Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 12:43 PM

1 posts, read 9,986 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I'm a senior IT Architect working for a major bank in Toronto. I also teach at one of the colleges. In total, I make around 170k and life is good in Toronto but I have one major problem!! IT'S COLD!!

I've been thinking about moving to Vancouver as I've heard it's warmer. I need to know how the IT job market is and how are the salary levels compared to Toronto.

Also, I'm considering moving to California. I understand it is a wide range. but my motive is very simple. I don't want to spend the rest of my life 4-5 month of boring COLD weather each year. - No offence! I love everything else about Toronto!

P.S, I'm married, no children and renting [for the time-being]

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2014, 09:12 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,520,966 times
I hear that IT is pretty good in Vancouver, one of the most in demand fields in this city. Not working in this field, however, I will leave others to fill in the details.

Old 09-03-2014, 08:39 PM

3 posts, read 26,824 times
To Goodauthorone:
So what did you decide?
I am in same boat, but from Sydney Aus...wanted to pick among Toronto and van
I am working at technical Analyst UC with over 5 years experience at Sydney and now received Canadian PR

Old 09-04-2014, 12:00 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,716,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHeartedOne View Post
Hi All,

I'm a senior IT Architect working for a major bank in Toronto. I also teach at one of the colleges. In total, I make around 170k and life is good in Toronto but I have one major problem!! IT'S COLD!!

I've been thinking about moving to Vancouver as I've heard it's warmer. I need to know how the IT job market is and how are the salary levels compared to Toronto.

Also, I'm considering moving to California. I understand it is a wide range. but my motive is very simple. I don't want to spend the rest of my life 4-5 month of boring COLD weather each year. - No offence! I love everything else about Toronto!

Thanks for your help!
Moving to Vancouver "because it is warmer" - let me be blunt, is stupid. You will most likely face lower income and high cost in everything. And in return you get marginally better weather? Vancouver is not warmer. It is only warmer in the winter compared with Toronto and you get all the rain and grey sky. Not sure if it is worth it when you already have a pretty great life in Toronto.

I understand you don't want to spend 4-5 months in cold weather every year, but in moving, you are getting 4-5 month soggy days between 0 and 10C, not 360 days of warm sunshine. Plus a much smaller city (1/3) with correspondingly few amenities.

Moving to California is a different matter, and if you could, by all means. Even if your income remains the same (most likely higher), you will have a good life even in the most expensive San Francisco.

Old 09-04-2014, 12:04 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,716,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidhuinoslo View Post
To Goodauthorone:
So what did you decide?
I am in same boat, but from Sydney Aus...wanted to pick among Toronto and van
I am working at technical Analyst UC with over 5 years experience at Sydney and now received Canadian PR
Move to Vancouver is

1) you simply want to avoid cold winter and snow at all cost. any minus degree makes you cringe.
2) being near the ocean and mountain vastly increases your perceived quality of life

Otherwise, I don't see the point.
I actually don't know why you want to leave Sydney. Can we trade places?

Old 09-04-2014, 02:57 PM

Thanks Botticelli for your time and suggestions
I still haven't decided fully if move or not, only key reason of this is my mother and brother in Toronto, and we are feeling sometimes lonely being living here since 2000

But otherwise I am enjoying every day Australia's magnificent weather and high wages.
Now got Canadian PRs in hand that is another reason it is ticking in mind

Old 09-05-2014, 10:49 AM

28 posts, read 48,816 times
I just made the move to Vancouver for IT Professional ( I am servers/network )

Salary is less in Vancouver than in Toronto for entry level, but at your level it should be very similar.
Cost is similar. Both Toronto and Vancouver are expensive.
Both cities are good, but Vancouver is lacking in the middle layer of IT Professionals they all go elsewhere.

I have been here for a few months and so far it has been a very positive experience.

Have you looked at Seattle? Very similar but better pay and less cost

Old 09-08-2014, 09:41 PM

Hi guys what is scope in Vancouver for technical analysts (unified communication) with about 3 years experience.what you think would be the salary or hourly rates. Is this worth asking permanent roles or there is no such roles anymore. Can this be hunted while overseas or one has to be present onshore.

So far have not received positive experience while job hunting while overseas
Please advise

Old 12-06-2014, 12:53 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,774,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHeartedOne View Post
Hi All,

Thanks for your help!
California hands down. Higher pay, lower cost of living ( except for Silicon Valley ) great weather and outdoor activities. Silicon Valley is expensive but IT salaries are very high. I was a software design consultant ( real-time, embedded ) for several years, mainly in Silicon Valley.

Local Purchasing Power in Toronto is 22.58% lower than in San Jose, CA

That is the important thing as it shows that a person in San Jose can purchase 22.58% more goods than somebody in Toronto based on cost of living vs income.

Old 12-06-2014, 04:10 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,296,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidhuinoslo View Post
Thanks Botticelli for your time and suggestions
I still haven't decided fully if move or not, only key reason of this is my mother and brother in Toronto, and we are feeling sometimes lonely being living here since 2000

But otherwise I am enjoying every day Australia's magnificent weather and high wages.
Now got Canadian PRs in hand that is another reason it is ticking in mind

Sidhuinoslo

Nobody forces you to use your brand new PR card...you can always return it...

Trading Sydney for Vancouver?? A folly in my book....and yes I'm an IT professional and lived both in Syd and Van....make sure you spend a month or more in van and get the real pulse of the place and ask a lot of questions, do not fall for the pretty tourist facade.
The city itself is very pretty even if a bit bland and the surrounding scenery is beautiful but weather is mediocre at best and the social environment is much more provincial than Sydney, arts and culture is a joke....career opportunities are also generally more limited.

Now if you can get a green card for the US that is a different story...

Last edited by saturno_v; 12-06-2014 at 04:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver