Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2021, 03:06 PM

11 posts, read 7,895 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

My wife and I are new to the Vancouver area. We just moved in to our rental property downtown. Considering that we're new to the area, we aren't super familiar with some of the grocery stores in the area. Can anyone provide any insight about which chains are more affordable, and which ones might sell the same items for more money? We've considered joining Costco (since we've shopped there before) but given that we are only two people it doesn't really make sense to buy everything there.

I appreciate your time and input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2021, 08:37 PM

5,010 posts, read 590,308 times
No Frills in Denman Mall....

Old 07-15-2021, 02:36 AM

11 posts, read 7,895 times
Thank you for the tip! How about local chain supermarkets? I heard that SaveonFoods is a good affordable option, but I was wondering how it stacks up among the other chains.

Old 07-15-2021, 08:14 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,520,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren604 View Post
Thank you for the tip! How about local chain supermarkets? I heard that SaveonFoods is a good affordable option, but I was wondering how it stacks up among the other chains.
SaveonFoods is a quality local chain and fine to shop at, but not one of the most affordable, more comparable to Safeway with some Whole Foods vibes. I usually walked to Costco on Saturdays and picked up like the same 12 things in my handcart and bought the smaller staples at the local IGA down the street from me throughout the week (but IGA downtown is not exactly cheap).

Old 07-15-2021, 09:40 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
When I was living in Vancouver I used to do the majority of my bulk staples shopping at the Real Canadian Superstores, Extra Foods, No Frills. They are all subsidiaries of Loblaws and they all have affordable prices. Most of the RC Superstores also carry live sea foods and they have quite large frozen and fresh sea foods departments. Also clothing and housewares departments and pharmacies.

Save On Foods and Price Smart Foods (subsidiaries of Overwaitea) are a bit more expensive but offer a greater variety of specialty and high end products, as well as also having bulk foods departments in most of their stores. Some of the SOF stores also have wine departments that sell BC wines.

And then of course there is Walmart which is very cheap but I don't know if there is a Walmart in downtown Vancouver. There is a Walmart Super Center on Grandview Highway.

You will have to look online to find all of the store locations in Vancouver.

Old 07-15-2021, 10:31 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,394,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
SaveonFoods is a quality local chain and fine to shop at, but not one of the most affordable, more comparable to Safeway with some Whole Foods vibes. I usually walked to Costco on Saturdays and picked up like the same 12 things in my handcart and bought the smaller staples at the local IGA down the street from me throughout the week (but IGA downtown is not exactly cheap).
What it is the take out food like in the save on foods in your area? The one I go to here in Winnipeg is awesome. They have chinese food, filipino food, chicken, soups, peroghis etc etc....I iove going to save on foods.

Cost co is better, but its always packed.

Old 07-15-2021, 03:03 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,520,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
What it is the take out food like in the save on foods in your area? The one I go to here in Winnipeg is awesome. They have chinese food, filipino food, chicken, soups, peroghis etc etc....I iove going to save on foods.

Cost co is better, but its always packed.
I am out of the area now, but it was excellent like yours, this was the store near Cambie and Broadway.

Old 07-15-2021, 03:05 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,464,793 times
Huge Asian/Chinese population,check out Chinatown for seafood and veggies

Old 07-16-2021, 10:02 AM

676 posts, read 646,949 times
Yeah some of the cheapest produce are in those mom and pop Chinese grocery stores there, and a lot of good selections of non-perishables at great prices. Just be a bit careful with where you park and your surroundings.

Old 07-16-2021, 10:51 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,394,325 times
I saw a documentary about the vanishing Vancouver chinatown. It would be a real shame if that area was to disappear. The older CHinatowns have much more character and charm than these soulless strip mall and shopping centre chinatowns popping up all over north america.

Last edited by UrbanLuis; 07-16-2021 at 11:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver