanks for that clarification.. I always get that mixed up- and there is no sales tax in OR, correct?

Old 08-17-2009, 08:19 PM

Right
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area