U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 05-31-2012, 12:54 PM
 
1,218 posts, read 2,285,692 times
Reputation: 1343

Advertisements

I'm asking this question sincerely. Really, what is the real reason? Is it because we are the business centre of the country and steal the spotlight too much?, do we get an abnormal amount of media coverage?, or do you just dislike the city and attitudes and our general way of life? I know Toronto is not paradise, far from it (heck, I even moved away and don't miss it), but it's almost like people out West are raised to despise us without giving us a fair shake. Now that I live in the US, I don't find the same kind of hate between regions that I do in Canada, very strange since everyone thinks we are such a 'nice' and 'gentle' people, but not amongst each other.

And btw, people in Toronto view Vancouver favourably. We think it's beautiful and relaxed. Probably hard to make a living job wise and buy a place but a great place to visit and is probably the nicest part of the country from a visual perspective. So seriously, what's up?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-31-2012, 01:05 PM
 
1,746 posts, read 4,792,923 times
Reputation: 1175
Do you mean: Why do people (in general) dislike Toronto?

You don't find the same kind of hate between regions in the US that you do in Canada? Really? I always thought, it's MUCH worse in the US than in Canada.

Don't believe me? Just visit numerous US forums here on City data, especially City vs. City forums. You'll see.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2012, 01:26 PM
 
1,218 posts, read 2,285,692 times
Reputation: 1343
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingwiththewind View Post
Do you mean: Why do people (in general) dislike Toronto?

You don't find the same kind of hate between regions in the US that you do in Canada? Really? I always thought, it's MUCH worse in the US than in Canada.

Don't believe me? Just visit numerous US forums here on City data, especially City vs. City forums. You'll see.

I've lived her for two years and I hear jabs and people do say they can never live in certain parts of the country but I don't hear people say they 'hate' NYC for eg even if they would never want to live there. They still take pride that is it NYC and it is part of the USA for the most part.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2012, 01:41 PM
 
10,847 posts, read 12,362,172 times
Reputation: 7742
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathanc View Post
I've lived her for two years and I hear jabs and people do say they can never live in certain parts of the country but I don't hear people say they 'hate' NYC for eg even if they would never want to live there. They still take pride that is it NYC and it is part of the USA for the most part.
Americans won't hate NYC. One can't deny NYC is the pride of the USA. Without NYC, the US will lose much of its glamour for sure, the same thing can't be said to other cities at least not on the same scale.

If one dislike NYC, more than likely she doesn't like cities in general. New York is quintessential what urbanity is about, no other city on this continent, and very few on the Earth come close.

Canadians hate Toronto maybe because, unlike New York, it is not that kicking-ass fantastic. It is not beautiful, nor is it globally influential enough to be the pride of Canada, which makes it hard to hate. You know in many parts of the world, people know Vancouver far better than Toronto. Many believe Vancouver is Canada's capital. Not many know where exactly Toronto is.

However, people from Toronto have this attitude as if only they matter, and Toronto is simply the best, no argument allowed. And this triggers resentment. New Yorkers probably can do that in some way, but Toronto is far from there, yet they pretend it is.

Last edited by botticelli; 05-31-2012 at 02:07 PM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2012, 01:54 PM
 
1,218 posts, read 2,285,692 times
Reputation: 1343
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Americans won't hate NYC. One can't deny NYC is the pride of the USA. Without NYC, the US will lose much of its glamour for sure, the same thing can't be said to other cities at least not on the same scale.

If one dislike NYC, more than likely she doesn't like cities in general. New York is quintessential what urbanity is about, no other city on this continent, and very few on the Earth come close.

Canadians hate Toronto maybe because, unlike New York, it is not that kicking-ass fantastic. It is not beautiful, nor is it globally influential enough to be the pride of Canada, which makes it hard to hate. You know in many parts of the world, people know Vancouver far better than Toronto. Many believe Vancouver is Canada's capital. Not many know exactly Toronto is.

However, people from Toronto have this attitude as if only they matter, and Toronto is simply the best, no argument allowed. And this triggers resentment. New Yorkers probably can do that in some way, but Toronto is far from there, yet they pretend it is.
Newyorkers have an attitude and they get away with it. When I work there, I carried it slightly when I went to other places. But when I or my friends have visited Vancouver, the people automatically shut off when you say you are from Toronto. Suddenly a smile with your coffee followed by 'have a nice day' becomes a basic hand off of your coffee and 'next'. There is resentment there and I certainly don't nor do I know anyone who comes to the West Coast with an attitude. I feel like we are pre-judged almost. I know people from Toronto who have lived there and got so sick of the Toronto-bashing, mostly by people who have never visited the city, they had to leave. Perhaps there are bad apples out there ruining the rep of the majority is what you are saying. Perhaps. But I was hoping to get some local Vancouver opinions on this topic?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2012, 09:41 PM
 
Location: Canada
4,761 posts, read 9,133,968 times
Reputation: 5152
It's not just Vancouverites, this general dislike of Toronto is very famous for being present in all parts of Canada outside of Toronto and its immediate surroundings. Mostly because it seems like a bland, sprawling work-a-day town without much unique character or sense of place, and the people are stereotyped as cold and materialistic. I don't personally think this is srictly the case, bt it's what people think when they hear "Toronto".
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2012, 09:48 PM
 
Location: Toronto
3,338 posts, read 6,243,107 times
Reputation: 2396
Ah, the famous Toronto-vs-the-rest-of-Canada thing. Never gets old, does it?

They are either from Toronto or they hate Toronto
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2012, 10:20 PM
 
10,576 posts, read 8,781,651 times
Reputation: 23098
Why do Vancouver people dislike Toronto?

I don't know. This is news to me. I've personally never heard any Vancouverites putting down Toronto. What have I been missing?

.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2012, 10:55 PM
 
1,674 posts, read 3,838,514 times
Reputation: 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
It's not just Vancouverites, this general dislike of Toronto is very famous for being present in all parts of Canada outside of Toronto and its immediate surroundings. Mostly because it seems like a bland, sprawling work-a-day town without much unique character or sense of place, and the people are stereotyped as cold and materialistic. I don't personally think this is srictly the case, bt it's what people think when they hear "Toronto".
And then when some of those people actually visit Toronto for the first time and find it's nothing at all like that, they're often shocked and pleasantly surprised.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2012, 05:19 AM
 
396 posts, read 771,216 times
Reputation: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticman View Post
And then when some of those people actually visit Toronto for the first time and find it's nothing at all like that, they're often shocked and pleasantly surprised.
Somewhat, toronto is just another canadian town, the constant reference to new york or chicago just grinds my gears. If we wanted to live in an american city we would relocate.

Toronto is just an over crowed place, the only upside too me is a down side for many, which is the fact that it feels like planet mars culturally speaking. It has far more in common with dubai, than it'll ever have with chicago. This lack of self awareness is what gives toronto a bad name. If toronto was a person it would be constantly refering to itself in the 3rd person.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top