Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 09:41 PM

250 posts, read 378,642 times

Advertisements

This may be the first of several threads I start as I get into Vegetarian/Vegan food and cooking. Sorry if this has been asked repeatedly.

Where do I get my protein if I don't want to base my diet on soy? I actually don't want to have to eat any soy at all if I can help it. I know beans and peanut butter, but what else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2010, 11:48 AM

1,031 posts, read 2,440,674 times
From happycow.net:

PROTEIN IN LEGUMES: Garbanzo beans, Kidney beans, Lentils, Lima beans, Navy beans, Soybeans, Split peas
PROTEIN IN GRAINS: Barley, Brown rice, Buckwheat, Millet, Oatmeal, Quinoa, Rye, Wheat germ, Wheat, hard red, Wild rice
VEGETABLE PROTEIN: Artichokes, Beets, Broccoli, Brussels sprouts, Cabbage, Cauliflower, Cucumbers, Eggplant, Green peas, Green pepper, Kale, Lettuce, Mushrooms, Mustard green, Onions, Potatoes, Spinach, Tomatoes, Turnip greens, Watercress, Yams, Zucchini
PROTEIN IN FRUITS: Apple, Banana, Cantaloupe, Grape, Grapefruit, Honeydew melon, Orange, Papaya, Peach, Pear, Pineapple, Strawberry, Tangerine, Watermelon
PROTEIN IN NUTS AND SEEDS: Almonds, Cashews, Filberts, Hemp Seeds, Peanuts, Pumpkin seeds, Sesame seeds, Sunflower seeds, Walnuts (black)

Old 01-16-2011, 12:50 AM

3,731 posts, read 5,735,904 times
You'd be amazed what has Amino Acids (the building blocks of Protein). Leafy Green Vegetables, for one.

Even Kombusha has Protein: a quarter of what you'll get from Chicken Soup, and half that of Skim Milk.

And you don't have to consume the Amino Acids at the same time (or, apparently, on the same day) for them to be combined by the body to form Protein.

Think like an Orangutan. They go around in the Jungle, eating a little of this, a little of that... Enough variety, and you're getting what you need.

Be sure to check out the Grain Flakes, sold in bulk, at Whole Foods cooperatives. Rye Flakes, Barley Flakes, Rolled Oats.... Besides Protein, all three are great for leveling-out Blood Sugar levels... a good, stable energy production, instead of highs and lows. Grain Flakes (simply rolled grains) are quick to cook, and can be stirred in toward the end of cooking, if you want to thicken a dish. Also, when I'm poaching Cabbage (half an inch of water in the bottom of a covered pan/skillet), I'll add rolled grains to soak up the poaching liquid. Or, when I'm steaming vegetables, I'll sprinkle some rolled Oats or Rye on top.

My personal favorites for protein are Buckwheat and Quinoa: but Millet is wonderful, too, along with so many more. And really, it's difficult to not get enough Protein. You're smart to look askance at Soy, BTW.

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 01-16-2011 at 01:04 AM.. Reason: and...

Old 06-08-2011, 01:10 AM

3,719 posts, read 5,677,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillynillyTalc View Post
This may be the first of several threads I start as I get into Vegetarian/Vegan food and cooking. Sorry if this has been asked repeatedly.

Where do I get my protein if I don't want to base my diet on soy? I actually don't want to have to eat any soy at all if I can help it. I know beans and peanut butter, but what else?
This website might be able to help you out:

WHFoods: The World's Healthiest Foods

Old 06-09-2011, 09:45 PM

2,191 posts, read 4,795,499 times
You simply don't need that much protein to really modify your diet at all unless your a body builder. A cup of your favorite nuts a day is more than sufficient.

Old 06-16-2011, 09:35 PM

349 posts, read 861,678 times
if you want a "meaty" choice, i like seitan- it's made from wheat gluten.

Old 06-16-2011, 09:50 PM

593 posts, read 1,312,680 times
I hope you guys have heard of complete proteins, and the essential amino acids.

Old 06-16-2011, 10:23 PM

428 posts, read 1,180,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by infiri View Post
I hope you guys have heard of complete proteins, and the essential amino acids.
I have heard of them, what's your point? It isn't necessary to consume "compete" proteins at a meal. As long as you eat a variety of foods you should be fine.

Old 06-17-2011, 10:30 AM

593 posts, read 1,312,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drowningintherain2 View Post
I have heard of them, what's your point? It isn't necessary to consume "compete" proteins at a meal. As long as you eat a variety of foods you should be fine.

They are called essential amino acid for a reason, they are essential.

Old 06-17-2011, 10:35 AM

1,959 posts, read 3,092,325 times
I've been vegetarian for 16 yrs and eat very little milk, eggs, butter. Don't take vitamins, only some electrolyte tabs daily. I also was a proff dancer and work very hard in my garden now. The only problem I ever ran into was a terrific craving for tuna fish! Once I started taking flax seed oil tablets once every few days, that went away. But I eat as you folks recommend and am strong, well muscled, healthy with no vitamin/mineral definciencies. (dr check those every few yrs). Going vegetarian is very easy. It seems going vegan would be much more difficult in terms of a "complete" diet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food