Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 06:28 PM

44 posts, read 74,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidrah View Post
tomato avocado salad almost every single day!
Avocado is excellent for you. Wish I could acquire a taste for it, but it's been a struggle for me. The only way I can consume it is in smoothies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2011, 03:55 PM

2,271 posts, read 2,649,327 times
I've decided to make the switch to a plant-based diet. My body had started to reject (or at least cuss out) meat, oils, sugars, and dairy. When I eat clean, I feel clean. When I eat meat, I feel like a lead balloon. I'm doing this as an investment in my health in a day and age where health care costs are insane and the drugs and "treatments" are more dangerous than ever.

I just bought an Omega VRT350 HD Juicer and am going to use it to detoxify and rebuild my body for the next 30-60 days. With all the research I've done, I know the detoxing won't be pleasant and that people around me may die if it the process goes too quickly! So, before I begin to juice, I'll be eating whole, raw foods, drinking plenty of clean water and having the occasional juice for two weeks to give the detoxing a slow head start. Then I'll gradually wean off the solids until I get to juice only. Hopefully, this will lessen the shock on my body and make for a more pleasant (tolerable) detox experience. When it's all said and done, I won't be following any special fads or specific diets. My goal is to eat God-made food (those that haven't been altered into GMOs) instead of man-made food.

What's the biggest thing I'll miss? My coffee with evaporated milk and sugar. I will love you always.

Old 09-12-2011, 04:04 PM

105 posts, read 573,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plain and simple View Post
What's the biggest thing I'll miss? My coffee with evaporated milk and sugar. I will love you always.
Get organic coffee, and use soy or hemp milk (or almond), and use Truvia (Stevia). Just as good (better, really) and won't hurt you or mother earth.

PS: I don't work for them, but I get a lot of stuff from SunOrganic Farm. Their couscous is unreal, it's so good. So too is their powdered soy milk, Medjool dates, and a host of other things:

http://www.sunorganicfarm.com/

I don't approve of the honey (it's not vegan) and they do have some products with sugar in it, but for the most part it's cool.

My lunch today:

Couscous (organic) topped with some stir fried veggies and some fried tofu. Is use low sodium soy sauce to soak the tofu. It was GOOD.

Breakfast, BTW, was oatmeal with chopped dates (3 large Medjool), raisens (boiled first before I added the oats), and a few pieces of walnuts, some oat bran, and a few strawberries. And the coffee (see above). Oh, and a drizzle of unsweetened soy milk on the cereal, with Truvia. I'm full now and can't do a third meal. I think two meals are fine, with maybe a piece of fruit. If I get hungry at night, I just live with it (acknowldge it without doing anything about it), and I find it goes away.

I also have distilled water delivered and that's all I use for cooking and drinking, especially making coffee or teas.

Last edited by caligali; 09-12-2011 at 04:13 PM..

Old 09-12-2011, 04:09 PM

1,801 posts, read 3,553,043 times
Carrot, apple and celery juice for breakfast.

I love bananas (a particular kind which is very common in Spain, called plátano de Canarias), so it's usually thrown in somewhere.

Some quinoa is a must or, alternatively, legumes and brown rice.

Old 09-12-2011, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligali View Post
Get organic coffee, and use soy or hemp milk (or almond), and use Truvia (Stevia). Just as good (better, really) and won't hurt you or mother earth.
Regardless of what so many people think, there are health benefits to coffee. I'm sure I won't stop drinking it forever, but I'm going to give myself six months without it. Then I'll try it again and see how it goes. From my research, coffee is coffee. It's all tainted whether it's regular, organic, fair trade, or whatever.

As for sweeteners, I won't go back to using them in my coffee. I'll learn to drink it black or just with homemade nut/seed milk. I'll try sweetening the milk, possibly, with medjool dates. My new juicer makes these kinds of milks, so it will be convenient! I won't ever get into the powdered sweeteners. For me, personally, they're ridiculous. I fully understand why some people use them and I'm not against it! They're ridiculously expensive and not "healthy." They're alternatives, which is great, but not for me. The research I've done on them so far shows that they aren't that much different than plain old sugar. Agave included. Sugar is sugar is sugar. Might as well use the white stuff if you're going to sweeten something. It's cheaper and new studies are showing they all have the same effects on the body.

Quote:
PS: I don't work for them, but I get a lot of stuff from SunOrganic Farm. Their couscous is unreal, it's so good. So too is their powdered soy milk, Medjool dates, and a host of other things:

I don't approve of the honey (it's not vegan) and they do have some products with sugar in it, but for the most part it's cool.
I'll check them out! Thanks for the recommendation! To me, honey is natural and I have no problem with it as long as it's raw and unpasteurized. Whether it's considered vegan or not makes no difference to me because I'm not concerned about the title but the way of eating.

Quote:
I also have distilled water delivered and that's all I use for cooking and drinking, especially making coffee or teas.
I hadn't thought about this but I think I'll check it out and find out how expensive it is. It would definitely be worth it. My Brita filter is just not cutting it! (But, it's better than nothing! And it's better than carting cases of water up to my apartment!)

Old 09-12-2011, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noela View Post
Carrot, apple and celery juice for breakfast.

I love bananas (a particular kind which is very common in Spain, called plátano de Canarias), so it's usually thrown in somewhere.

Some quinoa is a must or, alternatively, legumes and brown rice.
I'm trying so hard to learn to like quinoa. I like every other grain except this one. Well, except lavender rice. That stuff is just wrong.

I'm so excited to get my juicer that it's driving me nuts! The guy in the video below is hysterical and makes a Green Pina Colada that sounds incredibly delicious! He's unapologetic about the fruit sugar content and says that this juice isn't there to brag about it's nutritional content but to "set your tongue off on a wild roller coaster ride of ecstasy!"

Power Juice Feast and Cleanse Day #22 - Green Pina Colada Recipe - YouTube

Old 09-12-2011, 05:57 PM

A question for vegans and juicers: Do you use supplements? For example, the guy in the video above uses a green, powdered vitamineral. At $50 a bottle (on Amazon)... yikes!

Is it possible to get your full nutrition without having to take expensive supplements? Or are there certain supplements that you would consider, without a doubt, essential?

Old 09-13-2011, 08:10 AM

Quote:
As for sweeteners, I won't go back to using them in my coffee. I'll learn to drink it black or just with homemade nut/seed milk. I'll try sweetening the milk, possibly, with medjool dates. My new juicer makes these kinds of milks, so it will be convenient! I won't ever get into the powdered sweeteners. For me, personally, they're ridiculous. I fully understand why some people use them and I'm not against it! They're ridiculously expensive and not "healthy." They're alternatives, which is great, but not for me. The research I've done on them so far shows that they aren't that much different than plain old sugar. Agave included. Sugar is sugar is sugar. Might as well use the white stuff if you're going to sweeten something. It's cheaper and new studies are showing they all have the same effects on the body.
If I understand correctly, there is a very big distinction between artificial sweeteners and Stevia. Artificial sweeteners are chemical compounds, while Stevia is merely a plant, used in Europe and elsewhere for a very long time. And, rather than damage the body, it's actually good for you.

Looks like you're adopting veganism for health reasons, which of course is perfectly legitimate. Some people adopt veganism because of animal cruelty issues. And the --substantial-- health benefits are just a side issue. Food choices then become more of a philosophical issue (or spiritual, if you will).

Old 09-13-2011, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligali View Post
If I understand correctly, there is a very big distinction between artificial sweeteners and Stevia. Artificial sweeteners are chemical compounds, while Stevia is merely a plant, used in Europe and elsewhere for a very long time. And, rather than damage the body, it's actually good for you.
I'll have to look into it. I've never heard of a sweetener that's actually "good" for you. I'm not saying it's not and it would be great! I just haven't looked into them yet.

Here's my biggest beef with anything organic, natural or good for you: It's all over-priced. It costs LESS to grow organic food but they charge MORE for it. So, when it comes to the "be nice to the planet" and "go green" hype, I call hypocrisy. If these people really did care about these things, they wouldn't charge exorbitantly, and make it affordable for all people to be able to eat organic and THAT would put the chemical additives and GMO freaks out of business. But, greed is just as alive in the natural food movement as it is in Big Business and government.

Quote:
Looks like you're adopting veganism for health reasons, which of course is perfectly legitimate. Some people adopt veganism because of animal cruelty issues. And the --substantial-- health benefits are just a side issue. Food choices then become more of a philosophical issue (or spiritual, if you will).
Yes, I'm adopting the vegan lifestyle for the health benefits. I don't have any problems with people who are doing it for the animal cruelty issues or spiritual issues. I wish them well! I only object when they push their agendas on others, like PETA does. I have no respect for them whatsoever. I believe a person has serious problems when they esteem animals above people. I've met people who have out-right said that they would rather see people get hurt or die than animals. I have no respect for this type of person.

I hate animal cruelty and I'd protect any animal I saw being abused. I firmly believe animals being raised for food should be treated humanely and well. However, I don't have any issues with people eating meat, dairy, eggs, etc.,

Old 09-14-2011, 12:37 PM

Quote:
I hate animal cruelty and I'd protect any animal I saw being abused. I firmly believe animals being raised for food should be treated humanely and well. However, I don't have any issues with people eating meat, dairy, eggs, etc.,
Yes, but animals in factory farms are *not* treated "humanely and well." Not at all. That's just propaganda from the meat and dairy industries. Honestly.

If you do a few searches on YouTube, you'll find out the truth of matters, and you may not feel the same afterwards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food