U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2011, 03:41 AM

2 posts, read 5,249 times

Advertisements

I wish to spend about a month in vancouver to check it out as a place to migrate to. I have never been here before. Please suggest options for SAFE areas close to public transport ( skytrain) and shopping , where I can rent a furnished room for a month for less than $1000.

thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 11:52 AM

7 posts, read 14,430 times
Eeesh, less than $1000 a month...well, Burnaby has lots of public transport including skytrain lines and you might be able to find a little shoe box for $1000 a month. It is not right downtown but is the closest suburb. Coquitlam is also nice or New West but they are farther out but they do have the transit lines. You can also try North Van, you would have to take the seabus across the bay to get to downtown but you might find accomodations there that you can afford.
Stay away from East Van, over all it can be quite sketchy and dangerous. South Van you can try but it can be a little dicey in pockets. Richmond has recently had the Canada Line (skytrain) connected so it makes getting in and out of Vancouver a breeze, it has a very large Asian population there so if you are thinking of immigrating from there you will feel at home. Good luck, hope that helps!

Old 08-18-2011, 12:29 PM

2 posts, read 5,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleVancouver View Post
Eeesh, less than $1000 a month...well, Burnaby has lots of public transport including skytrain lines and you might be able to find a little shoe box for $1000 a month. It is not right downtown but is the closest suburb. Coquitlam is also nice or New West but they are farther out but they do have the transit lines. You can also try North Van, you would have to take the seabus across the bay to get to downtown but you might find accomodations there that you can afford.
Stay away from East Van, over all it can be quite sketchy and dangerous. South Van you can try but it can be a little dicey in pockets. Richmond has recently had the Canada Line (skytrain) connected so it makes getting in and out of Vancouver a breeze, it has a very large Asian population there so if you are thinking of immigrating from there you will feel at home. Good luck, hope that helps!
Thanks ElleVancouver. Yes, I am an Indian doctor immigrating to canada.I have heard/read a lot about vancouver, so my main objective is to see the best of vancouver , to make a rough assessment if I can spend my life here. Not particular about living in an asian neighborhood.

After reading your post, I thought I would be better off spending more on a month's rent rather than commmuting from one of the remote areas. If we forget about $1000, which area would you suggest would be the best close to the city and what kind of rents are we looking at there?

Old 08-18-2011, 12:40 PM

7 posts, read 14,430 times
Red face Ahhh...okay, if you can pay a bit more for rent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinddoc View Post
Thanks ElleVancouver. Yes, I am an Indian doctor immigrating to canada.I have heard/read a lot about vancouver, so my main objective is to see the best of vancouver , to make a rough assessment if I can spend my life here. Not particular about living in an asian neighborhood.

If we forget about $1000 which area would you suggest would be the best for my objective and what kind of rents are we looking at there?
I would for sure think that if you want to be close to the downtown core, where all the shops, restaurants, Stanley Park and the beaches are then North Van North Vancouver) would be your best bet to stay at that $1000 mark. IF you can spend a bit more for rent, then I would check out Kits (Kitsilano), it would be my number one place to live that has lots of easy transit, beautiful communities and it's own vibe, while being minutes to downtown and beaches. Oh and don't worry about the snow...it melts almost as fast as it comes down...if it does at all...just be prepared for rainy, gray skies in the winter months. It's not tan you see but rust! Okay, it's not THAT bad, the summers are usually wonderful here, hotter inland, cooler by the ocean.

Old 01-07-2012, 01:12 AM

8 posts, read 48,116 times
Hi kinddoc, I live in Burnaby and my room-mate is a doctoral student also from India. Rent is under $500inclusive furnished and next to Edmond's skytrain station which is a 2 min ride to Metrotown and 20 mins to downtown Vancouver. Very safe here.. have lived incident free for 3 years. I'd think there would be tons of other similar places here near Metrotown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver