Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2012, 09:38 AM

2 posts, read 28,389 times

Advertisements

Hey people,
I will be moving from Montreal to Victoria before July. Now the big headache is the moving cost. I have a fair amount of things to move around (~one studio)

I heard that moving across the continent is so expensive. So, any ideas about the cost of
1) moving on land? (truck etc)
2) sea shipping (Montreal - Panama - Victoria) --- I heard it's cheaper, and I don't mind if it takes longer.

thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 11:57 AM

4,374 posts, read 11,223,721 times
The cost will most likely be higher than what it would cost to replace everything (unless you have high end equipment etc. to move). There is a weekly auction in Victoria and many classifieds you can buy from. When I moved from Toronto I only borught what would fit in my car and shipped a few boxes (through mail or courier - check out Greyhound).

Quote:
Originally Posted by knovecc View Post
Hey people,
I will be moving from Montreal to Victoria before July. Now the big headache is the moving cost. I have a fair amount of things to move around (~one studio)

I heard that moving across the continent is so expensive. So, any ideas about the cost of
1) moving on land? (truck etc)
2) sea shipping (Montreal - Panama - Victoria) --- I heard it's cheaper, and I don't mind if it takes longer.

thanks everyone!

Old 03-07-2012, 08:56 PM

2 posts, read 28,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
The cost will most likely be higher than what it would cost to replace everything (unless you have high end equipment etc. to move). There is a weekly auction in Victoria and many classifieds you can buy from. When I moved from Toronto I only borught what would fit in my car and shipped a few boxes (through mail or courier - check out Greyhound).
thanks
can I have an idea how much you shipped (approx. xxx kg etc) and how much you paid for TO-VAN?

Old 03-07-2012, 10:21 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,223,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knovecc View Post
thanks
can I have an idea how much you shipped (approx. xxx kg etc) and how much you paid for TO-VAN?
I may have shipped 3 boxes worth but I have no idea how much it weighed, it was back in 2004. I did it through Mail Boxes Etc. and can't even remember if they used Canada Post or UPS. I may have paid $150 but I packed my car to the hilt.

Get insurance if you ship anything that way as if it's breakable it might break.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:51 AM

167 posts, read 856,595 times
I'm moving from Barrie (1 hour north of Toronto) to Victoria or somewhere near Victoria (maybe Sooke) this summer or early autumn. I'm giving myself some extra time to work as much as possible and save up so I have a fund to live off while I get settled.

I'm thinking of stuffing my minivan full and towing a Uhaul trailer behind it. I don't recall the exact payload rating of my van, but it's supposed to be the best of any minivan ever made, comparable to many full size pickups. (it's a 2005 Chevy Astro 2WD). A one-way rental on a Uhaul trailer should run about $500, $300 to get a trailer hitch installed and maybe a extra $100 or $200 in gas for the extra weight. So, about $1000 to move from Barrie to Victoria. But I have to add in hotels for 4 or 5 nights and the cost of the ferry and food, plus about $500 to $600 in gas, so more like $2500 or $2600. Let's say $3000 just to be safe.

Still, not bad considering I paid about $2500 two years ago to move from Montreal (well, West Island, Pierrefonds) to Barrie (big mistake, wish I had stayed in Montreal). I used a large nationwide moving company. A small unknown company may have done it a bit cheaper, but moving long distance is expensive. Too bad we weren't moving at the same time, maybe we could have split the cost on a 5 ton Uhaul truck (I have a Class 2 licence with an air brake endorsement, so I can drive it).

I'm also considering selling much of what I have and taking only what will fit in my minivan. So, no furniture, just clothes and household items and my dog. Some of my furniture is really nice and I could not replace it for what I paid for it, and especially not what I could sell it for locally. I figure the cost of the trailer rental, getting a trailer hitch installed and extra cost of fuel is about $1000. The rest I would pay anyways, since I want to drive my van out there anyways and keep it since it's in excellent condition and fully paid for. Basically, I'd be moving the contents of a 1 or 2 bedroom apartment - depending if I bring everything or sell a few things before moving. If some of the furniture is partially disassembled, it would fit in the trailer. I kind of like the idea of having all of my nice furniture rather than shopping around for all new stuff and probably paying a lot more than $1000 to furnish my new apartment when I get there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver