Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2012, 05:21 AM

10 posts, read 21,504 times

Advertisements

Hello, we recently sold our house in Nova Scotia, We need a change, I have a husband and eight year old twin daughters... Life has been simple for us in Nova Scotia but maybe that is the problem...We live in a small town and life is very dull...no malls,shops, very few restaurants and the winters are so dreary and cold, Not to mention the job situation in Nova Scotia is bleak...

With selling our house we have enough money to move anywhere in Canada but we would have to find jobs once we got there...Only question is where do we move? Vancouver sounds like the nicest place in Canada but without high paying jobs would i be able to send my children to a nice school? Would we be able to maintain a decent life there? I don't want to take a huge risk with all our savings to find out the job situation and living arrangements aren't what we expected....Help please....Not interested in living in the Maritimes but not sure where to go. Are there communities in Vancouver where a couple making less then $70,000 can get by without living with druggies/crime?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 03:07 PM

3 posts, read 5,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sea/snow View Post
Hello, we recently sold our house in Nova Scotia, We need a change, I have a husband and eight year old twin daughters... Life has been simple for us in Nova Scotia but maybe that is the problem...We live in a small town and life is very dull...no malls,shops, very few restaurants and the winters are so dreary and cold, Not to mention the job situation in Nova Scotia is bleak...

With selling our house we have enough money to move anywhere in Canada but we would have to find jobs once we got there...Only question is where do we move?. Are there communities in Vancouver where a couple making less then $70,000 can get by without living with druggies/crime?
I would suggest moving to Alberta and postponing the move to BC until your daughters are in university. Alberta is cold in the winter but most of those days are sunny and there is no shortage of shopping and indoor entertainment in or near any of the major cities. You will find employment much faster and housing is cheaper.
Schools are excellent with many of the alternative schools part of the public school system.
You won't escape drugs anywhere but there will be more alternative activities for your daughters to enjoy.

It will be a short flight or one days drive to visit BC and you can plan a move once you've saved some money and your daughters are out on their own so you can move to a smaller and more affordable home.

Old 04-11-2012, 07:20 PM

10 posts, read 21,504 times
Thank you for your great reply, providing the best life for my daughters in terms of education, culture, activities and safety is my biggest priority and right now Halifax is the most dangerous city per capita in Canada...Highest violent crime rates in the country. (at least last time i checked...If i'm proven wrong so be it but Halifax seems to be going downhill fast).

Alberta sounds good. Now its down to calgary or Edmonton...

Old 04-11-2012, 09:12 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,949,038 times
Quote:

With selling our house we have enough money to move anywhere in Canada but we would have to find jobs once we got there...Only question is where do we move? Vancouver sounds like the nicest place in Canada but without high paying jobs would i be able to send my children to a nice school? Would we be able to maintain a decent life there? I don't want to take a huge risk with all our savings to find out the job situation and living arrangements aren't what we expected....Help please....Not interested in living in the Maritimes but not sure where to go. Are there communities in Vancouver where a couple making less then $70,000 can get by without living with druggies/crime?
Look at the suburban areas around Vancouver, there are some very nice burbs a little distance out from the city. One that comes to mind is Gibsons, just a short ferry ride away

Old 04-12-2012, 03:23 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,289,252 times
Quote:

Well if you go to Edmonton you will be exchanging cold and dreary for freakin' cold and sunny. I remember mornings when my tires were literally frozen flat on the bottom for a kilometre or two because it was so cold overnight. Clunk clunk clunk clunk. I liked Edmonton but it is BITTERLY cold in the winter. It has lots of good points - I loved the city itself - but if cold weather is an undesireable for you in Halifax.... you ain't seen nothing yet!

Old 04-12-2012, 06:14 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,949,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineleith View Post
Well if you go to Edmonton you will be exchanging cold and dreary for freakin' cold and sunny. I remember mornings when my tires were literally frozen flat on the bottom for a kilometre or two because it was so cold overnight. Clunk clunk clunk clunk. I liked Edmonton but it is BITTERLY cold in the winter. It has lots of good points - I loved the city itself - but if cold weather is an undesireable for you in Halifax.... you ain't seen nothing yet!
Sorry , but what does Edmonton have to do with Vancouver , am I missing something here ?

Old 04-12-2012, 11:21 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,289,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Sorry , but what does Edmonton have to do with Vancouver , am I missing something here ?
She changed her mind to Edmonton or Calgary.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/23819448-post3.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver