U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2011, 05:12 AM

1 posts, read 6,029 times

Advertisements

Hello!

We are considering moving to BC.
We have lived in very big and crowded cities long enough.
We have 3 kids, 1 in primary, 1 in middle and 1 in high school.
They've always been in private school.
That for us has been the best investment we have ever made, although it has been ( and is!) very difficult to keep up at times.
They are all doing very well in school. Well adjusted, happy young people who are thriving academically.

The school we are looking for must be independent-private.
In Vancouver or Victoria.
With no religious affiliations.
Must be co-ed, mixed.
Day school, no boarding.

We have been reading the 'Fraser Report' (controversial yet informative as well) and all other that is available.
We would really love to hear from the parents and teachers.
It is very difficult to ask the right people when we live far away and can't make a trip to compare right now.

We haven't been to Vancouver nor Victoria.
The warmer the weather, the better.
Both parents are working from home, so we can live anywhere of the two.
Where we live now has a similar climate to Victoria.

Dear people out there who are parents/teachers living or have lived in Victoria or Vancouver..
PLEASE HELP!!!

Any help is appreciated. We are trying to search as much as possible, doing our homework.

Thank you for your time and support!

M.Green & Family
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 01:28 PM

21 posts, read 167,819 times
You may want to consider the White Rock / South Surrey area of Metro Vancouver. Best of both worlds when considering both cities. Victoria is just a little too relaxed for me, and I don't care for the political and social climate on the Island.

White Rock/S Surrey It has a similar climate to Victoria (somewhat less rain than Vancouver), has a similar laid back/ocean side feel as the Island, yet it is conveniently located within Metro Vancouver - yet has a very detached feel.

According to the Fraser Institute reports, Southridge School in South Surrey is one of the top private schools in the entire region. However, it's not cheap. Last time I looked it was over $11,000 per child, per year. There are smaller independents around that are probably half the price, and are closely ranked to Southridge.

For what it's worth, living in this area and sending our son to this school would have been our first choice had we stayed in Metro Vancouver, but we are in the process of moving to Toronto...

Old 03-22-2012, 04:04 PM

1 posts, read 5,179 times
If you move to Victoria, your kids will move away as soon as they are old enough. It's pretty but too sleepy. Vancouver is a better choice. The best private schools here are not co-ed, but West Point Grey is co-ed and is supposed to be pretty good. If you live in Kitsilano or Shaughnessy, you don't necessarily have to pay for private school. Look up Shaughnessy Elementary and Prince Of Wales High School (or Lord Byng) on the Fraser Institute study. We don't live in Shaughnessy (too pricey) but found a cross-boundary spot there for our 8-year-old and she loves her school. I'm British and find the school curriculum a little too easy (especially re. mathmatics) so I've covering multiplication and I may pay for some tutoring down the line. I do love Vancouver and it has very good universities too, so your kids may not move away.

Old 04-01-2012, 05:18 AM

30 posts, read 119,828 times
I grew up about 45 minutes north of Victoria and have been to Vancouver many times, lived there for about 5 weeks recently for work.

Victoria is slightly cooler than Vancouver (according to wikipedia at least) but gets about half as much rain. The summer in Victoria will regularly see high's in the mid-20's and low 30's though and it gets more sunshine throughout the year.

Victoria is also more manageable for renting or house pricing. There are a number of private schools in both cities, I don't think finding one for any grade level would be much of a challenge although a non-religious institution would be more difficult. Obviously the selection is bigger in Vancouver simply because of volume.

If you are working from home it's worth noting that the public transit is excellent in both cities, so you could easily get by with only 1 car for the family if you and your kids don't mind taking the bus from time to time.

I don't think you would go wrong with either. It really depends if you'd rather have all the amenities of a large city or a more relaxed atmosphere. Victoria does get small after a while but as a single 22 year old I'm certainly not in the same position as you. My parents love it on the island. My dad has lived all over Canada and my mom has lived in Vancouver and the interior of BC. Both of them moved to the island when they were 30 and have loved it since then. I take any chance to visit them on my time off from school or internships and often stay at my friends' places in Victoria when I'm back. There are a number of local bars and restaurants that you can get attached to pretty quickly and there's always hiking or parks and sports facilities open.

If you do get a chance I would take the trip out to the west coast (even if it's just you and your wife) and check out both places. It's hard to make a decision between 2 great places like this without having been to either, at least recently.

Old 07-26-2014, 11:10 PM

2 posts, read 6,179 times
Hi everyone,
I live in Windsor Ontario and want to move to Vancouver and Victoria and loved it there, I just wanted to ask is the place safe is it worth moving there? People tell me it's not good and I am confused, can you guys tell me how it is there? Thank you

Old 07-27-2014, 01:30 AM

9,797 posts, read 8,095,302 times
What do you mean 'is the place safe'? Are you asking about criminal activities?

Old 07-27-2014, 09:12 PM

2 posts, read 6,179 times
Yeah I'm asking about the criminal activities and theft, and possibly which areas are more dangerous and which areas are more safe? Victoria is ranked one of the most unsafe cities on McLeans and I want to know why.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver