Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2019, 04:28 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times

Advertisements

Nat - That lake is sasquatch, bear, cougar and wolf territory !! LOL. That might scare the bejeebers out of anyone who's more partial to urban settings and crowds of people around.

Fusion, I was thinking of places and attractions like at Steveston, White Rock, Harrison Hot Springs, or the scenic circle tour of vinyards and Farmer's Markets and Crafts Fairs throughout the Fraser Valley, the Horizon restaurant and view at Burnaby Park on top of Burnaby Mountain, Van Dusen Gardens, or the restaurant and MacBlo glass conservatory full of tropical birds and plants and the quarry gardens on top of Queen Elizabeth Park, the Capilano Suspension Bridge Park, the stunning Grouse Mountain Skyride, the breath taking drive out to Squamish and Whistler, or up the Fraser Canyon to wild sage and cowboy country - and of course a ferry trip over to Vancouver Island and Victoria and a tour of parts of the Island is mandatory.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2019, 04:50 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Nat - That lake is sasquatch, bear, cougar and wolf territory !! LOL. That might scare the bejeebers out of anyone who's more partial to urban settings and crowds of people around.

Fusion, I was thinking of places and attractions like at Steveston, White Rock, Harrison Hot Springs, or the scenic circle tour of vinyards and Farmer's Markets and Crafts Fairs throughout the Fraser Valley, the Horizon restaurant and view at Burnaby Park on top of Burnaby Mountain, Van Dusen Gardens, or the restaurant and MacBlo glass conservatory full of tropical birds and plants and the quarry gardens on top of Queen Elizabeth Park, the Capilano Suspension Bridge Park, the stunning Grouse Mountain Skyride, the breath taking drive out to Squamish and Whistler, or up the Fraser Canyon to wild sage and cowboy country - and of course a ferry trip over to Vancouver Island and Victoria and a tour of parts of the Island is mandatory.

I typically get along fine with Cougars Z so all good

Well I guess in the second paragraph you provided my checklist for future visit(s). Sounds more like a two week trip lol.. We were close to doing Capilano but just didn't have the chance. Man work gets so in the way of life

Old 08-24-2019, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Nat - That lake is sasquatch, bear, cougar and wolf territory !! LOL.
btw - if you think I didn't notice, i'm not THAT much of a city boy

https://www.ontarioparks.com/parksbl...-the-campfire/

Old 08-24-2019, 03:31 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Quote:

Everywhere is pretty much wild animal territory out here. My mother's senior's home in the burbs, not too far from you, has a sign on the doors to the gardens, to look first, since bears have been spotted.

Coyotes have roamed the West End !

However, I love it. Nothing like being able to step out my door in Yaletown, walk along the seawall, and occasionally see an eagle flying over.

Old 08-24-2019, 03:32 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post

Nature recharges me.

Old 08-29-2019, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post

Everywhere is pretty much wild animal territory out here. My mother's senior's home in the burbs, not too far from you, has a sign on the doors to the gardens, to look first, since bears have been spotted.

Coyotes have roamed the West End !

However, I love it. Nothing like being able to step out my door in Yaletown, walk along the seawall, and occasionally see an eagle flying over.
LOL, no kidding, eh! Or orcas, dolphins, seals and otters.

I'm thinking maybe your mom is just 2 or 3 blocks from my place, and we had to put a similar notice up on the bulletin boards .... and we are on a super busy cross street between Dewdney and Lougheed right in the middle of town!

We have a smoking area with more gardens with nut trees and ornamental bushes with berries and other wild edibles at the back entrance of the building and it gets visited regularly by bears, deer, raccoons, coyotes, and all manner of squirrels of course. Plus there is a society of skunks that visits the building's grounds every night like clockwork around midnight to scrounge around.

You know, all those animals know we are there, they will get quite close but they just completely ignore us and pretend we are not sitting there as long as nobody makes overt moves towards them. If somebody moves towards them or waves a hand and says "shoo" then they amble off.

I think they have become habituated and comfortable with the presence and company of humans as much as they have become accustomed to the town environment and whatever they can scrounge out of it. If there are people walking around minding their own business as usual and not all excited about anything then I think that for the animals it must mean to them that all is well and safe for them too, and they carry on with their own business as usual. Like a local community watering hole where a truce is held, everyone is alert and cautious but still all there and sharing the water.

Last edited by Zoisite; 08-29-2019 at 12:13 PM..

Old 08-29-2019, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post

Good blog, thanks for posting that.

Old 09-03-2019, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Good blog, thanks for posting that.
Yw Z.

Old 09-05-2019, 07:30 PM

10,743 posts, read 23,798,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Nature recharges me.
Likewise Nat! I can't believe I haven't been to Vancouver since 2004 because I can still visualize and remember it well. I do miss BC, it's nature on a very grand scale. A return trip to Vancouver Island is definitely on my bucket list someday. The thing about Vancouver that I best remember is rollerblading around the seawall and Stanley Park. I would come up and visit just for that reason alone back in my Seattle past life. I think I remember the flow of things going counter clockwise around the park, which might be why fusion got some snarks if he was going the other way.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 09-05-2019 at 07:50 PM..

Old 09-05-2019, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
Likewise Nat! I can't believe I haven't been to Vancouver since 2004 because I can still visualize and remember it well. I do miss BC, it's nature on a very grand scale. A return trip to Vancouver Island is definitely on my bucket list someday. The thing about Vancouver that I best remember is rollerblading around the seawall and Stanley Park. I would come up and visit back just for that reason alone back in my Seattle past life. I think I remember the flow of things going counter clockwise around the park, which might be why fusion got some snarks if he was going the other way.
I always enjoy going the other way so all good
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver