Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2020, 07:25 AM

4 posts, read 2,784 times

Advertisements

Dear Forum Members,

Need recommendations for the potential areas in the Greater Vancouver area for the best combination of rental and schools(kid going grade 7 next term). Can pay rent up to $2300 but preferably around $2000 is what will be ideal.

About us?
We are a family of three and in preparation to relocate from Burlington(Greater Toronto) to the Greater Vancouver area in the next two months(summertime). I got my new IT job in Coquitlam(next to Trans Canada Highway 1) while my son is planned to start grade 7. We have been spoiled by living in either townhouse or, house. Given the family is expected to grow, we do not want to explore anything less than the townhouse size. Most importantly the school and community atmosphere is what we are worried about. Looking for something like Burlington in Greater Vancouver that has competitive public schools and community/connectivity. The current school that my son goes is 9/10 in Fraser but really that has been helping him a lot overall.

Please advise on city/areas so that we can get the public school(Grade 7) and rental townhouse researched accordingly.

Thank you very much for your help and looking forward to adding value to the Greater Vancouver community!

Regards,
Mahima
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2020, 03:15 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,033,548 times
Congratulations and welcome to BC! You are in big luck if your new job will be in the City of Coquitlam instead of closer in to the City of Vancouver. I think you will be able to find all of your stated criteria right in the Coquitlam City area, so you shouldn't need to look elsewhere in any of the other surrounding cities within the Greater Vancouver Regional District.

To help you narrow down prospective locations in the Coquitlam's tri-cities areas take a look at the website below. It has an interactive map and information about the demographics of all 23 neighbourhoods in Coquitlam, the schools, real estate, community, etc. Coquitlam is a nice city that is growing and evolving rapidly with lots of new infrastructure and neighbourhood developments happening. There are several nice parks, lots of places to shop, plenty of other essential amenities, the schools and community centers and overall community atmosphere and organized events is excellent. Your son will go to whichever public school it is that is closest to your home in whatever neighbourhood you choose to take up residence, unless you make other school arrangements in advance - take a look at the Coquitlam catchment map for further information about that. You can find out about that and much more here, check it out:

https://www.merylhamdillah.com/neigh...ourhood-guide/

Old 04-27-2020, 03:57 PM

676 posts, read 648,242 times
If your office or your son's school is nearby check out Port Moody, it's a nice little community and perhaps more peaceful/charming than Coquitlam proper.

Old 04-27-2020, 04:02 PM

Thank you, we will keep a close eye on Port Moody. Any good middle schools in that area that you could recommend please?

Regards,
Mahima

Old 04-28-2020, 05:51 PM

676 posts, read 648,242 times
Not familiar with the schools in that area but the Fraser Institute (with a big grain of salt) is a good starting point in researching school rankings in BC. https://www.compareschoolrankings.org/

Old 04-28-2020, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svelten View Post
Not familiar with the schools in that area but the Fraser Institute (with a big grain of salt) is a good starting point in researching school rankings in BC. https://www.compareschoolrankings.org/
Thank you. We had already checked and it doesn't offer ranking for middle schools. That's why I asked the question.

Old 04-29-2020, 04:32 PM

18 posts, read 23,919 times
Are you driving or taking transit? If the former then I would try to be east from your job - just like in Toronto the closer you are to the city the more you pay because you'll be competing with people who want to go downtown every day.

Port Moody is on the Skytrain line too, which makes it more attractive to commuters.

If you're driving I would look to PoCo or Pitt Meadows (cheaper, less dense), if you want access to good public transit and a more then I would try to be in Coquitlam proper. I think it would feel like a lot of the closer Toronto suburbs, with a new Skytrain extension and lots of new developments.

Your budget will be fine for 3 people pretty much anywhere in the area outside of the city of Vancouver proper

Old 04-29-2020, 05:53 PM

Thank you for the valuable inputs. We will continue the searching of rental townhouse or condo based on this.

Regards,
Mahima
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver