U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2011, 01:29 AM

28 posts, read 28,898 times

Advertisements

OK so my situation is I'm 22 and I'm coming to Canada mid 2012 to see friends and then work on Whistler for a winter season. But after the season I'm not to sure what to do. I'd love to stay in the Vancouver area as I don't really like it here in Australia any more.

I don't have many degree's or licenses as iv been a bit lazy and its kinda coming back to slap me in the face now, Like I have qualifications but no MAJOR ones, I really enjoy the construction industry/mining/big factory work and I have worked in many a few times over the past years.

As I Don't have many licenses ill be looking in to finding courses to get myself some qualifications, E.g Forklift, Bobcat, Front-end loader, Rigger.
Does anyone know of any good companies that can offer courses in these such licenses, And would it be worth getting? Or should I just go a completely different path?

Any info will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks
Andy.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2011, 03:57 AM

??? I don't get it.
Can I get a serious answer please.

Old 12-21-2011, 04:13 AM

1,746 posts, read 4,794,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyB1989 View Post
??? I don't get it.
Can I get a serious answer please.
Don't worry. You will get a serious answer from the moderator.

Old 12-21-2011, 04:24 PM

3,060 posts, read 7,533,667 times
One wouldn't expect that at the age of 22 you would have many degrees or licences . . .

If you are coming to Canada to study you should be able to get a student visa and then stay on after you are finished your studies (immigrate).

What qualifications do you currently have? And if you are only coming over in mid-2012, wouldn't you be able to take forklift courses before you come over? Ski season only starts in October in Whistler.

Quote:
OK so my situation is I'm 22 and I'm coming to Canada mid 2012 to see friends and then work on Whistler for a winter season. But after the season I'm not to sure what to do. I'd love to stay in the Vancouver area as I don't really like it here in Australia any more.

I don't have many degree's or licenses as iv been a bit lazy and its kinda coming back to slap me in the face now, Like I have qualifications but no MAJOR ones, I really enjoy the construction industry/mining/big factory work and I have worked in many a few times over the past years.

As I Don't have many licenses ill be looking in to finding courses to get myself some qualifications, E.g Forklift, Bobcat, Front-end loader, Rigger.
Does anyone know of any good companies that can offer courses in these such licenses, And would it be worth getting? Or should I just go a completely different path?

Any info will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks
Andy.

Old 12-21-2011, 05:09 PM

Yeah I know I want to travel and see some summer before I head up to Whistler for the season so ill be in the country for just under a year minimum just lost at what I can do to stay around for longer after that.

I have a lot of little licenses, First Aid, Confined Space, Lifeguard, OH&S Construction Card and yes I will be getting forklift here and also maybe a few others if my money situation is good.

I have heard rumours that you can apply for a 2 year visa, is this true? Would it be possible to start an apprenticeship while under a 2 year working Visa?

Old 12-21-2011, 06:30 PM

1,269 posts, read 3,564,070 times
Quote:
I really enjoy the construction industry/mining/big factory work and I have worked in many a few times over the past years.

Quote:
... and yes I will be getting forklift here and also maybe a few others if my money situation is good.
To work as a forklift/crane operator, you'll need a trades qualification certificate issued by the province or Red Seal.

A 12-week training (in Alberta) costs $20,650
High Velocity Equipment Training - Programs (http://www.heavymetaltraining.com/programs.html - broken link)

Fees not shown on this one (in Calgary). You may have to write them to find out.
SK Driver Training Ltd.* -** Heavy Equipment Operator Training.

Old 12-22-2011, 09:41 PM

Thanks for the above info.

But i got another question.

I see that i can stay in the country for 2 years on a working visa. But it takes 3 years to gain permanent residency...How can i get that extra year to then apply for permanent resident???

Old 12-22-2011, 10:02 PM

3 posts, read 40,858 times
leave the country and come back under a new work permit

Old 12-22-2011, 10:44 PM

1,269 posts, read 3,564,070 times
Quote:
Thanks for the above info.

But i got another question.

I see that i can stay in the country for 2 years on a working visa. *But it takes 3 years to gain permanent residency...How can i get that extra year to then apply for permanent resident???*
*misinformation, imho*

If you are on a working visa and after two years of full-time skilled work experience in Canada, you can apply to stay permanently under the Canadian Experience Class.
Quote:
Canadian Experience Class
If you are a temporary foreign worker .......... , you often have the qualities to make a successful transition from temporary to permanent residence. You are familiar with Canadian society and can contribute to the Canadian economy. You should have knowledge of English or French and qualifying work experience.

Applying to stay in Canada permanently in your case is simple. .......
Now the question is can you get a job that is considered "skilled work experience" full-time for 2 years? If yes, then your employer can help you to extend your stay while you apply for your Canadian PR.

According to the Canadian National Occupational Classification (NOC), skilled work experience means:
Quote:
Canadian Experience Class: Who can apply
  • Skill Type 0 (managerial occupations) or
  • Skill Level A (professional occupations) or
  • Skill Level B (technical occupations and skilled trades)
Scroll to the middle of the page, to read the 4 Skill Levels: A,B,C,D.
Tutorial

In your earlier post, you asked about apprenticeship. I really don't know. Canadian companies are notorious at neither hiring nor training newcomers, what more foreign temporary workers. But you never know, you might be one of those lucky ones. There were a couple on this forum who were on Temporary Work Visas, wanting to apply for Permanent Residency status. I don't feel like doing a search at the moment.

Hope the above will give you some heads up.
If you are interested in mining & Oil gas industries, you might want to ask over at Calgary & Edmonton sub-forums.

Old 12-24-2011, 04:00 AM

Sweet thanks heaps for the info! Gives me something to work with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver