U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2009, 09:00 AM

3 posts, read 4,796 times

Advertisements

Hey,

I'm a 23 year old female in need of lots and lots of advice. My boyfriend has just got a job as a physiotherapist in Vancouver, and I have taken the scary plunge and decided to move with him from the UK!

We are hoping to be all moved by December this year and just wanted any advice that you guys could offer.

I currently work as a researcher for a large television production company in the UK. Does anyone know what the television industry is like in Vancouver, are jobs rife or not so much? If working in Tv isn't an option, I would also consider working anywhere basically! Does anyone know whether it's hard to find a job, not being a native?

We could also do with some advice as to our living situation. There is so much information online that it's starting to boggle my brain! Where would you recommend living as a young couple? Would finding a fully furnished flat be hard to find. What is the average rental price.

I would basically just really really appreciate any help or advice that anyone can offer, I'm finding it all very scary and some friendly advice would be great!

Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2009, 12:03 PM

21 posts, read 96,550 times
A lot of TV and film production occurs in Vancouver, but I'm not familiar with the industry, so it's hard to tell whether your position of "researcher" would be in demand.

Have you figured out the steps you will need to acquire a proper work visa to work in Canada? If not, I would search the forums, as this has been discussed many times before.

Depending upon where your boyfriend will be working, you'll want to consider his commute. As a young couple, I would recommend against living in the outer suburban areas of Burnaby or Richmond, and try and stay closer to downtown. Someone who is more familiar with the area could give you specific areas that you might enjoy.

As of 2006, median rent in Vancouver was $812. (Source: citystats.ca)

Yes, you should be able to find a furnished apartment without much trouble. Use craigslist.

Old 10-16-2009, 10:50 PM

4,284 posts, read 14,880,458 times
Immigration and visa information is available at Welcome Page | Page d'accueil

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver