Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2009, 11:12 PM

3 posts, read 25,449 times

Advertisements

hello, i am moving to Vancouver area for a job that is in Burnaby. I am not sure where in Vancouver is safe and where to stay away from. I need a place to live and trying to find a place to live but not sure where a nice, safe, friendly area is (heard Burnaby is nice but don't know for sure). So please could you name places that i could live in Vancouver and places to stay away like the sketchy places (drug dealers) and gang related places. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2009, 04:36 PM

672 posts, read 634,057 times
Vancouver is a very safe city. You will not be in trouble if you are not looking for it. Burnaby is fine.

Parts of Surrey particularly near the King George station are known for auto-theft, and Hastings & Main isn't a particularly great place to raise children due to the homeless problem.

Old 09-23-2009, 03:07 PM

2 posts, read 17,184 times
I moved out to the lower mainland from Calgary Ab in September 2006 and I feel a lot safer overall than I did there. Most of the Murders are gang related, and while the occasional innocent bystander sometimes gets injured or killed, I would not say that it is unsafe.

Since moving here, I have lived all over the place. My favorite so far would have to be North Van, but it is a big commute anywhere else if you do not drive. I also lived in downtown, East Van, and Burnaby. I just recently moved back to Vanocuver from Burnaby at the beginning of the month and I am really loving it. Burnaby is beautiful ( you can see the mountains from most places and it is a bit cheaper than Van. That being said, if you do not drive, it is also quite the commute if you want to go somewhere, like the beach.

I wish I could write a more detailed response, but I am pressed for time at the moment. In fact, I am heading downtown on the brand new ( REALLY REALLY NICE) Canada line Sky train and then to the beach as it is 28 degeees out . YAY! I will try and get back to you a bit later.

Old 09-26-2009, 10:02 AM

140 posts, read 269,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armbuck View Post
hello, i am moving to Vancouver area for a job that is in Burnaby. I am not sure where in Vancouver is safe and where to stay away from. I need a place to live and trying to find a place to live but not sure where a nice, safe, friendly area is (heard Burnaby is nice but don't know for sure). So please could you name places that i could live in Vancouver and places to stay away like the sketchy places (drug dealers) and gang related places. Thanks
Whatever you do, do not go anywhere near the area of Hastings & Main near downtown. This is probably the biggest red light district in all of North America and extends up and down Hastings for at least a half mile in either direction. There are hundreds of drug addicts and prostitutes out on the streets there. And it is sad to say, there are a lot of poor people and homeless people there. The amazing thing is that right in the center of it, there is the main police station right there on the corner of Hastings & Main. Oh & BTW, the hookers aren't good looking anymore either. Only the ones who are the undesireable are out there now. So don't even think about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver