Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 11:45 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,722,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman249 View Post
Piffle.

Vancouver also has a thriving movie industry. Third largest film city in North America after LA and NYC. Vancouver is the place to be for animation, CGI, etc....
We are talking about high tech here. Filming is nowhere near high tech as far as I know.

And the animation, CGI companies, are they Vancouver based ones, or just a branch of an American parent? Silicon Valley doesn't exactly just have a branch or an office of 30 people of Google and Facebook.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2014, 12:03 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,300,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman249 View Post
Piffle.

Vancouver also has a thriving movie industry. Third largest film city in North America after LA and NYC. Vancouver is the place to be for animation, CGI, etc....

Learn something today:
British Columbia held the ranking of third largest production centre for film and television in North America for years, after Los Angeles and New York City,[53] with over 246 motion picture projects and $1.02 billion on production spending in 2010.[41][54] However, declining domestic production in the province through 2011 and less competitive tax rates left BC ranked fourth in overall production after Ontario for the first time since 2004 although it still leads in foreign production.[30][41][53][55]

North Shore Studios - formally Lionsgate Studios - and Vancouver Film Studios are among the two largest special effects stages in Canada.[9][56] VFS being one of the largest production facility outside of Los Angeles;[57] Bridge Studios, in Burnaby, British Columbia, has one of the largest special effects stages in North America.[56] Mammoth Studios, a subsidiary of North Shore studios holds the largest film stages in the world,[citation needed] their largest at 123,883 sq ft (11,509.1 m2).[58]
Hollywood North - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Vancouver movie industry is mainly B-movies where Vancouver act as an American city...again..lower cost consideration not exactly quality production.....and the industry itself got seriously whacked recently....Natnasci says is recovering....maybe, not heard of anything other than quite few people got relocated or lost their job when production companies moved out.

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/may...ation-20130501

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/fil...182/story.html

CGI and video games?? Again, mainly satellite offices of US corporations.

Samsung has recently opened an "R&D center " in Vancouver...in reality is mainly a B2B customer support and service center.

One of the few really great Vancouver native companies is Ballard System. D-Wave could be huge but, as I said before, still has a lot to prove.

Last edited by saturno_v; 11-12-2014 at 12:36 PM..

Old 11-12-2014, 12:47 PM

2,829 posts, read 3,173,463 times
To be honest, I really do wish that Vancouver could gradually develop a more concentrated tech/startup ecosystem like Austin TX or Cambridge MA. At the very least, Vancouver already has the basic hardware infrastructure - great infrastructure, efficient and fairly capable municipal government that is business friendly, great city planning and public transit, decent unis (though still far behind 1st tier schools on east and west coasts or even UofT/Waterloo in Ontario), and nice proximity to major U.S. business hubs on the west coast. Plus the fact that it has fairly robust international reputation as a place with high living standards. Those are all great assets that Vancouver should capitalize on, that many cities around the world would kill to have.

Sadly, I think Vancouver is still being actively marketed as a little "Hong Kong" and real estate bubble for wealthy foreign investors, along with some mining businesses on the side, as well as a destination for some retirees from other parts of Canada. Sigh...

Old 11-12-2014, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
To be honest, I really do wish that Vancouver could gradually develop a more concentrated tech/startup ecosystem like Austin TX or Cambridge MA. At the very least, Vancouver already has the basic hardware infrastructure - great infrastructure, efficient and fairly capable municipal government that is business friendly, great city planning and public transit, decent unis (though still far behind 1st tier schools on east and west coasts or even UofT/Waterloo in Ontario), and nice proximity to major U.S. business hubs on the west coast. Plus the fact that it has fairly robust international reputation as a place with high living standards. Those are all great assets that Vancouver should capitalize on, that many cities around the world would kill to have.

Sadly, I think Vancouver is still being actively marketed as a little "Hong Kong" and real estate bubble for wealthy foreign investors, along with some mining businesses on the side, as well as a destination for some retirees from other parts of Canada. Sigh...
Ottawa and Kitchener/Waterloo are both competing for the tech hub title as well. Ontario is even planning a high speed train linking London and Toronto with stop in KW, which will make the area within half an hour from downtown Toronto.

I am more optimistic about KW than about Vancouver, which is a bit too isolated. Remember, technology needs all the finance, legal sector nearby as well and Vancouver simply doesn't have that (at least not enough).

Old 11-12-2014, 01:31 PM

Quote:

I would not put the words "great infrastructure" and "business friendly" together with Vancouver....there is a very good reason why people do not invest money in Vancouver other than buying and building real estate and natural resource play....you do not want to repeat here what some big business people think about business in Vancouver....

Old 11-12-2014, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
I would not put the words "great infrastructure" and "business friendly" together with Vancouver....there is a very good reason why people do not invest money in Vancouver other than buying and building real estate and natural resource play....you do not want to repeat here what some big business people think about business in Vancouver....
Dude I thought you decided to ditch Vancouver and move to America recently, judging by your past posts. Why are you still complaining about Vancouver? Unlike you, I actually do have family (mom) who started and now heads an institutional investment management firm in Vancouver, and who is more than well-versed with the local municipal laws regarding new businesses.

Old 11-12-2014, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Ottawa and Kitchener/Waterloo are both competing for the tech hub title as well. Ontario is even planning a high speed train linking London and Toronto with stop in KW, which will make the area within half an hour from downtown Toronto.

I am more optimistic about KW than about Vancouver, which is a bit too isolated. Remember, technology needs all the finance, legal sector nearby as well and Vancouver simply doesn't have that (at least not enough).
Do you have more info on the high speed link? I have heard of rumors but have found little information, not to mention when it will actually be built (not holding my breath... give it 30+ years).

Old 11-12-2014, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Dude I thought you decided to ditch Vancouver and move to America recently, judging by your past posts. Why are you still complaining about Vancouver? Unlike you, I actually do have family (mom) who started and now heads an institutional investment management firm in Vancouver, and who is more than well-versed with the local municipal laws regarding new businesses.

I'm not complanining...I'm stating how the things are...and I do still have occasional business ties with Van.
About knowing big business people in Van I have that in spades, people in the construction business (one of the largest firm), import export and, through my wife, financial management.

My brother in law is business development manager for the US and international markets for one of the largest private companies based in Vancouver...so I got my bases covered about business reality knowledge in Vancouver, thank you

Old 11-12-2014, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Do you have more info on the high speed link? I have heard of rumors but have found little information, not to mention when it will actually be built (not holding my breath... give it 30+ years).
I don't hold breath either.

It is Canada, where building a 19km subway requires 10-12 years (Eglinton Crosstown) construction only, and extending 6 subway stops takes 6 years (Spadina line extension). The 80 meter long tunnel at YTZ is taking more than 2 years to build.

Just watched "interstellar" yesterday, and Canada moves slower in a different planet.

I don't think this will ever happen. But politicians will say anything to get elected, especially the liberals.

I can imagine the 200 km Toronto-London high speed link if built will be more expensive than 1300km Shanghai-Beijing high speed train, and will definitely take 3 times longer as well. (it took the Chinese 3 years to complete that)

Old 11-12-2014, 02:59 PM

1,170 posts, read 1,023,714 times
Quote:

I would argue that Vancouver proper is anything but business friendly under the current political environment. "Greater Vancouver" has more diversity in thinking around the importance of business. Mind you we're weeks from a new municipal election so things could change.

As for retirees, I haven't heard of an influx of retirees to Vancouver - is there data on this? In my experience Victoria, the Fraser Valley and the Okanagan are more likely to be retirement destinations in BC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver