Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2010, 03:46 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,293,498 times

Advertisements

I was just wondering what caused the massive growth in Vancouver from 1990 to 2000? I find it particularly interesting because it gained more people than Portland during that time. Clark County's population seems to have been almost completely from Vancouver. Does anyone have answers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 05:55 PM

145 posts, read 687,900 times
because vancouver was neither a city or country, it was in between. no body wants to be defined by living in one of those two. also vancouver has amazing schools and is fairly cheap to live in. you can easily get a job in portland without having to buy an expensive house. thats why my family moved to vancouver from oregon city in 98.

Old 07-08-2010, 05:33 PM

499 posts, read 1,447,581 times
Washington State also has historically had horrible land use laws. Some of the Portland metro's worst suburban sprawl is in Clark county.

Old 07-08-2010, 08:50 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,745 posts, read 58,102,528 times
Well the last I heard, Clark County, WA gets ~ 250 new residents / month from OR, and equal from CA. A very small remainder from elsewhere.

Considering the politics and funding (and monetary rating) of those 2 states (OR and CA) is it any wonder folks are fleeing to WA?

Unfortunately, WA current governor is a 'Me-too' and following the Grim Reaper. AK will be the only state on west coast worth living in.

If you want to examine horrible land use laws, look no further than Oregon.
I spend a considerable amount of time in Salem dealing with land use issues that cripple commerce and the economic health of rural communities.

WA and OR are each states where 3 counties can carry the vote of the entire state, and the folks that provide commerce, jobs, economic stability, and growth are unrepresented and burdened with huge legislative hurdles just to keep their businesses alive. So sad that the combined residents and commerce of 69 counties is held hostage by 6 populous counties that are filled with renters and employees who want more for less.

This is the route of the current USA leadership. Gonna get real ugly, Clark County's poor land use (largely due to a HUGE influx of Oregonians wanting to at least have a school for their kids to attend) will be very small potatoes in the scheme of things. Very sad indeed.

If WA could get its act together to create a positive business climate, OR would be toast. But both states are being 'fried' at the moment. (except for Tri-Cities, WA). Both states have tremendous potential, but.... ain't happening. I would surmise as much capital investment we are allowing from pacific rim nations, we (PNW) will become the first order of serfs in a new world economy. I hope I'm wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area