Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2021, 02:17 PM

3 posts, read 2,388 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I am moving from Montreal to Vancouver for work and wanted some recommendations for what areas are close to downtown Vancouver that are affordable. My budget for a one bedroom apartment is 1500$ per month max. I would like an area that's easily accessible to downtown by public transportation. Any recommendation would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2021, 02:52 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,016,027 times
Try this: https://www.padmapper.com/apartments/vancouver-bc/cheap

Pretty much all areas of Vancouver are easily accessible by public transportation.

Old 02-11-2021, 07:01 PM

Thank you, I'll check it out.

For the distance, I was asking because I've visited Vancouver and there are some areas that will take an hour to get from by public transportation. I'm looking for areas that are close enough to get to downtown within half 20-30 minutes tops.

Old 02-11-2021, 09:01 PM

Okay. Check out the following website, it has the map of Vancouver city only (not any of the suburb cities) showing all of the Vancouver City neighbourhoods and there are itemized listings of what each neighbourhood is like.
Vancouver Neighbourhoods

The neighbourhoods that are closer to the downtown business core are the ones that you could reasonably expect to fall within the travelling time frame you're hoping for so if you're really lucky you might find something there within your budget.

Don't be getting your hopes up high with finding something in the more westerly neighbourhoods that are closest to UBC since they are wealthy neighbourhoods and anything that might be for rent there will likely be far and away above and beyond your budget for a residence.

The neighbourhoods further out from the downtown core and closer to the Fraser River would likely take longer than half an hour on bus transit during peak rush hour times unless you're in a neighbourhood that has rapid transit train going through it. See train map: Interative Metro Map of Vancouver - JohoMaps

But those neighbourhoods that are further away to the south and east from the downtown core and don't have train going through them are the ones that happen to have the most potential for you finding a residence that is within your budget. So take into consideration that you may have no choice but to sacrifice the convenience of time saved in favour of money saved for a comfortable dwelling.

Regarding the Downtown Eastside neighbourhood (DTES) or Chinatown neighbourhood - be wary of them. Yes, they are very close to the downtown business core but they also happen to be Vancouver's skid row and homeless district and are dangerous, so read about them to find out why you should avoid them and then forget about them.

Good luck, I hope you will find something suitable/affordable in Vancouver. If you can't find a suitable residence within your budget in Vancouver City you will have to consider the surrounding suburb cities, so I'd suggest then that you look at areas that have rapid transit trains going through them.

Last edited by Zoisite; 02-11-2021 at 09:11 PM..

Old 02-11-2021, 09:24 PM

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my question in detail, it's fully appreciated :-)

I will check the map and consider my options. Have a great evening!

Old 02-11-2021, 09:35 PM

You're welcome.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver