Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2011, 09:39 AM

74 posts, read 78,756 times

Advertisements

Concerning HEART DISEASE new research shows that Vegetarians have significantly lower blood pressure, waist circumference, body mass index, blood sugar, and triglycerides, compared with nonvegetarians, according to a recent study published in Diabetes Care.

In 1,011 randomly selected Adventist Health Study-2 participants, metabolic syndrome, a cluster of disease risk factors associated with heart disease and diabetes, was lowest among vegetarians (25.2 percent), followed by semi-vegetarians (37.6 percent), and highest among nonvegetarians (39.7 percent).

Credits: Rizzo NS, Sabate J, Jaceldo-Siegl K, Fraser G E. Vegetarian dietary patterns are associated with a lower risk of metabolic syndrome: the Adventist Health Study 2. Diabetes Care. Published ahead of print March 16, 2011. doi: 10.3945/ajcn.110.004028.

Increased Animal Products in Diet leads to Increased CATARACT Risk. Eating animal products increases the risk of cataracts, according to a new study published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. Based on findings from 27,670 participants in the European Prospective Investigation in Cancer and Nutrition (EPIC-Oxford) study, meat intake was positively associated with risk of cataracts.

The participants were divided into six diet groups: highest meat consumption, mid-range meat consumption, least meat consumption, fish-eaters, vegetarians, and vegans. Compared with those who ate the most meat, the risks for developing cataracts after adjusting for multiple confounders including age and smoking were as follows: mid-range meat consumption participants decreased their cataract risk by 4 percent, least meat consumption group by 15 percent, fish-eaters by 21 percent, vegetarians by 30 percent, and those who followed a vegan diet by 40 percent.

Credits: Appleby PN, Allen NK, Key TJ. Diet, vegetarianism, and cataract risk. Am J Clin Nutr. Published ahead of print March 23, 2011. doi
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2011, 09:53 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,658,815 times
After the thought was suggested to me that vegetarians look younger and always have more healthy skin I started researching it. I found some very recent studies in Europe showing long time vegetarians are indeed healthier, have better skin and look younger.

I am mistaken for 15 to 20 years younger all the time and proudly love it.

Yes......again....more reasons not to eat disgusting meat.

Old 04-09-2011, 09:56 AM

577 posts, read 900,372 times
I would agree, but even Dr Fuhrman of Eat to Live fame says that a very small amount of animal products may not be harmful (and in the case of fish, might be beneficial). By small amount I mean VERY small amount as in.... hardly ever. I think he says the max is 8% of total food intake can be animal derived. That equals, I think, 1-2 meals every week or so, out of 21 meals. The rest should be vegan.

I too get people bowled over by my age, they invariably think I'm younger .

Old 04-14-2011, 01:02 PM

16 posts, read 21,815 times
Default Lots Of Veggies

Lots and lots of veggies is truly the way to go.... Stay healthy... I am so glad that I love vegetables and eat them in unlimited quantities everyday. Enjoy your day people

Old 04-18-2011, 01:16 PM

1,075 posts, read 4,311,148 times
Interesting results of the cataract study.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food