Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2016, 12:41 PM

1 posts, read 515 times

Advertisements

Hello, I just moved to Vancouver 3 weeks ago, I was looking for apartments and found that here things are quite competitive to say the least I lost two apartments I liked because they were gone after a day from the viewing, in the end I got an apartment, the owner seemed ok at first but then he started being very dodgy: he wouldn't accept a cheque as deposit so we negotiated for at least a bank draft (which is almost like cash but at least I get it on record through the bank that I paid a deposit), in the contract his name is never mentioned and I only know his first name and I can't understand his last name from the signature, he didn't let me keep a copy of the contract but he allowed me to take a photo of it (ok this was really stupid of me to not fight this), after I paid the deposit he started not answering anymore, it was incredibly difficult to get a hold of him and even moving in was very hard because I could never find him but eventually I did, when I managed to talk to him he wanted me to give him the first month of rent in the street and he would give me the keys because he was really busy, when I said no he got really angry but then eventually agreed to meet in the apartment, where he finally got me the keys. Now the only form of payment he will accept is through "interac" which I am not familiar with, I asked my bank and they said it's a secure form of payment, however all I need to know is an email, so I don't really know who I am paying really... anyway I have been in the apartment for almost a week and so far so good (besides many things broken but I should have been more careful during the viewing). Now the landlord is absolutely unresponsive, he won't answers text, calls, nothing, but what worries me is that this whole thing is very dodgy... what's the worst which can happen? is it possible that for example he gives me some other email where to pay and he makes me pay some other account and then claim that I never pay the rent? is there a way to find if he is the actual owner? needless to say, I am out of there in 6 months when the contract ends but in the meantime I am a bit worried, next time I will be a whole lot more careful when moving into some apartment. Hope to get some suggestions/opinions, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver