Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 11:58 AM

105 posts, read 573,652 times

Advertisements

When I went from vegetarian to vegan I was a little overwhelmed with all the recipes there were, often with items which I did not recognize. I've come to love a lot of those unfamiliar things (tahini, firm and soft tofu, hemp milk, ginger root, etc.) but I still don't like following recipes; I'd rather make my own and I experiment every day, replacing the southern dishes I grew up with, with vegan alternatives. I'm even thinking of doing a cookbook.

Even though you know that it's cheaper, in both the short and long term, it's better for you, you'll live longer and be in less pain towards the end of your life, and less trouble to yourself and your loved ones, and that it causes less suffering in the world by limiting the pain caused to innocent animals, and that it's very much better for the environment...even if you know these things, it's still a big learning curve, and it's difficult to stay focused if you grew up eating chicken fried steak, etc., and feel drawn to your comfort foods.

So we have to make the vegan alternatives our new comfort foods, and I think people can do that if we stay at it, and provide information.

Today for breakfast I had a Boca burger, sauteed with mushrooms, and a big bowl of salad greens, with tomatoes, carrots and avacados. Lunch was two wraps in non-fat tortillas, made from vegan refried beans and a mix of vegetables chopped in a food processor (peppers, green onions, lime, avacado). I'm also baking bread today. I'm full, though, and I don't think I'll eat any more today; maybe some decaf green tea tonight.

Postscript:
I do a vinegrette dressing with 2 parts rice wine vinegar and one part olive oil, with a big dollop of brown mustard and restaurant-style black pepper, and onion and garlic powder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2011, 12:11 PM

105 posts, read 573,652 times
I discovered how to make really, really good "ice cream." What I did yesterday was to take a block of soft tofu, drain it, and then in a food processor put a couple of frozen bananas (cut up), five or six frozen strawberries (you can buy big bags of them at Walmart, sugar-free), with a 1/2 an orange (peeled, of course) and three small packs of Truvia.

This makes the best ice cream, ever, serves two people, and will fill you up for hours. You could serve it up with chopped walnuts on the top.

Old 09-09-2011, 09:36 PM

44 posts, read 74,595 times
BREAKFAST is usually - cereal consisting of uncooked whole oats, juice of one apple, grapes, sunflowers and flax seeds, raisins, chopped walnuts.

MID-MORNING I like my green juice - this varies but my favorite right now is 2 leaves of kale, 2 Fuji apples and juice of 1/4 lime.

Sometimes I'll juice carrots, celery, apples, beets, parsley, kale, spinach, garlic, ginger. It really just depends on the mood I'm in.

LUNCH- smoothie - depends on what's available. Yesterday and today's smoothie was handful of spinach leaves, coconut water, banana, peach, orange, carrots, red grapes, and hemp hearts. I also love to make my own almond milk for Superfood Shakes that are made of almond milk, raw cacao, banana, cinnamon and some superfood supplements.

I also drink a LOT of "Apple cider vinegar Lemonade" (quart of water, 2-3 TBSP of raw honey, 2-3 TBSP of raw apple cider vinegar, 1 cinnamon stick, 1/2 lemon, squeezed and then dropped into the quart.) YUMMMMYYY!!!

DINNER - Salad

Snacks include bananas sprinkled with sunflower seeds or buckwheat/goji bars that I make, grapefruit, etc.

During the summer I eat much lighter. During the winter, I'll make more involved meals like pasta made out of zucchini, or "Mock Salmon Pate" made from nuts, celery, red peppers, and green onions, wrapped in a romaine leaf.

Since dairy triggers my asthma, I freeze bananas and run them through my juicer to make a soft serve ice cream. I also mix raw cacao powder with maple syrup or raw honey and a pinch of pink himalayan salt and a bit of coconut oil and drizzle it over my banana soft serve.

I find that buying fresh produce in season from local farmers markets, as well as nuts and seeds can be less expensive than all the SAD (Standard American Diet) food that I used to consume. PLUS...my health is phenomenal and I'm fit. My allergies are GONE, asthma controlled through diet rather than drugs, blood pressure and cholesterol normal, and last physical showed blood panel excellent. It's most definitely much cheaper in the long run! Besides, I'd much rather spend my money on food than on doctors and pharmaceuticals.

Old 09-10-2011, 09:55 AM

1,812 posts, read 3,359,246 times
awesome thread got some great ideas. xo

Old 09-10-2011, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CocoaNut View Post

I also drink a LOT of "Apple cider vinegar Lemonade" (quart of water, 2-3 TBSP of raw honey, 2-3 TBSP of raw apple cider vinegar, 1 cinnamon stick, 1/2 lemon, squeezed and then dropped into the quart.) YUMMMMYYY!!!

can one make bigger batch of this Apple cider vinegar lemmonade? Do you grind the Cinnamon or do you just place the stick in the container you make your ACVL in Thanks

Old 09-10-2011, 04:58 PM

Location: (Orginally From Ann Arbor, MI) Now reside in Evans, Georgia
560 posts, read 1,143,002 times
lots of raw veggies fruits, dehydrated varieties. Beans, lentials, green tea, peanut butter, nuts ( all kinds)cranberries, nuts, herbs, water

Old 09-10-2011, 07:42 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,042,490 times
tomato avocado salad almost every single day!

Old 09-10-2011, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30STM View Post
can one make bigger batch of this Apple cider vinegar lemmonade?
Sure! Just quadruple the recipe. I usually make a quart and sometimes I don't finish it, so I put it in the fridge and finish it the next day. It tastes fine.

Quote:
Do you grind the Cinnamon or do you just place the stick in the container you make your ACVL in Thanks
I place a 3" organic cinnamon stick in a quart of distilled water because cinnamon powder doesn't mix. It just floats on the top. Yuck.

Recommendations: If you are making a gallon, you will probably want to use four sticks. I also use organic lemons, raw honey and distilled water.

You may have to play with the quantities to get the taste you like. I prefer it a little on the sweet side, so I use a little extra honey.

Enjoy! There are TONS of benefits to drinking ACV. It is VERY beneficial to your health.

Last edited by CocoaNut; 09-10-2011 at 08:44 PM.. Reason: Brain fart.

Old 09-11-2011, 02:02 AM

thank you SO MUCH.. going to the health food store Sunday and getting my supplies xo xo xo

I hear the ACV is great if you're trying to slim down or stay slim.

Old 09-11-2011, 06:26 PM

Quote:
thank you SO MUCH.. going to the health food store Sunday and getting my supplies xo xo xo

Quote:
I hear the ACV is great if you're trying to slim down or stay slim.
Yes, it is! Plus, I haven't been sick since I started drinking ACVL, so this is a good time of year to start drinking it. It has helped tremendously with my asthma too. A friend of mine replaced soda with ACVL and lost over 20 pounds in just a couple of months and was able to eliminate one of her diabetes prescriptions. The other one was cut in half. I'll have to follow up with her. Haven't seen her in a couple of months. Great stuff!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food