Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 08:26 AM

2 posts, read 36,756 times

Advertisements

Which City is nicer, Vancouver British Columbia or Seattle Washington?

I am interested in peoples opinions; which city is nicer? I have strong feelings on this matter because I lived in both place for 15 years plus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2014, 06:24 PM

854 posts, read 1,481,603 times
I love Vancouver, don't really like Seattle much. Vancouver just feels a lot more happening and it's more intimately connected with nature.

Old 07-06-2014, 08:08 PM

43 posts, read 147,033 times
That's a hard call! I haven't lived in both cities, but love them both! They are so similar in ways, but so different in ways! I'd love to hear what you think as you've lived in both.

I would say Vancouver is more stunning in scenery, but I do love Seattle's skyline

Seattle feels more like a big city to me, seems more cosmopolitan and has MUCH better shopping! I love Nordstoms

They have big city businesses like Boeing, Starbucks, Amazon and Microsoft etc.. and I think Vancouver is a small city with not much HQ's or big business here. What does Van have? EA, HSBC sports and film? Although all the movies they film here are suppose to be Seattle

I do like that in Van you can live in the downtown area and there is so much nature right at your doorstep, which I'm not sure Seattle has unless you go outside of the city a little?

Sports, I say Seattle!! Although I'm not a huge hockey fan, maybe I would think differently if I was?

I can't say where people are nicer, as I haven't lived in Seattle.. I don't find Vancouver to be friendly, but I haven't noticed Seattle people any nicer, but I haven't lived there.

I think it's hard to say which is nicer, it's hard for me to say as I have only lived in Vancouver. I do really like visiting Seattle and go often enough, but not enough to say which I prefer.

Old 07-06-2014, 08:14 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,520,966 times
I prefer Vancouver, but it's a matter of taste! Seattle has the advantages of more big businesses and cheaper housing. Vancouver has the advantages of a nicer natural environment, a larger urban core, and IMO a better approach to lifestyle.

Old 07-08-2014, 01:28 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,120,375 times
Vancouver is better for walking the streets, relaxing and enjoying days off. Seattle has better skyline, real economy and probably better quality of life. If you are a tourist, you will probably like Vancouver more.

Old 07-10-2014, 04:00 PM

43 posts, read 147,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlobeTrotter2000 View Post
People in Vancouver are very envious and jealous. Maybe its a Canadian thing. I also find people in Vancouver very crabby, especially around Davie st. People have an attitude problem, especially many asians. Some people try to pretend that they are better than you. Too many homeless, welfare people around. Too much drug use. Obnoxious rent prices, terrible building quality. People with mental issues.
Hi Globetrotter,

I can see that you don't like vancouver, and I agree with much of what you said, but also see the positives of vancouver as a city. My only question is, who are vancouverites envious or jealous of? I would say that if you think the people act like they are better, then better than who?

I would say that many people who live here and are pretentious (west coast snobs) actually think they are better and are not jealous at all. Just my observation though.

Old 07-11-2014, 03:59 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,774,057 times
I have lived in both Vancouver and Seattle. I far prefer Seattle. Seattle has a much lower cost of living and much better career opportunities at higher pay. I also don't like the aggressive panhandlers in Vancouver.

Old 07-11-2014, 09:57 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,374,083 times
Before Bill Gates mom got a gleam in her eye we used to say Seattle was Vancouver.........with no class and no style.
How things have changed. HOWEVER, the violent crime factor would put me way off of Seattle.

There really isn't a place in Vancouver where I wouldn't walk around at all hours. You really can get around without a vehicle.
It's a port city with all that attracts but Vancouver doesn't have a gun culture, random violence to speak of, or marginalized groups left on their own.

Old 07-12-2014, 01:01 AM

360 posts, read 982,255 times
It depends on what you consider important in a city, and also on whether you intend to live or just visit.

Both cities are similar in various ways especially the climate and demographics.

Personally, Vancouver is a good place to visit for you have access to skiing resorts like Whistler and beautiful beaches like Wreck Beach and English Bay. It also has arguably the best Asian food in North America and summer climate is just perfect.

Seattle is probably better to live in perhaps because it has a better economy and job market than Vancouver. Also, it is relatively less expensive especially in terms of housing.

Old 07-12-2014, 01:26 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,266,364 times
Vancouver

With Stanley Park, English Bay, Grouse Mountain, it easily wins for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver