U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 12:07 AM

12,893 posts, read 12,363,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post

That is the important thing as it shows that a person in San Jose can purchase 22.58% more goods than somebody in Toronto based on cost of living vs income.
I just quickly took a look at the cost of renting a 2 bdrm apartment in S.J vs T.O - Its far more expensive in S.J... One factor of many to consider when you factor in C.O.L comparisons.. If you go by generalized websites like Numbeo etc they don't tell nearly the whole story.

For example - I did a comparison for Milk costs in Toronto vs S.J (on this so frequently cited website) and it lists Toronto as costing 1.98 cents for a liter of milk - It costs 3.99 for 4 liters of milk in T.O..It states a loaf of fresh white bread is 2.78 - B.S it is 1.00 at Dollarama for a loaf of Chateau White bread.. It gets some things right but it gets a whole heckuva lot of things wrong..

Numbeo's stats are largely USELESS for realistic C.O.L comparisons.. Especially when I as a local look at the prices lol... it really is a joke to base your comparisons on such websites..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2014, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHeartedOne View Post
Hi All,

I'm a senior IT Architect working for a major bank in Toronto. I also teach at one of the colleges. In total, I make around 170k and life is good in Toronto but I have one major problem!! IT'S COLD!!

I've been thinking about moving to Vancouver as I've heard it's warmer. I need to know how the IT job market is and how are the salary levels compared to Toronto.

Also, I'm considering moving to California. I understand it is a wide range. but my motive is very simple. I don't want to spend the rest of my life 4-5 month of boring COLD weather each year. - No offence! I love everything else about Toronto!

P.S, I'm married, no children and renting [for the time-being]

Thanks for your help!
If the cold is that much of an issue for you - I agree with others, from an economic and weather perspective - California would probably give you a higher income and better weather package than Vancouver. I did a quick search on apartment rental costs in S.J and they look to be higher than in T.O - though with a 170K income or possibly greater in California - The costs wouldn't be an impediment though I would use caution believing everything you read about C.O.L being that much less... If you do make the move to S.J - do come back and share the C.O.L vs Toronto.. for everyday life expenses - and please be honest about it - you would have the most recent and relavent comparitive data..

Old 12-07-2014, 07:15 PM

3,034 posts, read 4,135,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I just quickly took a look at the cost of renting a 2 bdrm apartment in S.J vs T.O - Its far more expensive in S.J... One factor of many to consider when you factor in C.O.L comparisons.. If you go by generalized websites like Numbeo etc they don't tell nearly the whole story.

For example - I did a comparison for Milk costs in Toronto vs S.J (on this so frequently cited website) and it lists Toronto as costing 1.98 cents for a liter of milk - It costs 3.99 for 4 liters of milk in T.O..It states a loaf of fresh white bread is 2.78 - B.S it is 1.00 at Dollarama for a loaf of Chateau White bread.. It gets some things right but it gets a whole heckuva lot of things wrong..

Numbeo's stats are largely USELESS for realistic C.O.L comparisons.. Especially when I as a local look at the prices lol... it really is a joke to base your comparisons on such websites..
That is also true of anywhere. You can find these same items a lot cheaper in San Jose than what they list. We all know that renting is very high in San Jose but so are incomes much higher which is why the local purchasing power is better in San Jose

Old 12-07-2014, 07:22 PM

Quote:
If the cold is that much of an issue for you - I agree with others, from an economic and weather perspective - California would probably give you a higher income and better weather package than Vancouver. I did a quick search on apartment rental costs in S.J and they look to be higher than in T.O - though with a 170K income or possibly greater in California - The costs wouldn't be an impediment though I would use caution believing everything you read about C.O.L being that much less... If you do make the move to S.J - do come back and share the C.O.L vs Toronto.. for everyday life expenses - and please be honest about it - you would have the most recent and relavent comparitive data..
I will tell you right now that the cost of living is higher in San Jose. However the incomes are much higher which more than offsets the cost of living. That is why San Jose has a higher local purchasing power. I lived and worked in Silicon Valley for many years and go back there pretty frequently. For a software or hardware developer, Silicon Valley is the big leagues. No other place compares.

Old 12-08-2014, 03:04 PM

161 posts, read 582,938 times
I am in IT in Toronto. I work in a bank, and also teach at a community college.

In general, I expect contractor rates and FTE annual salaries to be less in Vancouver than Toronto. How much less, that is open for discussion.

I also expect that the job pool for someone in your role, experience, skillset to be less in Vancouver than in Toronto as well.

It will be a trade off, hopefully not one that is too dramatic (from a finance perspective).

To provide some context, I was recently offered the same role I am in now by a firm in Vancouver. The contractor rate offered was 30% less gross, and the FTE salary was 40% less gross.

Not a deal breaker for some, but, it was enough for me.

Old 12-08-2014, 05:02 PM

Quote:
I will tell you right now that the cost of living is higher in San Jose. However the incomes are much higher which more than offsets the cost of living. That is why San Jose has a higher local purchasing power. I lived and worked in Silicon Valley for many years and go back there pretty frequently. For a software or hardware developer, Silicon Valley is the big leagues. No other place compares.
Fair enough - I was solely speaking from the perspective of similar incomes and C.O.L... If we factor the industry the OP is in - I have no doubt he'd more than likely snap up a higher salary in S.J... Plus, if the weather is that much of an issue for him in Toronto than obviously California is going to be more appealing than anywhere in Canada. The fact that a city like S.F is close by and the entire Bay Area is a great draw.. Having said all that, I know he'll miss the Big Smoke

Old 12-08-2014, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Fair enough - I was solely speaking from the perspective of similar incomes and C.O.L... If we factor the industry the OP is in - I have no doubt he'd more than likely snap up a higher salary in S.J... Plus, if the weather is that much of an issue for him in Toronto than obviously California is going to be more appealing than anywhere in Canada. The fact that a city like S.F is close by and the entire Bay Area is a great draw.. Having said all that, I know he'll miss the Big Smoke
Personally, I would pick San Diego over San Jose. It has better weather and a much lower cost of living, The COL is considerably less than Toronto. I lived in San Diego for a number of years and now live just an hour away. It is all good though as long as everybody is happy.

Old 12-23-2014, 03:21 PM

17 posts, read 19,317 times
Vancouver is the high tech capital of Canada.

Old 12-23-2014, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Personally, I would pick San Diego over San Jose. It has better weather and a much lower cost of living, The COL is considerably less than Toronto. I lived in San Diego for a number of years and now live just an hour away. It is all good though as long as everybody is happy.
San Diego just isn't my kind of town..Its not large or urban enough..atleast with San Jose - S.F isn't too far away.. As you said though, as long as everybody is happy!

Last edited by fusion2; 12-23-2014 at 05:25 PM..

Old 12-23-2014, 08:37 PM

Quote:
San Diego just isn't my kind of town..Its not large or urban enough..atleast with San Jose - S.F isn't too far away.. As you said though, as long as everybody is happy!
I go to New York City for my dose of a big city but I would much rather live in a city like San Diego. San Diego is the 2nd largest city in California after Los Angeles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver