Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2009, 02:21 AM

3 posts, read 10,141 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I'm about 99% sure I'm going to accept an Americorps position in Vancouver (moving from SF Bay Area), to start relatively soon, and have some concerns about the friendliness of Vancouver to dogs. It seems they are quite popular in Portland, but I'm not finding much on Vancouver... Does anyone have any comments to that effect? My dogs are both small breed mutts, one is super friendly and loves everyone, and one saves all her love for me; I'm worried about them because we've been living on a ranch for awhile with all the free space they can take. They've both lived in smaller apartments before, but I just want to make sure people won't freak out if I take them out for exercise (as some cities are known to do) when I'm not working

While I'm at it, some other random questions: I'm also a 26 yo single female, does anyone know of any meet up groups in Vancouver for young transplants? Like I said, I'm going to be on an Americorps budget, so that means I need CHEEEEAAAAAAAPPPP to free activities so going over to Portland often is not really an option, but it would be cool to hang out with younger set. I don't mean to offend anyone, but people on this forum have Vancouver kind of billed as a boring family city... I would love some anecdotes proving otherwise. I like kids, but you can't drink beer with them or date them or their parents, obviously.

I'm also super outdoorsy and plan to be doing a lot of hiking and such, can anyone give me an estimate on the entrance fees to some of the local hiking locales? As well as the best ones for that matter? And are dogs allowed at State and local parks (they aren't in a lot of cases in CA)?

Also, if people have some ideas and thoughts on how to live in Vancouver on a really tight budget, I'd really appreciate it.

THANK YOU!! And I am super excited to be coming to your city, please make me more excited!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2009, 07:36 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
LIVE CHEAP - find a house to share with another single female dog lover (there are plenty).

I know nothing about having a dog in the city, as I've never even had a leash for my lifetime supply of 'farm-dogs'. but...No local animosity toward dogs (AFAIK). Plenty of dog friendly parks to use. Do a search for Vancouver area dog parks when finding a place to live, so you can walk rather than drive to park.
DOGPAW
Vancouver-Clark Washington Parks & Recreation: Off Leash Dog Areas (http://www.cityofvancouver.us/parks-recreation/parks_trails/olas.htm - broken link)
DogFriendly.com's City Guide: Vancouver, Washington

There will be plenty of cheap social activities for you to take part in, and plenty of 'singles' on the WA side. I would get into an indoor co-ed soccer league, or similar 'youthful' activities (there is basketball, volleyball, softball...). Join a hiking or camera club, check at Clark College and community centers for info. Take 'community Ed classes to meet folks'. I've never known my single sons to 'have-to-go-to-Portland' for social functioning. (tho they go regularly with their Vancouver friends ~ 2x- 3x / month... as an 'ole-timer', I go 2-3x / week, for various things) Hope you have a car, as you will need one (I go for the cheapo's ~ $100 cars, work fine for my needs)

Hiking and activities...
Vancouver is a hotbed for 'rowers' (Vancouver Lake) but also good for 'sea' kayaking on Columbia River, or White Water on nearby 'wild' rivers. Great hiking (and biking) in the Gorge
West Columbia Gorge Hiking - Hikes
GORP - Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area - Hiking
Columbia River Gorge NSA - Welcome!
Cape Horn Loop Hike - Hiking in Portland, Oregon and Washington

lots-a folks like the Ridgefield Refuge for hiking, and there is the new Steigerwal refuge in Washougal. Steigerwald NWR (plus there is a levee trail & beach in Washougal, take exit for industrial park 32nd st SOUTH).

I would look to live on the east side near this dog park and EZ access to 205 / Columbia Gorge, DogFriendly.com's Travel Guide: Pacific Community Park Dog Park
then move to Hood River or White Salmon if you get the chance in a few years (and you get hooked on wind surfing / kite boarding).

Old 08-30-2009, 12:00 AM

3 posts, read 10,141 times
Since I'll be there for Americorps, it will only be one year, but thank you for the long term outlook . Your suggestions were awesome. I am bringing a car, but another function of Americorps is a very, VERY small budget (like ridiculously small, getting food from food banks small), so I think I found a place near enough to where I'll be working that I can ride my bike to work and not have to worry about gas money. I'm super excited though, I can't wait to explore. Thank you for the notes!

Old 04-19-2010, 09:33 PM

306 posts, read 758,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arielr View Post
Since I'll be there for Americorps, it will only be one year, but thank you for the long term outlook . Your suggestions were awesome. I am bringing a car, but another function of Americorps is a very, VERY small budget (like ridiculously small, getting food from food banks small), so I think I found a place near enough to where I'll be working that I can ride my bike to work and not have to worry about gas money. I'm super excited though, I can't wait to explore. Thank you for the notes!
Consider yourself lucky you even got IN. They're getting over 1,000 applications for every available position there too. Americorps in general, not just Vancouver specifically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area