Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 10:20 PM

1,608 posts, read 1,485,216 times

Advertisements

I wanted to rep you, fusion, but the rep police appear to think I've contributed enough to your... ahem... encouragement fund at the moment! For shame!

I'm glad to hear that my old haunt is still humming with music. It's fun to work the streets sometimes (in a non prostitute sense, of course) , and Heaven knows I'll play anywhere; I always have. I love playing in concert halls, some more so than others, but when I get hungry for an in-your-face sharing experience, Darlin' (my hubby) and I just hit the subway and go for it for an hour or so!

Next time we're updating videos, I'll put a street session on You Tube and give you a heads up!

Have a sweet and peaceful night my friend.

God bless,

Mahrie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2015, 04:51 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,879,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahrie View Post

Next time we're updating videos, I'll put a street session on You Tube and give you a heads up!

Have a sweet and peaceful night my friend.

God bless,

Mahrie.
Thank you Mahrie - I would like to see that!

Old 02-04-2015, 01:56 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,726,313 times
Quote:
When my daughter was fundraising in Vancouver, oh, about ten years ago now, the contributions were pitiful, particularly since West Vancouver has the greatest wealth per capita in Canada.

Mahrie.
to be fair, those "wealth" is primarily tied to their houses and those people probably can't cough up any money for your performance because every cent is paid toward the mortgage

Old 02-04-2015, 04:07 PM

984 posts, read 1,314,827 times
Vancouverites hate Toronto due to Vancouver's insecurity.

Vancouver hates the fact that they always screaming for attention and yet for most Torontonians they never even think of Vancouver. If you are a Torontonian there is only one other city you compare yourself to or even care what they think..........Montreal.

Vancouverites hate the fact that Torontonians {and Montrealers} consider Vancouver far to remote, uncultured, unimportant, parochial and small to even be concerned about.

There is only one thing worse than being talked about.........not being talked about.

Old 02-04-2015, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooguy View Post
Vancouverites hate Toronto due to Vancouver's insecurity.

Vancouver hates the fact that they always screaming for attention and yet for most Torontonians they never even think of Vancouver. If you are a Torontonian there is only one other city you compare yourself to or even care what they think..........Montreal.

Vancouverites hate the fact that Torontonians {and Montrealers} consider Vancouver far to remote, uncultured, unimportant, parochial and small to even be concerned about.

There is only one thing worse than being talked about.........not being talked about.
Do you really think that it is true though that there is kind of this prevalent - we hate Toronto sentiment.. I think the comparisons between Toronto and Montreal are as much historically rooted because both cities have been the largest and most influential in the country.. Obviously Montreal was for a longer period of time but that has shifted to T.O..

To be honest - most Torontonians are like any other people in a Canadian city - concerned about paying the bills, feeding their families and maybe saving up for the odd vaca... I think that is it in a nutshell.. This is why when I hear about things like this its really one of those things that make me go hmmm..

Anyway - I'm not sure why Vancouverites should feel that way if many do... Its the 3rd largest city in the country and is a gateway city to Canada (Port/Large International Airport/Tourism) etc .. There's so much going on to have feelings of insecurity imho..

Old 02-04-2015, 08:16 PM

1,608 posts, read 1,485,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
to be fair, those "wealth" is primarily tied to their houses and those people probably can't cough up any money for your performance because every cent is paid toward the mortgage
Nope. These people are dripping diamonds, wearing ridiculously expensive garb, driving top of the line autos and eating more in a day (in terms of quality cuts of meat and everything else) than most 'normal' (read middle class) people do in a week. A good portion of those in the 1% club also own multi-million dollar houses in Whistler as well.

Poor, they ain't! Well, not financially, anyway.

Blessings,

Mahrie.

Old 02-05-2015, 09:07 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,302,106 times
Quote:
Nope. These people are dripping diamonds, wearing ridiculously expensive garb, driving top of the line autos and eating more in a day (in terms of quality cuts of meat and everything else) than most 'normal' (read middle class) people do in a week. A good portion of those in the 1% club also own multi-million dollar houses in Whistler as well.

Poor, they ain't! Well, not financially, anyway.

Blessings,

Mahrie.
A lot of it is overseas generated bling...and very different cultural attitude regarding charity....

Old 02-24-2015, 04:21 PM

1 posts, read 1,209 times
I just came across this forum while I was searching for weather differences in Vancouver and Toronto, haha.
I'm currently studying in Toronto, but I'm from Vancouver.

When I was in Vancouver, I heard some people say Torontonians were cold, business-minded people. Now that I'm here I don't think that's true at all. Torontonians are down-to-earth, if not more than Vancouverites, and are very friendly (at least the people I've met so far). Also they have an oddly pleasant camaraderie -- like we have to stick together to survive this cold. Just yesterday, I went to a cafe and a really nice family gave me a ride home because they thought it was too cold for me to walk home. I live 3 minutes walking distance from the cafe.

Also people here are just... easier to talk to. I love Vancouver, my fam/friends, and other Vancouverites, but some can come across as snobby, excessively health-conscious, or even judgemental. When I go home to Vancouver, I won't miss the place, but I'll miss the people here.

Old 02-25-2015, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by river_ville View Post
I just came across this forum while I was searching for weather differences in Vancouver and Toronto, haha.
I'm currently studying in Toronto, but I'm from Vancouver.

When I was in Vancouver, I heard some people say Torontonians were cold, business-minded people. Now that I'm here I don't think that's true at all. Torontonians are down-to-earth, if not more than Vancouverites, and are very friendly (at least the people I've met so far). Also they have an oddly pleasant camaraderie -- like we have to stick together to survive this cold. Just yesterday, I went to a cafe and a really nice family gave me a ride home because they thought it was too cold for me to walk home. I live 3 minutes walking distance from the cafe.

Also people here are just... easier to talk to. I love Vancouver, my fam/friends, and other Vancouverites, but some can come across as snobby, excessively health-conscious, or even judgemental. When I go home to Vancouver, I won't miss the place, but I'll miss the people here.
I just can't get over how absolutely DUMB people must be to think that everyone in a city with 2.8 million people and a metro or over 6 million are all the same.. If you come to Toronto and start looking at people like they are Cylons chances are you're going to get a cold reaction..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver