Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 04:08 AM

545 posts, read 1,555,813 times

Advertisements

I'm fairly close to being a vegetarian except I still eat eggs (mostly free-range/organic and etc.) and seafood (mostly shrimp and fish, I can't afford other stuff).

Are there any health reasons to be fully vegetarian?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2011, 06:57 AM

553 posts, read 1,544,871 times
I saw bits and pieces of an interview recently with President Clinton. He is living a full vegetarian life style now. All because of clogged arteries and heart problems. I would love to be 100% vegetarian someday. I love sea food, veggies, fruits and dairy products. I fully believe in still eating milk, cheese and eggs. I will never give those up.

Before Christmas I went on a 30 day diet that excluded all meat from my diet and I dropped 8 pounds instantly. Then Christmas came and went and of course I got those 8 pounds back. So, that right there tells me that it's a healthier lifestyle for myself.

Old 02-09-2011, 04:44 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,591,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkiel View Post
I'm fairly close to being a vegetarian except I still eat eggs (mostly free-range/organic and etc.) and seafood (mostly shrimp and fish, I can't afford other stuff).

Are there any health reasons to be fully vegetarian?
oh good- someone who is 'mostly veg' like me ... um, my answer: because i think vegetables have less fat. however, in my world (imo), the downside to that is that veggies need a lot of salt, but then again, meat needs a lot of salt too. well, my taste buds say so. jmo.

Old 02-11-2011, 06:45 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,971,084 times
The long-term health benefits.

Old 02-12-2011, 05:54 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,350,826 times
DH and I are not vegetarian, but he was until we met. He was raised vegetarian due to his religion - his family are Seventh Day Adventists, and they (not all) are strict vegetarians. The children were allowed milk and some dairy products when they were small, but they were not allowed to have sugar; and alcohol, coffee, or other caffeinated drinks are taboo.

He gave up the vegetarianism completely when he met me (no, I did NOT force him - he liked meat, but never knew how to cook it himself). Our oldest daughter became a vegetarian at age 13, and still is many years later (not due to religion, she just doesn't really like meat).

Last edited by Mrs. Skeffington; 02-12-2011 at 06:04 AM..

Old 02-12-2011, 01:21 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,468,260 times
I am a vegetarian because of the way animals are treated in factory farming and in slaughter. It disgusts and horrifies me.
That is the reason and the only reason that compelled me to stop eating animals in 1989.
Any heath benefits for me are gravy,
Meat free gravy.
There is so much delicious food to eat without cruelty and with compassion.
I see no need for meat.

Old 02-12-2011, 01:24 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,468,260 times
I am not hard core - mostly veg people get a thumbs up from me! :-)
It was a process for me, beginning with veal and a Smith's song "Meat is Murder"
I started to look into it and meat became history.

Old 02-13-2011, 09:09 AM

442 posts, read 1,296,941 times
i try to be 100% vegan but sometimes i fail. either way i refuse to eat meat, fish, eggs, and milk. sometimes milk gets snuck into my coffee or i eat pizza every now and then and feel a little guilty. its for the animals mostly and i enjoy the food better this way

Old 02-17-2011, 05:50 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,210,944 times
EARTHLINGS - Make the Connection. | Nation Earth

This movie wasn't the cause of me becoming a vegetarian, but it's definitely for most of the same reasons. The health aspects are added perks, but had nothing to do with my choice. I just couldn't pretend to ignore what was going on in some of our country's slaughterhouses anymore, so I swore to myself I would never ever contribute another dime to that industry nor would I eat another living creature. So yes, I am a vegetarian because my morals require me to be, and what little dairy I consume I make sure they do not come from the factories.

Old 02-22-2011, 11:54 AM

1,904 posts, read 3,988,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I am a vegetarian because of the way animals are treated in factory farming and in slaughter. It disgusts and horrifies me.
That is the reason and the only reason that compelled me to stop eating animals in 1989.
Any heath benefits for me are gravy,
Meat free gravy.
There is so much delicious food to eat without cruelty and with compassion.
I see no need for meat.
What she said!!

I read several books on the benefits of eating organic as well eating vegetarian. It helped me start eating better (organic & local fruits/vegetables, pasteur raised animals.) Then, I read "Eating Animals" by Joel Safran Foer about 8 months ago and have been a vegetarian ever since.

I most definitely feel healthier. One thing I would caution new vegetarians on is getting enouch nutrients and eating too many processed foods. These can nullify any health benefits, for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food