U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2010, 11:19 AM

1,170 posts, read 4,862,375 times

Advertisements

We just got back from a one-day visit and were pleasantly surprised by the helpful attitude your city has towards tourists. Everywhere we went there were people volunteering to help with directions. Your customs/immigration officials are also very friendly, nothing like the aggressive hostility encountered returning home.

The seawall along False Creek was an unexpected treat. Next time we'll have to bring our bikes for an eat-and-drink tour of more neighborhoods.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2010, 11:26 AM

1,746 posts, read 4,792,923 times
You're welcome!

Vancouver loves tourists and their money. I'm not sure about bringing your bikes (bike rentals are all over the place) but bring more cash and stay longer next time.

Old 10-23-2010, 01:32 PM

412 posts, read 494,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzDreamer View Post
We just got back from a one-day visit and were pleasantly surprised by the helpful attitude your city has towards tourists. Everywhere we went there were people volunteering to help with directions. Your customs/immigration officials are also very friendly, nothing like the aggressive hostility encountered returning home.

The seawall along False Creek was an unexpected treat. Next time we'll have to bring our bikes for an eat-and-drink tour of more neighborhoods.

Glad you enjoyed Vancouver. I lived there and in Chilliwack (doesn't live up to its name, at all!) for several years; most of my immediate family is still in the area. About your encounter with US Customs on the return trip, you're not alone! The border crossings along the Pacific Coast always seem to be the surliest of all the ones that I have encountered. When I visit the US, I almost always cross at Detroit, and find the border guards to be quite reasonable; believe it or not, one agent actually cracked a joke! The friendliest border guards that I have encountered were at the Sweetgrass, Montana crossing and pretty good going down from Montreal to Plattsburgh, NY. My sister, who used to live in Creston, BC, about six miles north of the border maintained a mail box just over the border in Posthill, ID. I was visiting her, and she had to make the short drive down to Idaho to pick up some mail. At the border, the US border guard simply said "Hi, Sue!", waved her through, and didn't say a word to or about me (mind you, this was before 9/11). However, I got questioned by the Canadian Border guard on the return trip to Creston. Another time, I took the tunnel bus that shuttles back and forth between Windsor and Detroit. The US guard took a quick look at my ID (passports weren't required back then - 2005) and said "Have a good day!" For obvious reasons, I did not feel comfortable getting off the bus in Detroit (it was a Saturday afternoon with the area virtually deserted, and looking very depressed) so remained on the bus as it shuttled back to Windsor. When the Canadian border guard asked how long I had been outside of Canada, I replied "Oh, about ten minutes!" Apparently that set off some alarm bells, and she barked repeated questions at me, before finally letting me re-enter my own country.

I appreciate the comment you make about our border guards, but sometimes I think both tend to treat the opposite country's travellers better than they do their own returning citizens, even though it is the latter group that pays their salaries.

You're always welcome to Vancouver, and any other part of Canada, for that matter!

Old 10-25-2010, 05:46 PM

3,193 posts, read 4,436,612 times
The U.S. border here in B.C.'s lower mainland seems to have all ex-navy and marines stationed on the U.S. side, and that hasn't changed since the seventies. (look for the tats such as crossed cannons above the thumb and index finger).My brothers return to Seattle is actually planned to not run into the "usual suspects" that seem to think their job is to keep even Americans out of the states!

Canadian border inspectors quote: "We're here to get you into Canada and the U.S. side is there to keep you out!"

please refer to my photo album "border crossing livestock"
proud member, Wash. State draft horse and mule association, since '79

Last edited by thedwightguy; 10-25-2010 at 05:51 PM.. Reason: additional idea

Old 10-30-2010, 11:57 PM

10,576 posts, read 8,781,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzDreamer View Post

You're very welcome, and thank you for your graciousness.

Come back and visit again soon.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver