U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2014, 07:38 AM

10,847 posts, read 12,353,229 times

Advertisements

^^
We elected the government to represent us. If we need a referendum on every matter, there is no point in democracy - plus what the people want and what is good for the country could be two totally different things.

Hold a referendum about forcing all millionaires to share their wealth with average people, and it is very likely to pass.

China may be 1300m, but the nouveau riche is by no means that big - probably 3M; and the Canadians aren't buying in the entire US, but just mostly a small portion of Florida. The Tempa Bay Area has a population of 2.8M only.

regarding your last point - funny you talk about local culture and resentment. It is ironic that Canada always claims to love "diversity", until the white is not the majority and white "culture" is not dominant any more - who says they should be? I find many people who claim to love diversity is very hypocritical - they embrace it as long as they themselves remain the majority and the day they feel more mandarin is heard than English, they feel threatened and started the "resentment" and talking about "loss of local culture" - well, maybe the new culture is superior to local culture. If your want 80%+ white community with a little bit of diversity, move to Saskatchewan or Maritimes, you will find the comfort there.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2014, 01:33 PM

218 posts, read 467,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by igol001 View Post
Right, you are just full of it are you, you know your hatred would not stop people who look different moving to Vancouver, infect you should move away then you don't have to face it lol, get a job and suck it up,jeoulasy will not get you anywhere........pity you.
You don't bring anything here except personal attacks and you need to go.

Old 01-14-2014, 04:13 PM

Quote:
You should have read your own post before you attack me or any Asian.
I attack you or Asians, where?

Old 01-19-2014, 11:47 AM

Quote:
peace!!! Can't believe i'm wasting my breath on this. Buddy,you need hlp………. My best wish for you from the bottom of my heart.and be a happy person.
You're a funny guy, it's not me being so agitated stumbling over keyboard to spit out all this nonsense.

Old 01-19-2014, 05:17 PM

326 posts, read 482,007 times
Quote:
peace!!! Can't believe i'm wasting my breath on this. Buddy,you need hlp………. My best wish for you from the bottom of my heart.and be a happy person.
Sorry to interject, but you write like a crazy person

Old 01-20-2014, 08:13 AM

1,746 posts, read 4,791,650 times
Quote:
I think, YOU are the one who needs help.

Old 01-26-2014, 04:39 AM

1 posts, read 1,167 times
Most of the Chinese in Vancouver are actually from Hong Kong, hence the name Hongcouver. And yes, Hongers are partly to blame for the prices, but the Canadian government is also in part to blame for their immigration policies of trying to lure rich immigrants. I'm sure a lot of dirty deals were made between Hong Kong elites and the Canadian government. There's also a lot of propaganda going around the corporate media about how Vancouver is supposed to be one of the "most livable cities" in the world, so that might drive up the demand, and make Vancouver more expensive. It's funny how the shills all like to talk about how "red" China (really, what's been red about them in the past 35yrs?) is pointing missiles at Taiwan, but conveniently censor out the menacing missile defence shields the U.S. regime has pointed at China, and Russia, which are much more provocative and threatening.

Old 01-29-2014, 09:49 AM

2 posts, read 2,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTourist View Post
..I agree governments will welcome money, but at the same time they should protect interests of people whom it represents. I don't see a good balance happening here. As I said, they're ruining young generation and productive people there, which is a financial apartheid by own government and will have long term consequences. The ultimate example of government caring about money and not giving damn about people is catering to oil extortion companies of African governments. It's not on that level in Canada, but Canada blew it.

In Switzerland though locals are doing extremely well and taken care of, unlike Canadians. Have you seen a poor Swiss? They're considering a mandatory basic income for their citizens now of around $2,800/month and will vote on it soon. Though I'm not sure how it's relevant here, just a detail. And I don't remember entire Swiss cities transformed to something resembling a completely another country, an incohesive dysfunctional Babylon of a kind. What has been done to Canada is just too much.
This is spot on.

While previous waves of immigrants pulled up stakes in their native country to build a better life in Canada, this is not the case for many of the Chinese arriving here now. The Hong Kong wave came to get the security of a passport. Threat over, they went back often leaving empty real estate investments behind, limiting suuply. The current Mainland China wave comes and buys real estate as an investment, a place for the wife and kids, or a crash pad for a school age child. Their is no intent to build a life in Canada. There are 295,000 "Canadians" living in Hong Kong! Where is the commitment to Canada?

Someone mentioned the explosive growth of Langley. Explosive because that's where those who live and work in Metro Vancouver have been forced out to buy, for affordability reasons. Meanwhile real estate closer to employment centres is often empty and always unattainable.

Old 01-31-2014, 04:58 PM

2,096 posts, read 4,165,288 times
Not the Chinese per se, but some investors from there are. Also the fact Vancouver is the only place in Canada (aside from Victoria of course) that doesn't get a bitterly cold winter.

Old 01-31-2014, 06:24 PM

10,847 posts, read 12,353,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTRIP View Post
It's funny how the shills all like to talk about how "red" China (really, what's been red about them in the past 35yrs?) is pointing missiles at Taiwan, but conveniently censor out the menacing missile defence shields the U.S. regime has pointed at China, and Russia, which are much more provocative and threatening.
Of course.
Canada normally applies double standard with it comes to stuff like that, or choose selective blindness when it comes to aggressiveness of its "ally". Its pretentious moral high ground is often sickening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver