Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2019, 10:15 PM

91 posts, read 138,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Steveston was a historically important village and fishing port / sea port with a big commercial cannery in the past and it used to be quaint right up until about 30 years ago. But in recent decades it has become increasingly more congested and is now subsumed by the city of Richmond. Now it is no longer what it used to be, it is what I call wall to wall houses and urban sprawl with lots of vehicular traffic and not much of a comfortable community feel to it, if any.

At the location of the original village there is a very small touristy shopping district along the main street and a marina and wharf there with a few nice (but pricey) restaurants. You can go down to the wharf to buy fresh caught seafoods straight off the fish boats and there is an open grassy park with beaches near by. There are a few large farms just to the east of Steveston village, and there is a wonderful huge farmer's market place near the Massey Tunnel but otherwise all the other farmlands that used to surround Steveston are gone now and been developed into residential neighbourhoods. There are walking/cycling paths (called dykes) overlooking the shorelines from the south side of the island that continue all the way west and around the island to the north side of the island.

But it has becomes so encroached upon and swallowed up by the rest of Richmond's growing residential neighbourhoods you can't tell now where the city of Richmond ends and the village of Steveston begins. I don't think it would fit any of the criteria you stated you were looking for as it has just become one small neighbourhood of yet another big city that continues to become more and more congested and impersonal with each passing year. It's as if The Borg came and assimilated it. Makes me sad.

But those are just my personal feelings about it - I'm admittedly biased against big city environments and sprawling congestion which makes me ill and dispirited, (which is why I live in Maple Ridge on the north side of the river where I can have the best of both worlds) so I think you would have to actually see Steveston for yourself to determine whether or not it was suitable for you.

Edited to add: I don't ever recommend Richmond or any other part of Lulu island to anyone since I personally feel it's not a safe long term bet. The island is all completely flat with elevation right at sea level and having being created and built up from silt from the river it is not solid ground with a lot of rocks, it is all rich soft soil. The big problem is that entire island is subject to liquefaction and sinking completely below sea level if there is ever a big earthquake or tsunami. It was perfect as unbeatable farmland before it became more developed. Since it has been getting developed with so many buildings and infrastructure so much over the past few decades the island is beginning to sink a bit already just from all the additional weight and shaking activity caused by development and human vehicular movement. I think that one really stiff rock'n'roll shaker will liquefy the silt that the island is composed of and if that happens the whole island will sink out of sight within a couple of hours. That is what big earthquakes do to silty delta islands.

Thank you for this amazing information. A friend of mine used to live in Vancouver many many years ago, and was the one who suggested Steveston. I'm sure it's very much changed since then, and when I looked it up online, the fact that "Richmond" came up concerned me because I have zero interest in living in Richmond. I appreciate the information, sounds like it's not the place for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2019, 02:29 AM

14,642 posts, read 14,734,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjdboulder View Post
..... commute is not an issue. However, proximity to airport is, so need somewhere that it's not more than an hour drive to an international airport. ...... Does this unicorn place exist within short driving distance of Vancouver or the airport?

Just a personal comment here. Your insistence on being within an hour's proximity to an international airport doesn't make any sense at all. When you posted about looking for places on Vancouver Island you stressed at that time also that it was important to live close to an airport. I could understand it if you were needing to access an airport every day but not if you only need to use air travel on occasional times throughout the year or even once or twice a month for that matter. By limiting yourself to being only an hour instead of even two hours away from an international airport you are depriving yourself of so many, many more potential places where you could have that unicorn community and perfect home that you're seeking.

It seems to me that the driving time from the Vancouver airport is a huge barrier that you are erecting and which prevents you from choosing, enjoying and feeling at home and fitting in in a perfect place a little further away where you would find it more desirable to live. Your home and community, not an airport, is going to be the place where you live your day to day life and where your child goes to school every day, and it's going to be just as easy to drive to an airport from 90 - 120 minutes away as it would be from 60 minutes away if you are driving there. Even less time if you use the services of a smaller local airport that connects to the Vancouver International Airport. I understand that time is precious but surely an extra hour on occasion can't be so precious that it would cause you to restrict and deprive yourself of so many more potential places to choose from.

I'm not asking for an explanation, just letting you know that your demand is confusing and limiting and actually seems a little suspicious without an explanation ..... and just in case you were under the impression that there is only one airport or air services in the lower mainland (there isn't) to give you this link that lists ALL the airports and/or air services that are in the Greater Vancouver and Fraser Valley districts: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...Lower_Mainland

Last edited by Zoisite; 10-04-2019 at 03:57 AM..

Old 10-15-2019, 09:55 PM

91 posts, read 138,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Just a personal comment here. Your insistence on being within an hour's proximity to an international airport doesn't make any sense at all. When you posted about looking for places on Vancouver Island you stressed at that time also that it was important to live close to an airport. I could understand it if you were needing to access an airport every day but not if you only need to use air travel on occasional times throughout the year or even once or twice a month for that matter. By limiting yourself to being only an hour instead of even two hours away from an international airport you are depriving yourself of so many, many more potential places where you could have that unicorn community and perfect home that you're seeking.

It seems to me that the driving time from the Vancouver airport is a huge barrier that you are erecting and which prevents you from choosing, enjoying and feeling at home and fitting in in a perfect place a little further away where you would find it more desirable to live. Your home and community, not an airport, is going to be the place where you live your day to day life and where your child goes to school every day, and it's going to be just as easy to drive to an airport from 90 - 120 minutes away as it would be from 60 minutes away if you are driving there. Even less time if you use the services of a smaller local airport that connects to the Vancouver International Airport. I understand that time is precious but surely an extra hour on occasion can't be so precious that it would cause you to restrict and deprive yourself of so many more potential places to choose from.

I'm not asking for an explanation, just letting you know that your demand is confusing and limiting and actually seems a little suspicious without an explanation ..... and just in case you were under the impression that there is only one airport or air services in the lower mainland (there isn't) to give you this link that lists ALL the airports and/or air services that are in the Greater Vancouver and Fraser Valley districts: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...Lower_Mainland

You make a good point. My desire to be near an airport is due to my job. I travel a lot (sometimes once a week), so being able to get to an airport easily is important. I just put "an hour" out there as a guide, but if I found the perfect place to live I would drive further.

Old 10-20-2019, 12:30 PM

5,457 posts, read 3,333,186 times
Recommend White Rock (93K pop) although it might be larger than your ideal. 50 minutes to the City of Vancouver, distance to Vancouver Intl Airport is 38 minutes. ~10 Art Galleries.This town has it's own beach. As I remember it the wharf was a big attraction. Click on this link Resort town.

It's popular with Vancouverites.

Stevenston is a fishing village. Small. Marinas. Tourist attractions. Quaint and within city of Richmond, B.C. Distance to airport about 20 min. Check out real estate for an idea at this site.

Old 01-18-2020, 02:32 PM

1 posts, read 717 times
Hi there!

I saw your post here:

And was curious if you came to a decision about where you will move (or have you already moved?).

Im planning on renting my house out in Port Moody in the future. Its on a beautiful quiet street, 4500 square feet. It is in one of the most desireable neighborhood in the suburbs and is a beautiful home. It is one of the cities in the Tri-City area, which is composed of Coquitlam, Port Moody, and Port Coquitlam. The desirable neighborhoods up in the hills are Westwood Plateau, and Heritage Mountain (this is where the house is located). It hits all of your criteria. It is very safe there is plenty of schools and amenities near by.

Anyways, just thought I would mention it in case you were interested in learning more. If so, I can send you the address you can take a look at it on Google Maps.

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjdboulder View Post
Hi! Our family is moving to the Vancouver and surrounding area, and I'm getting overwhelmed by the choices of places to move to, I need help!

We are a family with one 8 year old, a cat and a large dog, so we'll need a yard. Both my husband and I work from home, so commute is not an issue. However, proximity to airport is, so need somewhere that it's not more than an hour drive to an international airport. We'll probably rent at first, at least initially to see what we like before we commit to buying anything.

I'm looking for something quite specific, so hoping you all can help? Is there a town or suburb in and around the Vancouver area that has a quaint little main street (older/historic or even touristy with coffee shops, galleries, restaurants, parks, etc.), close to needed amenities like grocery stores and other requirements like that, good schools, and just generally more suburban than urban? Somewhere that feels like a community where you get to know your neighbours, kids play on the street and it's generally safe? Festivals, art walks, events for the community, things like that?

AND, not too far from a ski hill would be ideal

Does this unicorn place exist within short driving distance of Vancouver or the airport?

Thanks for your help!

Old 07-19-2020, 05:38 PM

122 posts, read 187,563 times
Edgemont Village in North Vancouver would be perfect - especially since it's practically adjacent to one ski hill and a short drive to a couple of others. The same holds for Dundarave in West Vancouver. Fort Langley is fantastic as others have mentioned (and more affordable) - though a bit far from the airport. You will find Main Street vibes (coffee shops, amenities, etc) in Port Moody, Ladner, Cloverdale, and of course Steveston. You might also consider Bowen Island since daily commuting is not an issue.

Old 12-08-2020, 08:58 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,344,487 times
Default the North Shore is often overlooked

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackLonsdale View Post
Edgemont Village in North Vancouver would be perfect - especially since it's practically adjacent to one ski hill and a short drive to a couple of others. The same holds for Dundarave in West Vancouver. Fort Langley is fantastic as others have mentioned (and more affordable) - though a bit far from the airport. You will find Main Street vibes (coffee shops, amenities, etc) in Port Moody, Ladner, Cloverdale, and of course Steveston. You might also consider Bowen Island since daily commuting is not an issue.
Due to Seabus and transit, we can be at Vancouver Int. airport in no time at all. I'm onboard with the north shore, lots of dog walk and hiking room, the Grouse grind and ski hill, and even Dunderave if you get lucky and can find a place. One guy I knew ran an ad in the local paper: West Vancouver is like White Rock: a built in community mindset that's surprisingly welcoming, compared to places like Kitsilano or Kerrisdale, Van.

Ft. Langley is also great right in the old section of town, but I suspect hard to find a rental there. No real inventory. Probably the same for Steveston, and White Rock. My old "cottage" in White Rock a block from the beach was paid off for less than a new car, and is now TWO MILLION. Less than a mile away are 10-20 million dollar homes. A little further: 30 million.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver