Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 12:34 PM

7 posts, read 116,378 times

Advertisements

We are a young family (married couple with a 15 month old daughter), and we are relocating from Ontario to the lower mainland in the spring.

What areas would you suggest? We have been considering areas such as Surrey, Coquitlam, Abbotsford, and Mission. Preferrably somewhere with decent access to public transit so that I can find work in Vancouver if necessary.

We are looking for places that are affordable. Space isn't a major concern, we are minimalists and can manage in a small space if need be. We are mostly interested in safety, a sense of community, and the opportunity to meet other families and friends. We also both enjoy the outdoors.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 06:36 PM

71 posts, read 172,076 times
Mission is quite far away from Vancouver, you don't want to be commuting there daily by any means. Other three suburbs are relatively close but the infrastructure here makes the commute from Surrey/Coquitlam/Abbotsford to Vancouver hell. Traffic jams galore. Neither have decent public transit to Vancouver, except for Surrey, but Surrey sky train station is not safe at all. Overall, Surrey is kind of like the ass of Vancouver suburbs.

If you are prepared to compromise the space, and want to work in Vancouver, look at Burnaby and Richmond - they are a lot closer to Vancouver and easier to commute from. Still, you will be spending an hour one way from Burnaby to Vancouver, or from Richmond to Vancouver if you commute by public transit. Although the new Canada Line made it easier to commute to Richmond, it only goes to Richmond Centre...if you are going anywhere else in Richmond, you have to transfer to another bus or several which turns into a real ordeal - I know because I used to do it every day. It sucked.

Hope this helps.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:32 PM

1,264 posts, read 3,861,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskoka Viking View Post
We are a young family (married couple with a 15 month old daughter), and we are relocating from Ontario to the lower mainland in the spring.

What areas would you suggest? We have been considering areas such as Surrey, Coquitlam, Abbotsford, and Mission. Preferrably somewhere with decent access to public transit so that I can find work in Vancouver if necessary.

We are looking for places that are affordable. Space isn't a major concern, we are minimalists and can manage in a small space if need be. We are mostly interested in safety, a sense of community, and the opportunity to meet other families and friends. We also both enjoy the outdoors.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!
West Coast Express takes 1 hr 13 mins from Mission City to Vancouver Downtown "waterfront station".

SkyTrain Station Maps

When buying a home, beware there are low-lying and flood prone areas around Mission, Pitt Meadows and Port Coquitlam. Some years ago, a few houses were damaged by flood and the house-owners did not get any compensation from the city nor the province.

The City of Maple Ridge
File:GVRD Maple Ridge.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
has a private school, Meodowridge School, that ranks #10 in Fraser Institute's "BC School Report Cards".
Easy access to Golden Ears Provincial Park
Things to Do and See - BC Parks - Province of British Columbia

Langley and Delta are much closer to Vancouver than Abbotsford.

Old 09-02-2010, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slateblue View Post
Neither have decent public transit to Vancouver, except for Surrey, but Surrey sky train station is not safe at all. Overall, Surrey is kind of like the ass of Vancouver suburbs.
Wow.. It's hard to know what to believe as I seem to get so many mixed messages about Surrey. I understand a lot of comes down to personal experience. But others have said that Surrey would be a great place for someone with a family to check out - your post makes it sound like a slum. I guess we'll just have to take a look for ourselves.

Thank you for your suggestions about Burnaby and Richmond. I'm suprised to hear about the delayed commute times via transit. Is it mostly due to congestion?

Old 09-02-2010, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougie86 View Post
The City of Maple Ridge
File:GVRD Maple Ridge.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
has a private school, Meodowridge School, that ranks #10 in Fraser Institute's "BC School Report Cards".
Easy access to Golden Ears Provincial Park
Things to Do and See - BC Parks - Province of British Columbia

Langley and Delta are much closer to Vancouver than Abbotsford.
Thanks for those suggestions! In your opinion, out of Surrey, Langley, Delta, Richmond, and Maple Ridge, which is the safest community? As we said, we are willing to sacrifice space and commute times as long as I know that my wife and child can explore the community on their own and feel safe.

I think Mission and Abbotsford are out of the running for now. Even if the W.C. Express is quick, the monthly rate is pretty expensive. I would rather spend more in rent and be closer to the city than spend $300 a month on a transit pass.

Old 09-02-2010, 10:47 AM

71 posts, read 172,076 times
Quote:
Wow.. It's hard to know what to believe as I seem to get so many mixed messages about Surrey. I understand a lot of comes down to personal experience. But others have said that Surrey would be a great place for someone with a family to check out - your post makes it sound like a slum. I guess we'll just have to take a look for ourselves.

Thank you for your suggestions about Burnaby and Richmond. I'm suprised to hear about the delayed commute times via transit. Is it mostly due to congestion?

Surrey is not a safe place to live, unless you drive a car. It's OK, it's not like you get killed every day, but I wouldn't take public transit from there. If you drive a car, you should be fine, but prepare to experience traffic jams if you commute to Vancouver daily. My husband used to do it and he said never again.

Burnaby is actually quite accessible to Vancouver - it's closer to downtown that Richmond. But again, if you are commuting to a place that's near a sky train station, you are OK. If you need to take a bus after, prepare to spend extra time in transit.

Richmond, same deal.

The buses are simply slow - that's it. For example, the new Canada line (skytrain) takes 15 mins to get from Richmond Center to downtown Vancouver. All good. Now if you commute from anywhere else but Richmond Centre, you need to take a bus there. Some of these suburban buses run once in 30 mins. So if you missed one, you will stand there for 30 mins, then spend 15 mins getting to Skytrains, then 15 mins skytrain ride, here is your 1 hour commute one way.

So when you rent a place, make sure that it's close to skytrain. Richmond is also safer than Burnaby, but both are pretty safe.

Richmond is predominantly Asian and Surrey is predominantly East Indian, hence lots good places to eat (if you are into ethnic food) in both places.

Old 09-02-2010, 08:49 PM

1,264 posts, read 3,861,425 times
Quote:
In your opinion, out of Surrey, Langley, Delta, Richmond, and Maple Ridge, which is the safest community? As we said, we are willing to sacrifice space and commute times as long as I know that my wife and child can explore the community on their own and feel safe.
If I have to commute daily via the Port Mann Bridge and the Pattullo Bridge to-and-from work, then I would not choose to live in Surrey. But then that is just me. Others live in Surrey and commute to work via the 2 bridges. Patullo also has a reputation of a "killer" that is undergoing an upgrade to a 6-lane bridge. When completed, tolls will be charged on both bridges.

A colleague who was transferred to Vancouver for a few years from back east, he and his wife bought a townhouse in Whalley (Surrey) and lived there without any incident. Surrey has pockets of livable neighborhoods where neighbors actually know one another and set up block watch and socialized. If you don't see some neighbors for weeks and they turn up to feed the bears, or strangers driving in-out late at night ... it can be anywhere in the Lower Mainland, not just Surrey.

I visit friends in Surrey quite a bit. Old Surrey Restaurant is one of my favorite haunts.

North Delta is more affordable than Sunshine Hills (South Delta) located between Watershed Park and Cougar Canyon Park, where houses are priced from $600k to $788k.

If you have time, check out the areas looking at houses listed on MLS.ca
Maple Ridge, Langley and Fort Langley may appeal to some people.
A colleague, also from back east originally, loves the larger plot in Langley and farms his perishables. It only takes him 30 to 45 mins to downtown via Hwy 1 and Port Mann Bridge.

New Westminster has new and old condos, some leaky ones. If you don't know what that means, just google "BC or GVRD leaky condos".
And M$ homes, like this 1912 house asking price: $1,200,000.
http://images.realtor.ca/listing/reb89/medres/5/v847905_1.jpg?PhotoId=634186905933300000 (broken link)

But I'm sure you will find some place you like and is safe for your family.

Old 09-05-2010, 01:41 AM

746 posts, read 1,676,906 times
I would consider someplace farther out, like Mission or Abbotsford. I would NOT recommend Surrey in my opinion. A relative of mine has lived there for 30 years and she says it's not even the same town.
If you need to closer to Van, maybe Burnaby would be an option - or North Van if you like the mountains. Are you looking to buy? rent?

Old 09-28-2010, 07:07 AM

Renting! There's no way I'm buying into the bubble, thanks!

Old 10-14-2010, 10:35 AM

1 posts, read 27,351 times
Funny we are in the process of moving to Toronto from the Greater Vancouver Area. We have lived in Langley for over 13 years. The community was and still is an affordable (compared to other areas) and very safe place to raise a family. The area is known for its pathways, parks, recreation facilities, sporting, family activities and shopping. Our children walked to school and we felt a strong sense of community. As for transportation, Langley has a decent infrastructure. I take the transit system daily downtown. Like Toronto, regardless of where you live there will a transportation sacrifice. I did work in Langley for several years. They have a growning industrial area that is enticing companies to locate there because of the easy access to the highway and affordable housing. We are in the process of selling our house and it will give you a sense of what you can expect if you want a home (with a view of the mountains and city) that can accommodate a growing family in child friendly cul-de-sac, close to schools and next to a pathway. See [url=http://albainbridge.com/mylistings.html]Al Bainbridge : Remax Treeland Realty : My Listings[/url]. Good luck on your adventure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver