Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 07:05 PM

39 posts, read 163,473 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm looking for more information about English Bay College Is anyone studying there?

I'm thinking to take part in their Work and Study program.

Is it really cold in Vancouver during winter?

Is it expensive there...food, transportation?

Are people friendly?

How is the crime scene out there?

Thank you in advance

Old 05-19-2009, 07:57 PM

1,048 posts, read 6,444,414 times
Hello espritan, Vancouver's winter is wet, dark and rainy - it's usually 1-7 degrees Celsius or around 35-45 Fahrenheit. Sometimes the days are warmer, but some days the days are colder, but not by much and not for long.

It's really cold if you're from Florida, Mexico, Thailand, Singapore, Hong Kong, Australia, South Africa, etc. If you're from New York, Russia, Scandinavia, Berlin, Colorado, Montreal, Chicago, etc. then it's warm.

Vancouver's not expensive if you live in London, Paris, Tokyo, San Francisco, New York, Hong Kong... it's expensive otherwise. Food? Transportation? It really depends where you're from and what you're comparing it to. Where are you from espritan?

Old 05-20-2009, 08:00 AM

175 posts, read 1,592,777 times
Yes, i strongly agree that when people ask "is XXX expensive/cold?", they should also tell where they have lived before. Is $1000 for a one bedroom expensive? Yes if you used to live in Kansas, but it will be a steal if you spent the past years in Manhattan or Hong Kong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robynator View Post
Hello espritan, Vancouver's winter is wet, dark and rainy - it's usually 1-7 degrees Celsius or around 35-45 Fahrenheit. Sometimes the days are warmer, but some days the days are colder, but not by much and not for long.

It's really cold if you're from Florida, Mexico, Thailand, Singapore, Hong Kong, Australia, South Africa, etc. If you're from New York, Russia, Scandinavia, Berlin, Colorado, Montreal, Chicago, etc. then it's warm.

Vancouver's not expensive if you live in London, Paris, Tokyo, San Francisco, New York, Hong Kong... it's expensive otherwise. Food? Transportation? It really depends where you're from and what you're comparing it to. Where are you from espritan?

Old 05-20-2009, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanusc View Post
Yes, i strongly agree that when people ask "is XXX expensive/cold?", they should also tell where they have lived before. Is $1000 for a one bedroom expensive? Yes if you used to live in Kansas, but it will be a steal if you spent the past years in Manhattan or Hong Kong.
You're right

Old 05-20-2009, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robynator View Post

Thank you for the info!!!

Honestly, I'm really surprised that the temperature isn't under 0 C in the winter

How is the crime scene out there?

And if someone knows more about English Bay College please let me know

Thank you in advance!

Old 05-22-2009, 11:52 AM

44 posts, read 144,784 times
I've never heard of English Bay College. Becareful

Old 05-22-2009, 01:22 PM

Question Ebc

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnedOnByFeet View Post
I've never heard of English Bay College. Becareful
It worries me that all I could find in the net about English Bay College is an advertising information about it...

Study English in Vancouver, Canada at English Bay College
Internship in Canada

The address is 2nd Floor, 321 Water Street, Vancouver, BC, Canada, V6B 1B8.

I can see the building in English Bay College Ltd - Vancouver, BC - (604) 639-9075 | Canpages with the flags and logos of the college.

Here is a picture:

It would be great if someone has more information about it!

BTW
as far as I could see on the map the college is close if it's not even in the Hastings East about which I read here in the forum is a very dangerous place. Is it really?! Even during the day?

Thank you in advance for the info it's really important for me!!!

Old 05-22-2009, 02:12 PM

1,048 posts, read 6,444,414 times
I've heard of English Bay College because I used to work with ESL students - it's a small ESL school in Gastown in Vancouver. You'll be fine. It's not a university or anything like that. Most ESL schools in Vancouver are small schools located in old office buildings with lots of Brazilian, Mexican, German, Swiss, Korean, Japanese, and Taiwanese students. Unless you work in the ESL industry in Vancouver, most locals are unaware of the names of the ESL schools.

By the way, East Hastings isn't dangerous - you won't get mugged there. It's not a violent place. There are just a lot of homeless people, prostitutes and drug addicts there. They might beg and ask you for money, but that neighbourhood isn't dangerous. It just looks bad.

Old 05-22-2009, 03:08 PM

1,264 posts, read 3,861,139 times
Gastown, including Water Street, is a tourist area, where the famous steam clock is located. Lots of gift shops selling souvenirs, T-shirts, postcards, smoked salmon and maple syrups.

YouTube - Gastown Steam Clock, Vancouver, Canada

When traveling away from home, in an unfamiliar country or city, apply the same commonsense and caution as you would in your own city.
For examples:
- plan travel arrangements with a group of friends
- don't walk alone in deserted areas, large parks and public gardens; go with a few friends
- travel in a small group when taking buses or skytrain at nights
and make sure your friends walk with you to the residence
- if strangers knock on your door, phone the rental manager
- don't attract attention by wearing your mom's biggest diamond ring

You'll enjoy and even come to love your stay here.

Old 05-25-2009, 09:46 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,313,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by espritan View Post
It worries me that all I could find in the net about English Bay College is an advertising information about it...

Study English in Vancouver, Canada at English Bay College
Internship in Canada

The address is 2nd Floor, 321 Water Street, Vancouver, BC, Canada, V6B 1B8.

I can see the building in English Bay College Ltd - Vancouver, BC - (604) 639-9075 | Canpages with the flags and logos of the college.

Here is a picture:

It would be great if someone has more information about it!

BTW
as far as I could see on the map the college is close if it's not even in the Hastings East about which I read here in the forum is a very dangerous place. Is it really?! Even during the day?

Thank you in advance for the info it's really important for me!!!
try to get into vancouver community college or douglas college
Douglas College
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver