Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 06:08 PM

23 posts, read 116,536 times

Advertisements

We are somewhat familiar with the Portland/Vancouver area and have lots of family in Seattle so we wanted to consider north Vancouver to shorten our trips a bit. We have also considered Sherwood, OR, but it's a bit too big.

We are looking for the nicest, hilliest, lots of trees (or a view of mountains), small town community feel, good schools, low crime, yada yada... We have 4 young children and love the outdoors and mountains. My husband works from home, so commute is not a big factor, but still need to be close enough to get in and out of Portland occasionally.

Ridgefield
Battleground
La Center
Felida
Hockinson

Any areas with a tad bit less rain?

Would love any suggestions,
Thank you!

Last edited by Lisabet; 02-27-2010 at 06:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2010, 09:35 PM

How about Washougal? Looks like a pretty area with a view. Camas seems to be nice, but maybe a bit too suburbia.

Old 02-28-2010, 12:55 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
I'd stay OUT of Clark County (assessors assigning HIGH property tax valuations + future 'light-rail tax' + Transit taxes + terrible regulations and expenses in Building Dept and Health Dept (annual septic inspections required))

If I-5 is desired, then Cowlitz and Lewis County would be better. If scenic area is requirement look to areas near Mt Rainier, or can go east in Columbia Gorge and into Skamania County. (~ 6 miles east of Washougal). It is best to get BEYOND Washougal School district, which has some of western Skamania County (high taxes + impact fees).

Good Schools will be a huge challenge (why many in WA homeschool) Camas is highly regarded in SW WA (but is 100% inside Clark County), as is Hockinson (even better schools)

I would look seriously in to the area near Carrolls (between Kalama and Kelso). There is a very nice looking area up in the hills with a country school (usually good community support).
See where you can hop on Amtrak to get back and forth to Seattle (this will be important when fuel prices rise)

Longview is not considered desirable.

Here is a rainfall map,
http://www.wamaps.com/maps/precipitation_map.gif
narrow your choices, then get in touch with local extension agent and validate growing season / rainfall / soils of your desired areas. Rainfall can vary quite a bit within a narrow region (I get 100+" / yr. 20 min away = 42" per yr). I have more clear days, but heavier winds and rainfall. (elevation related)

DO NOT buy a home in the midst of trees (as pretty as it may seem) It is the BEST advice I got 27 yrs ago when moving from sunny Colorado.

Trees = more mold, illnesses, dark, needles in gutters, moss, potential of being blown down and crushing your house.

Get a wide open southern exposure and lots of windows. Good views really help you get through the winter too. (as well as $39-$59 flights to CA)

Old 02-28-2010, 11:40 AM

26 posts, read 89,525 times
Maybe look into Woodland, WA? Parts of Woodland are Cowlitz County (lower taxes). You are close to I-5, close to the Lake Merwin area for hiking,fiishing, recreation.... with a small town feel.

Old 02-28-2010, 03:24 PM

Yes Thank you! SR, You are right about too many trees. Woodland sounds nice, might be a bit too far. I think I really like Washougals location with the views and easy access to mountains and the shopping in Fishers Landing, but there are a lot of mixed reviews about the place, schools, crime, run down...What we read about Ridgefield seems nice, although I hear it is flat. I Like Hockinson, but couldn't tell if there was an actual city center part of town or just all rural with scary narrow roads. We will be visiting end of March, but I just wanted to at least narrow our options before we come.

Last edited by Lisabet; 02-28-2010 at 03:54 PM..

Old 02-28-2010, 09:47 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
I have a sis in Hockinson and I live in Washougal, so PM me with questions.

If school is a primary issue, I would choose Hockinson or Camas. Either place has choice of home locations, hills, forests, views, or flat with or with out trees. Hockinson best for gardening. (milder wind / cold, and less rocks)

If proximity to outdoor beauty is primary, Washougal has some benefits. I'm in the Columbia Gorge Scenic Area, so no (few) new homes and pristine views. Columbia River Gorge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm less than 10 min from a Safeway and BiMart (mini Walmart, BiMart is locally PNW owned ) and only a couple miles off Highway 14, Very ez commute~ 20 min to PDX airport. For Washougal, I would avoid properties up the Washougal River Road, many nice places up there, but road can be dangerous.

Hockinson does not have a city center and has a limited but decent country store. Shopping is ~ 10 min (5 miles) away (mostly country roads). The community is very conservative and VERY supportive.(Ag based original economy). Washougal is historically a 'forest' based economy', and I have found them to be much more independent and not so helpful. We have a very good neighborhood with long-term neighbors who are even congenial. Due to snow at Christmas last yr (08), no one could get into our area, so us neighbors had a great party at our house. One family came on their road grader, one on a bulldozer, several on tractors, a few via snowshoes. (non of us had snowmobiles )

I know of a really nice house FS for $1.6m in Washougal There are all kinds of places in each locale (Hock and Wash).

Do check out Carroll! It is really pretty and much closer to Seattle than Washougal (45min).

Old 03-01-2010, 09:13 AM

2,779 posts, read 5,500,663 times
While we live in Camas and love it, I also love Hockinson and would have happily lived there as well, Camas is closer to my husband's office and we liked the town feel. The only complaint I've heard about Washougal is that its a little far from things and our friends are very disappointed in the schools, however they were able to get a boundary exception to Camas schools so I guess that's always an option as well.

Old 03-07-2010, 05:31 PM

5 posts, read 21,594 times
I have lived all over and currently live in Ridgefield. I would say this area and LaCenter are two of the greatest, safest areas around. I don't understand the flat comment about Ridgefield. We have hills, trees, small town feel, easy freeway access, and two beautiful protected wild life areas. If you haven't been here I suggest you drive through. You'll be glad you did.

Old 03-07-2010, 08:52 PM

Oh great! Thank you Dan! I have been leaning toward Ridgefiled, I can't wait to come check it out more closely.

Old 03-14-2010, 05:14 PM

23 posts, read 41,864 times
I just replied to another post and told them about Centralia & Chehalis. Here is what I wrote:

My advice would be to research the TWIN CITIES area, located in Lewis County. This is specifically Centralia and Chehalis. These two cities are located at the midway point between Seattle & Portland. Homes are affordable whether you rent or buy. It takes me about 1 hour to get to Vancouver & Portland from Chehalis and we are about 20-30 minutes south of Olympia/Lacey. Olympia is a great city to "hang in" as well. Insofar as the Chehalis schools....they have a great reputation. The price of homes ($200K-$250K)you mentioned are WELL within the price range here. You can buy a SWEEET home for that price! I have lived here for 3.5 years and love it. Before moving here I lived in Tacoma, WA, Olympia, WA and British Columbia, Canada.

~~END QUOTE FROM POST~~

Lisa, this area is beautiful and affordable. We have a small town vibe but not too small town. People are friendly and the crime rate is mostly smaller, petty or domestic-wise. Centralia has a wonderful junior college, where my husband works and 18 yr old daughter attends. The Chehalis schools have a great reputation but not so much in Centralia (elementary, middle school or H.S.)...that's why I transferred my kids to Chehalis.

You can view Mt. Rainier if you are high up on a hill that faces anywhere but South or in a wide enough part of this valley to see over the surrounding hills. It is the opposite for Mt. St. Helens. I can view that majestic mountain every morning during my (5 minute) trip south on I-5 to school with my 7th & 8th grade boys. I live about a 1/2 mile off freeway (I-5) and manage a mobilehome/manufactured home park here. I speak from experience as I have met many people here; from law enforcement to small business owners to your everyday neighbors. When I moved here I was amazed at how "tight-knit" this community is. I simply love it here.

This area has everything you need from the farm-style stores, quaint shops, (including great antiques shops) to major grocery stores, including a WalMart Superstore, Home Depot and not to mention the factory outlet mall here. There are a few movie theaters here also. I'm just scratching the surface insofar as what this place offers. Oh....hunting, fishing, camping, etc. are quite popular around as well.. Strangely...we have all of this and more but are still considered rural-esque. It is a good mix of country, small town community and city here.

Hope this info was helpful...and let me know if you want to know more about this area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area