U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 11:34 PM

1,582 posts, read 4,553,742 times

Advertisements

Hollywood gossip Perez Hilton has noted that Canada will soon have its own version of the "Real Housewives" tv franchise- Vancouver.

Based on how "Real Housewives" in the US are, does this imply Vancouver is Canada's "Flashy" or "Superficial" city- since they didnt select any other city (like Toronto or Montreal) first?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2012, 12:13 AM

254 posts, read 507,813 times
I saw the preview for this, the thing is there are very wealthy people here in Vancouver (and the North Shore). Oprah and Sarah Mc Laughlin both have homes in West Vancouver, so it should be no surprise to anyone that the area is filled with money. These super wealthy people are the minority, severe minority, and if anyone thinks Vancouver is flashy or superficial just based on watching this show then they don't have much going on upstairs...sorry

Old 03-16-2012, 12:28 AM

1,582 posts, read 4,553,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janacanada View Post
and if anyone thinks Vancouver is flashy or superficial just based on watching this show then they don't have much going on upstairs...sorry
well there must be some element of that- if not producers wouldnt even consider it, the parallel line of thinking that there will never be "Real Housewives of Omaha" or "Real Housewives of Pittsburgh"...i guess Montreal wasnt selected as there is the Francophone element (not mainstream for the country) and Toronto is too predictable, or generic, i guess.

Hope they show the show in the US! Guess I can catch it online

Old 03-16-2012, 12:43 AM

212 posts, read 326,927 times
I was surprised they didn't pick T.O first. I watched the preview and one of the 'housewives' said the way she got her wealth was from 2 divorces. I mean, come on. All the housewives shows are really superficial.

Old 03-16-2012, 06:06 AM

10,538 posts, read 8,696,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
Hollywood gossip Perez Hilton has noted that Canada will soon have its own version of the "Real Housewives" tv franchise- Vancouver.

Based on how "Real Housewives" in the US are, does this imply Vancouver is Canada's "Flashy" or "Superficial" city- since they didnt select any other city (like Toronto or Montreal) first?
Hmm. Interesting. I've never watched Real Housewives so I don't know what it's really about but judging by the previous posts here I'm guessing it's about very flashy rich people then?

Well, it wouldn't surprise me if there was going to be a similar show based around Vancouver and the Lower Mainland in general. There are actually a good number of extremely wealthy people in the Lower Mainland, they're just not all very evident because most of their estates are hidden from view from the general public. But they are there, you just have to know where to look for them. They're in Vancouver, West Vancouver, North Vancouver (up in the hills), Deep Cove, Belcarra, Point Grey, South Dunbar, Richmond, White Rock, Coquitlam, Pt. Moody, Maple Ridge, Thornhill, Whonnock, Ruskin, Mission, Chilliwack ..... I could go on but I think you get the point.

I have seen a lot of their estates and the humongous mansions that they've had built because I worked for a couple of years as a private chauffeur and personal assistant for a disgustingly wealthy elderly handicapped lady. She was nice but kind of a bored social butterfly and had nothing better to do with her time except to go visiting other wealthy people or else go shopping. She didn't do much shopping, she preferred visiting all the other wealthy people to see what kind of goodies they had (she was a bit of a snob and a gossip). Since I was her personal assistant I got to go into those mansions with her so that I could be in attendance on her while she visited.

Flashy? Oh my gosh, you betcha! Some of those places it's like walking into a fantasy wonderland. Superficial people? Yeah, some of them but not most of them. I can honestly say that the majority of them were very pleasant and not condescending towards me, treated me hospitably and more as an equal and enjoyed conversing with me too. I had fun during the 2 years I worked for that old lady and got to meet some very interesting people.

I'll have to keep an eye out now to catch the Vancouver version of Real Housewives and see what that's all about. Should be interesting.

Old 03-16-2012, 09:35 AM

233 posts, read 475,823 times
You people obviously didn't hear about the Real Housewives of Town if you think Vancouver is the first.

http://www.cbc.ca/22minutes/clips.html?ID=2203192906

Old 03-16-2012, 10:29 AM

24,285 posts, read 30,479,981 times
Not sure it says much about Vancouver specifically. There are plenty of ostentatious, over-the-top, tacky wealthy people in Toronto and Montreal as well. (Especially in the latter city.)

Old 03-16-2012, 01:18 PM

2 posts, read 4,582 times
It says that Vancouver is an American city full of Americans... I mean really it's only 40 minutes away from the border

Old 03-16-2012, 05:16 PM

410 posts, read 546,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaaaaam View Post
It says that Vancouver is an American city full of Americans... I mean really it's only 40 minutes away from the border
Most Canadian cities are... Montreal is 40 minutes from the border, so is Toronto. I do think the Western provinces in light of being so geographically separated from the East, ARE more vulnerable to 'Americanization'.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:48 PM

11,025 posts, read 24,820,483 times
It was Choosen because it is the most Expensive place to buy a House/Condo/Real Estate in
North America....

I just hope the people they choose to be on the show don't embarass me and my city..We are just like any other major PNW City in terms of lifestyle and values (ESP. Seattle)...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver