U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2010, 06:17 AM

355 posts, read 2,238,734 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I was looking at Victoria, BC on a map and I was wondering: if you live in Victoria, how easy/difficult is it to get to Vancouver? Would you drive up north to someplace in the straight of Georgia, and take a Ferry from there? Or would flying be the only reasonable option?

If so, is that something you would be able to do often (due to short, cheap flights)?

As I'm planning my move to Canada, I'm considering Vancouver, Victoria, or Toronto. But I'm kind of hesitant now about how isolated Victoria seems to be from any important city (unless you cross to the US, but then again, that does not seem to be a short trip either).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2010, 11:58 PM

1 posts, read 2,785 times
I grew up on Vancouver Island. It is ONE big island and has Victoria, nanaimo and a bunch of other towns. You rarely need to go to Vancouver, Victoria has most everything you need. It has an international airport, lots of shops, government buildings. Just google it and look at the size.

Now if you want to go to Vancouver you drive about 30 minutes or so from town depending where you are, put your car on a ferry, or just get on yourself and 1 hour 40 of beautiful sailing gets you to Vancouver, or at least the outskirts of Vancouver.

There are a couple of routes you can go. So go look at Victoria, Nanaimo and Vancouver and see the ferry connections, I think it is bcferries.com or something like that.

People spend years never leaving the island, as I say it si BIG>

Old 02-23-2010, 01:16 AM

9,747 posts, read 8,062,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgpg_99 View Post
Hi all,

.......... But I'm kind of hesitant now about how isolated Victoria seems to be from any important city (unless you cross to the US, but then again, that does not seem to be a short trip either).

Just curious, but what do you mean by "any important city"? What is an important city to you? BTW, Victoria is a city and the capital city at that. I think that makes it important.

Old 02-23-2010, 06:24 AM

355 posts, read 2,238,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post

Just curious, but what do you mean by "any important city"? What is an important city to you?
That's a good point. I meant larger cities, a big metropoli. For instance, if you live in upstate New York, you may be only 1 or 2 hours away from New York city. If you live in central Texas you may be close to Dallas, Austin, etc. If you live in central Florida you may be close to Miami, or Orlando, and if you live in northern Florida you are close to Atlanta.

By looking at the Victoria area on Google maps, it looked like the closest larger city, Vancouver, was not easily accessible (now I know about the ferry thanks to kallyho), and the other larger city, Seattle, was in a different country. So that got me to think whether travelling to other places from the island was kind of a pain, and whether that created a situation where you would feel isolated.

Old 02-23-2010, 06:00 PM

1,049 posts, read 6,027,994 times
If your goal is to be within close proximity of multiple major metropolises, don't move to Victoria. Move to somewhere like Boston or Philadelphia. End of story. Likewise, if somebody is seeking vast tracts of wilderness, mountain ranges, ocean beach front, temperate rainforests, islands, sheltered inlets for sea kayaking, whale watching - etc within a close half hour drive of a major city, Victoria would be a great place to base themselves out of, and not, for example, New York, Texas, or Atlanta.

Living in Victoria, however, is not an isolating experience. It's no more isolating than living in Seattle, for example. Just like Victoria, Seattle only has 2 major metropolis within close driving distance. And in all reality, this is pretty standard all along the west coast. West coast cities are typically more spread out than what you're used to in the east.

And don't underestimate the size of Vancouver Island. Vancouver Island is an island in the same way that Ireland is an island. It takes 8 hours to drive from one end of the island to the other. It's massive with plenty of regions, towns, and landscapes to explore. Vancouver Island is actually larger than some US states. If you want your big city fix, you take a ferry to Vancouver or a ferry to Seattle - both are approximately 3 hours away from Victoria. It's not difficult to get to Seattle from Victoria even though they're in different countries. As long as you have a passport, just hop on the Victoria Clipper catamaran and you're good to go. If two major cities nearby Victoria isn't enough, well then... Victoria's probably not what you're seeking. That, or you it's just something you'll have to sacrifice. It's a worthy sacrifice, however. That, or you suck it up and you just fly to major cities when the need arises.

Last edited by Robynator; 02-23-2010 at 06:12 PM..

Old 03-08-2010, 08:32 PM

31,900 posts, read 33,303,422 times
I've lived in Victoria since '91, and seldom leave the island unless it's for an extended trip...Everything I need is right here.... Here is a link to air service from down town Victoria to various destinations. I believe Victoria harbor is the busiest seaplane terminal in Canada

Flights From Victoria to Vancouver – Air Canada Jazz, Harbor Air Seaplanes

http://www.hyackair.ca/victoria-to-seattle.html (broken link)

Old 04-06-2010, 12:32 PM

2 posts, read 3,534 times
Well, I live in a little town called Sidney, (right by the Ferry) and I take day-trips to Vancouver on a regular basis (twice a month, sometimes!)
All I do, is walk to the bus stop, ride the bus for five minutes, hop on the ferry, and at the Vancouver end, I hop on the 620 Express, to Bridgeport Station. The newly built Canada Line then provides the connections to Richmond, YVR International Airport and Downtown.

Visit these websites for transit and ferry info...

www.bcferries.com - Ferries that serve the British Columbia coast.
www.bctransit.com/regions/vic (Victoria Regional Transit System)
www.translink.ca (Greater Vancouver Transit Authority)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver