Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 10:38 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,302,106 times

Advertisements

I just came back yesterday from 2 day visit in Van...and you see things that make you go hmmm... - Quite few people (young and generally fit, not looking mentally disturbed or so) collecting metal cans around the back roads of upscale West Vancouver. - People living in houses with 10 other people or more so they can say they live in West Van - People (many elderly) at every corner standing for hours under the sun with signs in their hands trying to sell parking spots to PNE goers out of their theoretically million dollar houses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 05:52 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
Okay, so you're a snob, we get that. So what? Do you want an attaboy pat on your turned up nose for it?

Old 08-24-2013, 01:41 AM

81 posts, read 154,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
I just came back yesterday from 2 day visit in Van...and you see things that make you go hmmm... - Quite few people (young and generally fit, not looking mentally disturbed or so) collecting metal cans around the back roads of upscale West Vancouver. - People living in houses with 10 other people or more so they can say they live in West Van - People (many elderly) at every corner standing for hours under the sun with signs in their hands trying to sell parking spots to PNE goers out of their theoretically million dollar houses.
This is quite an unnecessary post to say the least. Judging from your previous posts it's obvious your not very satisfied with living in BC and have a strong desire to live in Australia. Instead on constantly complaining how much better Sydney is than Vancouver why not do yourself a favour and make the move? Your a grown ass man in control your own decisions no one is stopping you!

Any city that has a high cost of living will have people attempting to live lifestyles they can't afford. You make it sound like this only occurs in Vancouver. The most common complaint I hear from people who bash Vancouver is that it is too expensive. Im not trying to justify $1 million dollar shoe boxed apartments but in 2013 high quality of life is not cheap.

FYI I actually love Australia myself, the golden coast is beautiful and Sydney has some of the best nightlife in the world. Personally I could never live there I think its just too far from North America & Europe but it is definitely one of my favourite places to visit.

Last edited by pugsnotdrugsmang; 08-24-2013 at 02:02 AM..

Old 08-24-2013, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugsmang View Post
This is quite an unnecessary post to say the least. Judging from your previous posts it's obvious your not very satisfied with living in BC and have a strong desire to live in Australia. Instead on constantly complaining how much better Sydney is than Vancouver why not do yourself a favour and make the move? Your a grown ass man in control your own decisions no one is stopping you!

Any city that has a high cost of living will have people attempting to live lifestyles they can't afford. You make it sound like this only occurs in Vancouver. The most common complaint I hear from people who bash Vancouver is that it is too expensive. Im not trying to justify $1 million dollar shoe boxed apartments but in 2013 high quality of life is not cheap.

FYI I actually love Australia myself, the golden coast is beautiful and Sydney has some of the best nightlife in the world. Personally I could never live there I think its just too far from North America & Europe but it is definitely one of my favourite places to visit.
Evidently you do not read my posts very well...I no longer live in BC (thank God) since 2002 even f I go often up there to visit friends and on an occasional business trip. Seattle, where I currently reside, is not ideal by any stretch of imagination but for my needs and life choices is miles ahead of Van. I absolutely love Sydney but life circumstances prevent me to move there (established career, marriage, etc..) I will try for San Diego in few years, hopefully....

Old 08-24-2013, 08:19 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,726,313 times
What's so good about West Van? A boring residential nabe with houses and condos totally not worth the price.
If I can afford those, I will live in a real great city.

Old 08-25-2013, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
What's so good about West Van? A boring residential nabe with houses and condos totally not worth the price.
If I can afford those, I will live in a real great city.
It's a great place to live and raise a family for these reasons:

- Most of the homes are located close to Ambleside Beach, Dundarave & Horseshoebay. For the most part these places escape the "party crowd" that English Bay & Kits Beach seem to attract. Perfect to bring your kids to.

- The views are spectacular and post card worthy. Very similar to what you would see on grouse mountain except from right outside your house.

- Location! Close proximity to Downtown. One minute your in perfect safe suburbia the next your in a densely populated city

- Crime is almost non existent. The only things cops deal with in West Van are domestic abuse and drunk teenagers.

I'm not going to deny its very expensive. For the price of an older run down house you could buy a brand new condo in Manhattan. Really it's all about what kind of environment suits you.
West Van dosn't have any hip bars or nightlife but its not supposed to. If I want to go shopping or have some fun downtown is just on the other side of the bridge. Thats a short 5 minute drive from Park Royal.

Last edited by pugsnotdrugsmang; 08-25-2013 at 01:59 AM..

Old 08-26-2013, 12:53 AM

1,574 posts, read 5,117,647 times
yes, Vancouver.

Lots of young able-bodied lowlife types sleeping outside when they can just do something productive for the country's well-being instead of relying on the cruise ship passengers tossing out American change

Old 08-26-2013, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
yes, Vancouver.

Lots of young able-bodied lowlife types sleeping outside when they can just do something productive for the country's well-being instead of relying on the cruise ship passengers tossing out American change
At least we don't have gangbanging hood rats and residential neighbourhoods that look like 3rd world mexico
You really think socal's homeless population is any better?

Last edited by pugsnotdrugsmang; 08-26-2013 at 03:14 AM..

Old 08-26-2013, 07:55 PM

1,863 posts, read 5,149,764 times
Quote:
At least we don't have gangbanging hood rats and residential neighbourhoods that look like 3rd world mexico
A good one

Would rep you again if I could.

Old 08-27-2013, 11:47 AM

Quote:
SoCal homeless population is very high for the very reason is high in Vancouver...good weather (in the case of Vancouver, by Canadian standards) and somewhat generous social services
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver