Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2020, 06:52 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,392,932 times

Advertisements

There are not many in other cities in Canada but there is seems to be way way fewer in Vancouver. How does the large Asian community view these minorities? Is there a particular part of town where these very small minorites live in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2020, 08:39 AM

The Latin American and Black population is higher than I thought. According to wikipedia Latin Americans make up 1.4% and Blacks 1.2......Still lower than most places in Canada. But much higher than I thought.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demogr...etro_Vancouver

Old 10-06-2020, 10:37 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,006,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
There are not many in other cities in Canada but there is seems to be way way fewer in Vancouver. How does the large Asian community view these minorities? Is there a particular part of town where these very small minorites live in?
With regard to how the Asians view the minorities, they likely don't view them any differently than other people view Asians, the reason being that there are no visible majorities and everyone of all ethnicities basically all blends together. You may not have noticed in the the wiki article where it says there are no visible majorities, but it is true: "In the city of Vancouver and four adjacent municipalities (Surrey, Burnaby, Richmond, and Coquitlam), there is no visible majority. Hence, the term visible minority is used here in contrast to the overall Canadian population which remains predominantly of European descent."

Once you get outside of those five cities and further out into the other surrounding cities you start to see more visible majorities.

To the best of my knowledge, excluding the native reserves scattered about, there are no longer any particular parts of any of the 23 cities in the Greater Vancouver Regional District or in the other cities in the rest of the BC lower mainland/Fraser Valley where small minorities live in ethnic enclaves. There used to be enclaves, but that was 30 years ago and more, and demographics have really changed a lot since then. I don't see separateness or division by ethnicity in different neighbourhoods but of course in some places there is separateness and division between the classes within all ethnicities, i.e. between the wealthy upper crust and the un-wealthy lower crust regardless of ethnicity.

Old 10-06-2020, 12:30 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,533,632 times
Quote:
The Latin American and Black population is higher than I thought. According to wikipedia Latin Americans make up 1.4% and Blacks 1.2......Still lower than most places in Canada. But much higher than I thought.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demogr...etro_Vancouver
We don't use the term hispanics here. We usually say just where they are from. Mexico, or if being a bit general, Latin America.

No specials enclaves for either though. That said, there are festivals that both groups have, and in my neighbourhood, we even have a Day of the Dead festival.

https://mexicofest.ca

There is no black festival per se, but a Caribbean Festival.

https://www.caribbeandays.ca

There are more authentic Mexican restaurants opening up, thank god

Now as to why there aren't more?

Both populations are growing, but my guess is that new immigrants tend to flock together, so many go to Toronto. Not to say some don't come directly here. I know a guy from Ghana who chose Vancouver.
I guess the best people to explain why they choose one place over another is a person from that group. I can only read what they have to say. This article explains it well I think.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...tity-1.3434896

Old 10-06-2020, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
With regard to how the Asians view the minorities, they likely don't view them any differently than other people view Asians, the reason being that there are no visible majorities and everyone of all ethnicities basically all blends together. You may not have noticed in the the wiki article where it says there are no visible majorities, but it is true: "In the city of Vancouver and four adjacent municipalities (Surrey, Burnaby, Richmond, and Coquitlam), there is no visible majority. Hence, the term visible minority is used here in contrast to the overall Canadian population which remains predominantly of European descent."

Once you get outside of those five cities and further out into the other surrounding cities you start to see more visible majorities.

To the best of my knowledge, excluding the native reserves scattered about, there are no longer any particular parts of any of the 23 cities in the Greater Vancouver Regional District or in the other cities in the rest of the BC lower mainland/Fraser Valley where small minorities live in ethnic enclaves. There used to be enclaves, but that was 30 years ago and more, and demographics have really changed a lot since then. I don't see separateness or division by ethnicity in different neighbourhoods but of course in some places there is separateness and division between the classes within all ethnicities, i.e. between the wealthy upper crust and the un-wealthy lower crust regardless of ethnicity.

While there are no enclaves for blacks or people from Mexico or Latin America, I would say that Richmond has a large Chinese population, and Surrey a large East Indian population. I guess those are the majorities you are talking about?

I agree, that the divisions of neighbourhoods has to do with wealth. Just looking at my neighbourhood, it's a mix of everyone. No one group dominates.

Heck on my floor my neighbours are Iranian, Filipino, Chinese, Canadian born white, Caribbean born black, and Serbian. In my building even more people from everywhere.

Last edited by Natnasci; 10-06-2020 at 12:50 PM..

Old 10-07-2020, 10:20 AM

93,157 posts, read 123,754,884 times
Proximity...Think about from which direction said groups are coming from into the country.

Old 10-07-2020, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Proximity...Think about from which direction said groups are coming from into the country.
Most immigrants arrive by air.

Old 10-07-2020, 12:48 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,006,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post

While there are no enclaves for blacks or people from Mexico or Latin America, I would say that Richmond has a large Chinese population, and Surrey a large East Indian population. I guess those are the majorities you are talking about?

I agree, that the divisions of neighbourhoods has to do with wealth. Just looking at my neighbourhood, it's a mix of everyone. No one group dominates.

Heck on my floor my neighbours are Iranian, Filipino, Chinese, Canadian born white, Caribbean born black, and Serbian. In my building even more people from everywhere.
Re: bolded above, yes Vancouver, Burnaby, and North Coquitlam have large Chinese populations and Richmond and Surrey have particularly large Indian and large Chinese populations, but they still don't quite out-number people of white European descent in any of those cities. There's just enough of everybody so that everybody in those locations blends, nobody stands out. Especially Vancouver. Nobody dominates, nobody stands out in a crowd.

But in speaking above of majorities of anybody I was actually thinking about the caucasian majorities who do dominate in places like West Vancouver, Horseshoe Bay and beyond going north up the coast, and to the east there's New Westminster, Port Coquitlam, Pitt Meadows, Maple Ridge, Langley, Abbotsford, Aldergrove, Chilliwack and all the smaller, more obscure towns and villages elsewhere along the river, the valley flat-lands and the foothills of the mountains further out into the bible belt all the way out to Agassiz and Hope.

Of course there are lots and lots of people of other origins and races in those parts of the lower mainland but the vast majority in all of the agricultural towns is still white Europeans and then to a much lesser degree it's Indians (mostly Sikhs), and then First Nations, and after that it is a pretty even mix of other people from everywhere else in the world. And all of the non-white people do stand out more in a crowd in those towns - they are more exotic because there are so many more white Europeans, they don't visually all blend together the way people do in Vancouver and its 4 or 5 immediately adjacent cities.

Last edited by Zoisite; 10-07-2020 at 01:09 PM..

Old 10-07-2020, 02:14 PM

According to wikipedia Chinese do outnumber all other groups in Richmond, including those of European background.

Quote:
Richmond has an immigrant population of 60%, the highest in Canada.[10] Over 50% of Richmond residents identify as Chinese, making it the city in North America with the largest proportion of Asians.[11] More than half of its population is of Asian descent, many of whom immigrated in the late 1980s, mostly from Hong Kong, Taiwan, and Mainland China. Other Asian Canadians in Richmond include Indo-Canadians, Filipino Canadians and Japanese Canadians.[12]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richmo...a#Demographics

Seems like an interesting place. I would like to visit some day. Is it a friendly place?

Old 10-07-2020, 03:07 PM

5,944 posts, read 2,869,362 times
Quote:
According to wikipedia Chinese do outnumber all other groups in Richmond, including those of European background.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richmo...a#Demographics

Seems like an interesting place. I would like to visit some day. Is it a friendly place?
Of course, They are Canadian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver