Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2015, 09:59 PM

54 posts, read 70,088 times

Advertisements

My folks went to check out the Trump Tower show room last weekend because they want to move downtown from the 'burbs. After reading some of the info they got a catchphrase caught my eye:

"At the heart of the Golden Mile, couture shopping, fine dining, entertainment, a buzzing financial centre, Trump International Hotel & Tower® Vancouver is the most luxurious urban residence in the city."

(You can also see it here: Trump International Hotel & Tower Vancouver - Location - The Golden Mile)

So... what is this "Golden Mile"? Is it a thing nowadays to call that section of downtown the "Golden Mile"? To the best of my knowledge, the "Golden Mile" is somewhere along Point Grey where all those beautiful houses are. So I'm wondering if the Trump Tower people are attempting this as a small publicity stunt or if it is now becoming a thing to call this prime area of downtown the "Golden Mile".
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2015, 01:15 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,520,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzazz33 View Post
My folks went to check out the Trump Tower show room last weekend because they want to move downtown from the 'burbs. After reading some of the info they got a catchphrase caught my eye:

"At the heart of the Golden Mile, couture shopping, fine dining, entertainment, a buzzing financial centre, Trump International Hotel & Tower® Vancouver is the most luxurious urban residence in the city."

(You can also see it here: Trump International Hotel & Tower Vancouver - Location - The Golden Mile)

So... what is this "Golden Mile"? Is it a thing nowadays to call that section of downtown the "Golden Mile"? To the best of my knowledge, the "Golden Mile" is somewhere along Point Grey where all those beautiful houses are. So I'm wondering if the Trump Tower people are attempting this as a small publicity stunt or if it is now becoming a thing to call this prime area of downtown the "Golden Mile".
It's some really obscure marketing scheme to promote the area, I'm a guy who lives in Vancouver and is very into urban development and design and I follow development and real estate in Vancouver. I've almost never heard that term, if you go up to 100 people on the street and ask them what it means, chances are all 100 will have never heard the term before. Basically, it's just a bunch of BS to sell units, same old same old.

Old 05-07-2015, 09:27 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,716,100 times
Is it copying the Magnificent Mile In Chicago? Toronto also calls a short segment of Bloor W the "Mink Mile", when it is only less than half a mile and nothing compare to Michigan Ave.

Realtors will do anything tacky to promote an area.

Old 05-07-2015, 05:42 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
It's some really obscure marketing scheme to promote the area, I'm a guy who lives in Vancouver and is very into urban development and design and I follow development and real estate in Vancouver. I've almost never heard that term, if you go up to 100 people on the street and ask them what it means, chances are all 100 will have never heard the term before. Basically, it's just a bunch of BS to sell units, same old same old.
Marketers are famous for inventing terms for areas, British Properties comes to mind. Golden Mile is kind of hilarious...shouldn't it at least be Golden Kilometre?

Anyway I don't like the term for Vancouver, A - because it's borrowed from somewhere else and not original. B- because there's nothing more " golden " about that part of downtown than most others.

I also wince when I hear the name Trump.

Old 05-08-2015, 01:33 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
I never heard of it before this either.

Quote:
Me too.

Old 05-08-2015, 03:14 AM

2,535 posts, read 3,278,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Marketers are famous for inventing terms for areas, British Properties comes to mind. Golden Mile is kind of hilarious...shouldn't it at least be Golden Kilometre?

Anyway I don't like the term for Vancouver, A - because it's borrowed from somewhere else and not original. B- because there's nothing more " golden " about that part of downtown than most others.

LOL Mile is too American for you . Would you rather a French sounding on borrowed from Québec .
What would be more Canadian original anyway?

Actually I merely clicked on new thread post and saw "golden mile". Why I checked out the thread.

As for Mr. Trump? He likes to put his name on things ... literally. Got to give him credit for his Hotels, and choosing Vancouver for one. He literally had his name splashed on his super-tall skyscraper Hotel in Chicago last year over a decade after built . Even the Mayor there said was Tacky.

Streetview before it was finished. https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8876...kP6w!2e0?hl=en

But again..... Trump is apparently is too American.

Old 05-08-2015, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
LOL Mile is too American for you . Would you rather a French sounding on borrowed from Québec .

Actually I merely clicked on new thread post and saw "golden mile". Why I checked out the thread.

As for Mr. Trump? He likes to put his name on things ... literally. Got to give him credit for his Hotels, and choosing Vancouver for one. He literally had his name splashed on his super-tall skyscraper Hotel in Chicago last year over a decade after built . Even the Mayor there said was Tacky.

Streetview before it was finished. https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8876...kP6w!2e0?hl=en

No, miles is not too American, but Canada is a metric country. Our road signs are in K's for example.

Would " The Golden Kilometre " stand out as a bit odd in the US? Probably, people would notice it wasn't the norm.

It doesn't have to be uber Canadian, but uber original would of been nice.

I know all about Trump. Hard to have respect for someone who supported the " birthers " .

Old 05-08-2015, 12:39 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
They could call it the Golden Klick.

Of course then that would get changed to the Golden Clique - but that might be more appropriate for the area anyway. LOL.

Old 05-09-2015, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
They could call it the Golden Klick.

Of course then that would get changed to the Golden Clique - but that might be more appropriate for the area anyway. LOL.

Klick has a nice sound to it.

Old 05-10-2015, 04:38 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,520,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post

As a matter of fact, Trump didn't build this building or invest in the hotel. He's a media personality with a big name, and it's that very name that makes many of us cringe that was his sole product in this instance. The developer in this instance paid Mr. Trump a great sum of money to be able to use his name and brand for this building. He was simply paid by the real developers for the right to use the name "Trump" and otherwise had nothing to do with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver