Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 11:00 PM

525 posts, read 453,695 times

Advertisements

Hi, all! I'm moving to Vancouver this fall to study at UBC, and I have a few questions about moving to/living in Vancouver.

1. How do you go about finding a place to rent? I'm trying to stay as close to campus as possible. I've never rented before, and I know the housing market in Vancouver is crazy. I've been looking for apartments, but all the leases seem to start in the spring/early summer. I'm coming to Canada on a visa, so I can't arrive in Vancouver any earlier than August. Maybe I should start looking a little later?

2. Where do you go shopping for food and personal care? I'm from a small town, so Wal-Mart has always been my go-to, but Vancouver's Wal-Marts are so far away by bus, and I won't have a car.

3. I will definitely avoid DTES at night, but is it safe during the day? I'd like to volunteer there if I ever have enough free time and am not too overwhelmed by classes/research/teaching, but personal safety is a concern. If it's not safe there even during the day, I'd love to hear about other good volunteer opportunities in Vancouver!

4. I know it rains VERY frequently in Vancouver, except during the summer, but how heavy is it? A drizzle, a downpour, or somewhere in-between?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2019, 10:57 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon18 View Post
Hi, all! I'm moving to Vancouver this fall to study at UBC, and I have a few questions about moving to/living in Vancouver.

1. How do you go about finding a place to rent? I'm trying to stay as close to campus as possible. I've never rented before, and I know the housing market in Vancouver is crazy. I've been looking for apartments, but all the leases seem to start in the spring/early summer. I'm coming to Canada on a visa, so I can't arrive in Vancouver any earlier than August. Maybe I should start looking a little later?

2. Where do you go shopping for food and personal care? I'm from a small town, so Wal-Mart has always been my go-to, but Vancouver's Wal-Marts are so far away by bus, and I won't have a car.

3. I will definitely avoid DTES at night, but is it safe during the day? I'd like to volunteer there if I ever have enough free time and am not too overwhelmed by classes/research/teaching, but personal safety is a concern. If it's not safe there even during the day, I'd love to hear about other good volunteer opportunities in Vancouver!

4. I know it rains VERY frequently in Vancouver, except during the summer, but how heavy is it? A drizzle, a downpour, or somewhere in-between?

Thank you!
I remember you

1) Housing. UBC offers help in that area. Page down to "Rental On-Campus – Open to General Public (Market Price Rents) and Off-Campus Rentals – General Public.

Renting a Home - UBC Human Resources

Start with that.

2) You won't have any trouble finding good grocery stores. Save on Foods is popular. In fact they have one on campus in Wesbrook Village. A residential retail community.

Wesbrook - Shops + Residences on the West Side

Other popular grocery stores, are IGA, Nester's, Urban Fare, No Frills ( less fancy and cheaper ). Depending on where you end up living of course.

London Drugs. So much more than just a drug store, is loved by Vancouverites. It stands by what they sell, and has great selections on many items. You can check them out here.

https://www.londondrugs.coms

Shoppers Drug Mart is also good. We just call them " Shoppers ". It is usually a bit more expensive than London Drugs and doesn't have the same selection IMO.

3) DTES. Yes it's safe, but very unpleasant. If you are with people who know the area, then go for it. It is really a sad sight. Contact Welcome - Downtown Eastside Women's Centre , a women's centre. They need volunteers and may also be able to guide you into what you are looking for.

4) Rain It can be a downpour and drizzle or light rain. If I were to guess, I'd say it's mostly light rain. In winter with the shorter days, it can seem to go on forever, but Vancouver doesn't stop. You learn to live with it. It's really not as bad as some make it seem. There are many sunny days in winter as well. Buy a good pair of waterproof shoes and an good umbrella. You will be fine.

This rock is at Kitsilano Beach. Wise words.

Old 03-22-2019, 11:43 AM

Wow, thank you so much; that’s really helpful!

It’s good to know the city seems to embrace (or at least tolerate) the rain; where I live everyone just hides from it.

It’s going to feel pretty weird not having a wal-mart nearby, but I’m glad to hear people do just fine without it.

The one time I visited Vancouver I accidentally stumbled into DTES at night. I was definitely on edge, but no one bothered me. That said, it was sad to see such a depressed neighborhood in an otherwise wonderful city in a lovely country. I’d love to do what I can to help out over there; it’s the least I can do for the city/country that’s taking me in and giving me the chance at a new life. I’ll definitely look into that women’s centre!

Old 03-22-2019, 01:27 PM

676 posts, read 646,949 times
Renting - If living on campus doesn't work out (it's the most ideal scenario) try Craigslist, padmapper, rentfaster etc. Try to live on Broadway, King Edward, 41st or 49th (but west of Langara college, or you won't ever get on a bus) so that you only have to take one fairly frequent bus directly into campus.

Wal-mart - Just don't bother with it. It's moreso for the suburbs. Get the optimum app and shop at shoppers, the sales are quite decent. London Drugs isn't bad. Save-on-Foods for groceries. Or just get Amazon Prime and buy supplies from there shipped to your door, the merchandise itself is usually cheaper than any store that will cover the membership cost.

DTES - Nothing to avoid per se and generally quite safe, but why would you go on your own randomly? There isn't much there, the one decent pub there is the alibi room and it's sort of outside of the DTES. If volunteering at a soup kitchen etc. there are a few opportunities but I would get in touch with the organizations first and set up an arranged time for you to come rather than just wandering in.

Rain - Invest in rainboots (Blundstones or Hunters) and a raincoat with a hood - preferably a medium weight one that you can layer under for warmth, good brands are MEC, Marmot, North Face, Arcteryx. To true Vancouverites it's not the weather but the equipment you have to deal with it.

Old 03-22-2019, 02:07 PM

Thanks for the reply!

I don’t plan on going to DTES for leisure, shopping, etc.; I’d just like to volunteer whenever I can. And yeah, I’m definitely going to contact the organizations before heading over to volunteer; I’m not THAT naive haha!

Old 03-22-2019, 03:27 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Quote:
Thanks for the reply!

I don’t plan on going to DTES for leisure, shopping, etc.; I’d just like to volunteer whenever I can. And yeah, I’m definitely going to contact the organizations before heading over to volunteer; I’m not THAT naive haha!
Let us know how your rental search goes or if you have any other questions.

Old 03-22-2019, 07:08 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
Quote:
Thanks for the reply!

There are dozens of organizations that you can do all manner of part time volunteer work with (see below), and I think it's great of you that you want to be a volunteer. If you will be applying for permanent residency / citizenship in the future it will look good for you to have gotten some volunteer work under your belt while you are a student at UBC.

But speaking as another woman who has worked with the people in the DTES, and being familiar with many of your posts, your values and ideals that you've expressed over time, the kind of small American town and the religious culture you come from ...... and no offense intended but you are a bit of a sweet, naïve Polyanna who doesn't really understand what the DTES is really all about ..... I think it's a big misguided mistake for you to want to dive right into the deep, dark, dirty, depressing, desperate, often very dangerous end of the pool by volunteering in the DTES for which you are rather too young and inexperienced and not prepared or qualified yet to deal with its society, and where your personal motives will be questioned and possibly regarded with deep suspicion and resentment by the very people you want to help.

I'm going to suggest the same thing that most volunteer organizations will also suggest before they will be willing to let you register with them as a volunteer (you DO have to register) .... that first you will need to look at all avenues of volunteer work that the city is looking for and that you already qualify and are suited for or that are easy to learn, and start off slow with jobs that don't require you to go through a lot of legal red tape and medical requirements to qualify as a volunteer. After you have become more accustomed to the whole city and its other neighbourhoods and society, and with doing a variety of good volunteer work in other 'softer' areas of Vancouver society, and have proper medical coverage for all the additional innoculations and medical tests that will be required for volunteering in DTES, then you will be more hardened off socially/legally/medically and better prepared to consider the DTES later if you're still of a mind to do so.

Check out some of the many volunteer positions that there is a demand for, many of which you will undoubtedly be more suited for to start off with. Get some hardening experience under your belt before you try to confront the DTES as a volunteer.

Pretty please. It's for your own preparedness, protection and peace of mind.

City of Vancouver: https://vancouver.ca/people-programs/volunteering.aspx

More: https://www.google.ca/search?source=...30.KbG-PmLL3EE

Old 03-22-2019, 08:26 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,520,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
There are dozens of organizations that you can do all manner of part time volunteer work with (see below), and I think it's great of you that you want to be a volunteer. If you will be applying for permanent residency / citizenship in the future it will look good for you to have gotten some volunteer work under your belt while you are a student at UBC.

But speaking as another woman who has worked with the people in the DTES, and being familiar with many of your posts, your values and ideals that you've expressed over time, the kind of small American town and the religious culture you come from ...... and no offense intended but you are a bit of a sweet, naïve Polyanna who doesn't really understand what the DTES is really all about ..... I think it's a big misguided mistake for you to want to dive right into the deep, dark, dirty, depressing, desperate, often very dangerous end of the pool by volunteering in the DTES for which you are rather too young and inexperienced and not prepared or qualified yet to deal with its society, and where your personal motives will be questioned and possibly regarded with deep suspicion and resentment by the very people you want to help.

I'm going to suggest the same thing that most volunteer organizations will also suggest before they will be willing to let you register with them as a volunteer (you DO have to register) .... that first you will need to look at all avenues of volunteer work that the city is looking for and that you already qualify and are suited for or that are easy to learn, and start off slow with jobs that don't require you to go through a lot of legal red tape and medical requirements to qualify as a volunteer. After you have become more accustomed to the whole city and its other neighbourhoods and society, and with doing a variety of good volunteer work in other 'softer' areas of Vancouver society, and have proper medical coverage for all the additional innoculations and medical tests that will be required for volunteering in DTES, then you will be more hardened off socially/legally/medically and better prepared to consider the DTES later if you're still of a mind to do so.

Check out some of the many volunteer positions that there is a demand for, many of which you will undoubtedly be more suited for to start off with. Get some hardening experience under your belt before you try to confront the DTES as a volunteer.

Pretty please. It's for your own preparedness, protection and peace of mind.

City of Vancouver: https://vancouver.ca/people-programs/volunteering.aspx

More: https://www.google.ca/search?source=...30.KbG-PmLL3EE

This. And you will end up exposed to and start getting a sense of the types of people who live in the DTES over time if you work with the public in Vancouver in some other capacity and perhaps end up better informed. I've worked with vulnerable populations in Vancouver as a medical professional and have friends who volunteered in the DTES. She's right, it's better suited to worldly people who understand the lives of the people they are working with. That isn't to say that you shouldn't help or give back to the city! But you're probably not ready to work with that particular, very vulnerable population quite yet and may be able to contribute better elsewhere.

If you don't agree, or the time does come down the degree, I would recommend this group as a pretty goo one:
http://beautynight.org/

Old 03-22-2019, 10:06 PM

Thanks, guys; I really appreciate your honesty and concern for me, and while what you said may not be what I wanted to hear, it’s probably what I needed to hear.

I checked out those links and it seems like there are plenty of opportunities to get involved elsewhere.

Old 03-22-2019, 11:34 PM

7,306 posts, read 9,314,019 times
I think you're awesome
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver