U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-23-2014, 09:42 PM
 
Location: Toronto
12,893 posts, read 12,361,859 times
Reputation: 3942

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
I go to New York City for my dose of a big city but I would much rather live in a city like San Diego. San Diego is the 2nd largest city in California after Los Angeles.
Well of course NYC gives the biggest dose of urbanity in the U.S and Canada but the problem is you are far from it so it isn't practical to get onto a tube and be in a strong urban environment in 20-25 minutes. Heck if i'm getting on a plane to go somewhere i'm not really going to NYC to be honest. Anyway, San Diego is the second largest 'city' in Cali but its not as strong a contiguous urbanized area as the Bay area and S.F is far more urban/dense and interesting, so for me i'd take S.J over S.D... Actually if I lived in California i'd choose S.F or somewhere close. You simply aren't going to get a pocket with the density and urbanity of San Francisco's 840K people anywhere in the San Diego area.. Tijuana doesn't count at all imo.. Any consolation - L.A doesn't do it for me either.

How is San Diego urban? Its not really known for that is it? Vancouver has more impressive urbanity and density than San Diego.

Last edited by fusion2; 12-23-2014 at 10:07 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-23-2014, 10:07 PM
 
Location: Murrieta California
3,034 posts, read 4,134,676 times
Reputation: 2284
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Well of course NYC gives the biggest dose of urbanity in the U.S and Canada but the problem is you are far from it so it isn't practical to get onto a tube and be in a strong urban environment in 20-25 minutes. Heck if i'm getting on a plane to go somewhere i'm not really going to NYC to be honest. Anyway, San Diego is the second largest 'city' in Cali but its not as strong a contiguous urbanized area as the Bay area and S.F is far more urban/dense and interesting, so for me i'd take S.J over S.D... Actually if I lived in California i'd choose S.F or somewhere close. You simply aren't going to get a pocket with the density and urbanity of San Francisco's 790K people anywhere in the San Diego area.. Tijuana doesn't count at all imo.. Any consolation - L.A doesn't do it for me either.

How is San Diego urban? Its not really known for that is it? Vancouver has more impressive urbanity and density than San Diego.
You have never lived in any of those cities in California so you can't judge what it is like to actually live there. You have to understand that many people like myself do NOT want to live in a densely populated urban area. My wife and I visit New York City every summer for a few weeks. We stay right in mid-Manhattan and enjoy the city BUT we wouldn't want to live there. NYC is the only city in North America that I like to visit.

In Canada, I far prefer Montreal over Toronto or Vancouver. I do NOT like Toronto at all. I have spent a lot of time in all these places and have lived in the San Francisco Bay area, San Diego, Los Angeles, Vancouver, Miiami FL, Phoenix AZ, Caracas Venezuela, Mexico, and many other cities. I worked in both Toronto and Montreal.

Again, having said all this, it really doesn't matter what you or I think. I am very happy where I live and I assume you are happy where you live so nothing else matters. Each person has their own criteria for choosing where to live.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2014, 10:16 PM
 
Location: Toronto
12,893 posts, read 12,361,859 times
Reputation: 3942
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
You have never lived in any of those cities in California so you can't judge what it is like to actually live there. You have to understand that many people like myself do NOT want to live in a densely populated urban area. My wife and I visit New York City every summer for a few weeks. We stay right in mid-Manhattan and enjoy the city BUT we wouldn't want to live there. NYC is the only city in North America that I like to visit.

In Canada, I far prefer Montreal over Toronto or Vancouver. I do NOT like Toronto at all. I have spent a lot of time in all these places and have lived in the San Francisco Bay area, San Diego, Los Angeles, Vancouver, Miiami FL, Phoenix AZ, Caracas Venezuela, Mexico, and many other cities. I worked in both Toronto and Montreal.

Again, having said all this, it really doesn't matter what you or I think. I am very happy where I live and I assume you are happy wher you live so nothing else matters. Each person has their own criteria for choosing where to live.
Dude - I clearly stated to you that I like living in an URBAN environment.. San Diego is simply not an urban city.. Do I need to go there to confirm what I know.. San Diego is far too spread out and sparsely populated for my liking.. No need to take it personally - I wouldn't like Pheonix, Houston, Dallas for much the same reason.. Cities like Montreal, Vancouver, Toronto, S.F, NYC, Chicago are more my liking because they all have strong and urban DT core areas.. We all have our preferences.. I'd visit S.D but please tell me, for someone who likes an urban city why would I like S.D.. I got it - you don't like Toronto... no sweat..... most people who like urban Canamerican cities like T.O because its well... urban especially in the context of San Diego which is not very much so..

Show me a street in San Diego as urban as one major arterial in Old Toronto like King, Queen, Yonge, Bloor, Dundas, College etc. Maybe one if you're lucky in the historic heart.. If S.D is more urban than I give credit please show me the way - i'm open.

Aside from all that - yer right it doesn't matter what the other thinks.. Its personal preference.

Last edited by fusion2; 12-23-2014 at 10:31 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2014, 10:39 PM
 
Location: Murrieta California
3,034 posts, read 4,134,676 times
Reputation: 2284
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Dude - I clearly stated to you that I like living in an URBAN environment.. San Diego is simply not an urban city.. Do I need to go there to confirm what I know.. San Diego is far too spread out and sparsely populated for my liking.. No need to take it personally - I wouldn't like Pheonix, Houston, Dallas for much the same reason.. Cities like Montreal, Vancouver, Toronto, S.F, NYC, Chicago are more my liking because they all have strong and urban DT core areas.. We all have our preferences.. I'd visit S.D but please tell me, for someone who likes an urban city why would I like S.D.. I got it - you don't like Toronto... no sweat..... most people who like urban Canamerican cities like T.O because its well... urban especially in the context of San Diego which is not very much so..

Show me a street in San Diego as urban as one major arterial in Old Toronto like King, Queen, Yonge, Bloor, Dundas, College etc. Maybe one if you're lucky in the historic heart.. If S.D is more urban than I give credit please show me the way - i'm open.
First, calling someone dude doesn't say much for your maturity. As soon as somebody starts saying dude then I assume I am dealing with a teenager with no credibility.

I never said that SD was an urban city. That is one of the reasons I like living there. I get it that you like urban areas so lets just leave it there. End of discussion.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2014, 10:44 PM
 
Location: Toronto
12,893 posts, read 12,361,859 times
Reputation: 3942
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
First, calling someone dude doesn't say much for your maturity. As soon as somebody starts saying dude then I assume I am dealing with a teenager with no credibility.

I never said that SD was an urban city. That is one of the reasons I like living there. I get it that you like urban areas so lets just leave it there. End of discussion.
Dude - you need to lighten up a bit.... lol.....

Someone so pompous to use 'End of discussion' as if they control the forum doesn't say much for his social skills outside of a rigid hierarchy... If you didn't realize yet - this is a 'casual' forum... We aren't at work and you're not my boss

http://www.amazon.ca/Dont-Sweat-Smal.../dp/0786881852

Aside from all that, I told you I like living in urban environments and thus we both rightfully concluded S.D wouldn't be the place for for me. You were the one going down this road that I was unfairly judging S.D because I hadn't lived there...Its ok though, you finally see the light.

Last edited by fusion2; 12-23-2014 at 10:55 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2014, 09:13 AM
 
10,847 posts, read 12,385,753 times
Reputation: 7742
Quote:
Originally Posted by Van City Man View Post
Vancouver is the high tech capital of Canada.
you wish. Even Waterloo and Ottawa are ahead of Vancouver.

What high tech stuff is actually invented in Vancouver?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2014, 12:56 PM
 
Location: New York
218 posts, read 468,189 times
Reputation: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
you wish. Even Waterloo and Ottawa are ahead of Vancouver.

What high tech stuff is actually invented in Vancouver?
Agree, Vancouver is not a high tech capital (even of Canada) or anything like that. I remember only 2 companies with their own somewhat interesting R&D-- one tries to build quantum computers and the other one is a fuel cell developer. Also Canadarm was developed in Richmond, I think, but NASA could do exactly the same of course. They allowed Canada to develop it so this fact could be put in Canadian history books as an achievement.

Vancouver has some branches of American companies, like Microsoft, but they follow the same Canadian branch plant economy idea-- Americans open 2nd rate branches in Canada to park people without the need of getting h1-b visas (hard to get now), pay less than in the US and offload some boring projects while all execs who are responsible for budget and decisions sit in the US of course. Vancouver has also some other startups funded by American businessmen.

Name me anything remarkable coming from Vancouver, if you disagree.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2014, 01:52 PM
 
3,420 posts, read 2,395,459 times
Reputation: 1412
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTourist View Post
Agree, Vancouver is not a high tech capital (even of Canada) or anything like that. I remember only 2 companies with their own somewhat interesting R&D-- one tries to build quantum computers and the other one is a fuel cell developer. Also Canadarm was developed in Richmond, I think, but NASA could do exactly the same of course. They allowed Canada to develop it so this fact could be put in Canadian history books as an achievement.

Vancouver has some branches of American companies, like Microsoft, but they follow the same Canadian branch plant economy idea-- Americans open 2nd rate branches in Canada to park people without the need of getting h1-b visas (hard to get now), pay less than in the US and offload some boring projects while all execs who are responsible for budget and decisions sit in the US of course. Vancouver has also some other startups funded by American businessmen.

Name me anything remarkable coming from Vancouver, if you disagree.
+1

The 2 most interesting tech companies in Van are pretty Ballard Power Systems and D-Wave...and the latter still has a LOT to prove.

There is a good CGI talent, but American capital.

Most of the big tech presence in Van are low cost service center, for example IMB in Burnaby and now Samsung, etc..

Lower wages than the US, people "sound like Americans" in client facing roles, closeness to the US, easier and cheaper to send consultants to visit clients.

The few high tech companies that get noticed often they invariably end up snatched up by American companies with local entrepreneurs are very eager to cash out.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2014, 01:55 PM
 
3,420 posts, read 2,395,459 times
Reputation: 1412
Quote:
How is San Diego urban? Its not really known for that is it? Vancouver has more impressive urbanity and density than San Diego.
San Diego is urban enough for my taste and many others.....Van fans always assume that density is the way to go and always desirable.....not everyone like it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2014, 04:10 AM
 
Location: Toronto
12,893 posts, read 12,361,859 times
Reputation: 3942
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
San Diego is urban enough for my taste and many others.....Van fans always assume that density is the way to go and always desirable.....not everyone like it.
Its still more of an impressive urban centre than San Diego imo! I was speaking in context to the dude who loves S.D.. Its just not my kind of town. In Canada, outside TOR and MTL, YVR is the most urban city of size in the country. I personally wouldn't pick it over other major urban cluster in Canamerica if I had the choice (so I wouldn't categorize myself as a 'Vanfan'), but i'd certainly take it over S.D and many other U.S cities. You like anything U.S so why would I expect you to say any different. You'd prolly prefer Omaha to Montreal, Toronto or Van just because its in the U.S soo.... As for Van being too dense, well in the context of Toronto it isn't so Vancouver's density doesn't threaten me at all

Last edited by fusion2; 12-25-2014 at 04:25 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top